The Falkirk FC Thread

43 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I would thouroughly enjoy Sibbs being given the free role behind the strikers. That talismanic playmaker is aleady here but its too late to ask him to do it by the sounds of it. I also wouldnt mind Hippolyte being given a crack in behind, assuming we can get our width from wee Tony combining with whoever plays LCM in the same fashion as Sibbs and Leahy do.

Oh, you are awful...

7 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Plays the same role as Kerr who is 12 years older than Stanton.

Dumbarton fans raving about him last season.

With respect you will have seen him 3/4 times tops.

The same Dumbarton fans rave about the likes of David Smith etc. Honestly signing the likes of Stanton is utterly brutal stuff and says to me we  are quite content to stay at championship level.

Houston talks a good game after we get knocked out the playoffs and then does exactly the opposite. Says we need better quality and then targets a player like feckin Stanton who'll be getting freed by hibs in a year. Another lightweight too. Friday night was bad enough without this.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Plays the same role as Kerr who is 12 years older than Stanton.

Dumbarton fans raving about him last season.

With respect you will have seen him 3/4 times tops.

He isn't the same type of midfielder as Kerr at all, he's more similar to Sibbald if anything, if you were to play him in a Kerr type role it would be like playing Sibbald there.

Genuinely, purely based on their performances against us last year I'd rather have Stanton than Sibbald, I think he's a cracking player. If I were a Falkirk fan though my main worry would be if you have him, Sibbald, McKee and Craigan they all want to play behind the striker, it's quite a samey midfield.

Then again I'm also a massive fan of Kerr, can't understand why so many Falkirk fans want him to leave.

The same Dumbarton fans rave about the likes of David Smith etc. Honestly signing the likes of Stanton is utterly brutal stuff and says to me we  are quite content to stay at championship level.

You like me will have seen him maybe 10 times tops.

I think he is a replacement for older legs in the team.

I agree we need 3/4 better quality but you do need to keep 7/10 players too.

I will reserve judgement till I see what he brings and what else we bring in

11 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

You like me will have seen him maybe 10 times tops.

I think he is a replacement for older legs in the team.

I agree we need 3/4 better quality but you do need to keep 7/10 players too.

I will reserve judgement till I see what he brings and what else we bring in

Yeah and he's been bang average on every occasion. Member of that great liv ie team that got relegated by stranraer.  I'd rather we looked at the likes of Lindsay who was on Loan at Morton last year.

If we signed a quality right back, good midfield hard man and a quality front man we won't be far away next season but they need to be better standard .

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah and he's been bang average on every occasion. Member of that great liv ie team that got relegated by stranraer.  I'd rather we looked at the likes of Lindsay who was on Loan at Morton last year.

Watch out, we raved about him too, if that's one of your measures for not taking someone.

He's a good player right enough.

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

He isn't the same type of midfielder as Kerr at all, he's more similar to Sibbald if anything, if you were to play him in a Kerr type role it would be like playing Sibbald there.

Genuinely, purely based on their performances against us last year I'd rather have Stanton than Sibbald, I think he's a cracking player. If I were a Falkirk fan though my main worry would be if you have him, Sibbald, McKee and Craigan they all want to play behind the striker, it's quite a samey midfield.

Then again I'm also a massive fan of Kerr, can't understand why so many Falkirk fans want him to leave.

Kerr's been a cracking player and a great servant to Falkirk over 2 spells. He's still as good a player but nowadays needs another few seconds on the ball which often leads to him getting caught in possession and means he can't quite deliver what he used to. I think most of us just realise that this situation is only going to worsen as he gets older and that we need to be looking at fresh options for the future as a result.

In saying that, I wouldn't be adverse to him staying on in a player-coach type role as he's obviously got a lot that he can pass on to the youngsters and may be a good option to bring on to close games out, but definitely not as the main man in midfield.

Kerr's been a cracking player and a great servant to Falkirk over 2 spells. He's still as good a player but nowadays needs another few seconds on the ball which often leads to him getting caught in possession and means he can't quite deliver what he used to. I think most of us just realise that this situation is only going to worsen as he gets older and that we need to be looking at fresh options for the future as a result.
In saying that, I wouldn't be adverse to him staying on in a player-coach type role as he's obviously got a lot that he can pass on to the youngsters and may be a good option to bring on to close games out, but definitely not as the main man in midfield.

Kerr and Baird played enough games to get a contract. I guess it will be up to the players now what they want to do. I heard last night that most of the players who are OoC would be happy to stay

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

Kerr and Baird played enough games to get a contract. I guess it will be up to the players now what they want to do. I heard last night that most of the players who are OoC would be happy to stay

Do you mean that they've got a 'play x# of games = new contract' type deal, as McCracken apparently had, or is that just in your opinion? If it's the former do you know if this is something that we offer to most of the squad?

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We are not going to get an experienced, finished article playmaker unless we land it very lucky signing an unknown quantity or the board free up significant funds. Someone like Stanton fits Houstons apparent MO of taking these guys and helping them take their game up a notch.

Not saying I am happy or unhappy with it, all I am saying is that appears to be what it is.

Im saying that, working to that MO could (and has in the past) have resulted in a much less inspiring signing than Stanton so I wont complain. I hope given Craigens contributions in the last two games, lots of other people on here will consider giving him a chance for more than 5 minutes, if indeed he signs.

The bod need to loosen the wage structure to allow us to get better players in. We won't go up If we are restricted in what we can pay players. Whilst the overall wage  bill has to have a limit of course Houston should be allowed to decide what he does with the money. If that means signing one player on 1500 quid  a week instead of 3 on 500 then that needs to be allowed to happen.  Problem with craigen was he was signed as a right mid and played there by Houston when he is far better as a centre mid. Took Houston far to long to realise that. To win the league we need to up our game big style on the signing front especially if du don't go up as they can't be anywhere as poor next season as they've been this one.

I reckon Rory loy would be a decent replacement for McHugh and Baird. Guaranteed 15-17 goals a season in the champ and would be a great partner for Austin. He's the kind of player we should be in for quick and not players like Stanton who will still be looking for a game with someone come August.

It's pretty obvious that our previous MO isn't working as we've been in this league now for 8 years.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Carl Finnigan- now there's a blast from the past. Now playing for South Shields at Wembley. Commentator just mentioned him in the build-up. Carl winning at the moment  Sorry if off-topic. Getting over Friday.

6 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

Grant, Craigen and Austin, could honestly take or leave anyone else tbh

Craigen was absolute mint in the play-offs. Can see him being a big player for us next season, thats if Housty plays him in the right position.

4 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Fair enough. I must be wrong then and if I am I apologise.

However, I say that because you used to post a lot about a certain youth player, and once defended him by posting a newspaper cutting in his defence when someone on here slagged him off. Most normal fans don't keep newspaper cuttings about players.  

At the start of the season we played Albion Rovers in a friendly. You (as Hope Street) posted an image of the view from your seat on P&B. The same image - and comment - appeared on the social media of one of the youth players' fathers. I'd say that was pretty conclusive proof. 

Calm down Columbo