The Falkirk FC Thread

due to who has been in this league the past few seasons i can understand why we didnt have a serious push at winning the league by spending cash.

when you honestly look at this seasons squad we didnt have the basis of a top league side to build on. thats got to be the target next year. spend money get the building blocks in place and go for a title win.

we have to be getting shot of the likes of kidd, the *** pr*ck and Bob. Kerr and BSLM are getting past it, bslm will still be available for cameos but not someone we can rely on when if we were to go up.

Feel as bad this morning as I did last night. We needed to go up.

We'll lose 5/6 players in the summer and replace them with kids who've barely played as Houstie was banking on this squad taking us up. There's no cash & with ST prices going up we'll have less than the 3000+ this year I reckon. Wouldn't be surprised to see it reduce by at least 500.

Watch us announce a couple of players signing back on in the coming days that won't go down well too.

Football can feck off till July.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We have a spine in place. McKee has to stay. We need width on the right. Depending on who we lose we arent too far away from a team who SHOULD challenge for the title next year. It may be for the best to do our building in this league next season. I dont want to scrape up with a poor team I want to win the league woth a team that has a chance of staying up.

McKee is a decent player when he is fit but that is seldom for more than half a season.   

Best player on the park last night by a country mile Murray.

Come up through junior football, Arbroath, then Untd. 

He has a hunger that shows he wants to play at the highest level possible. 

Most of the Falkirk team just seem to accept the level they are playing at. 

Every year is the same the team that wants it more always beat Falkirk, last night one player from Dundee United wanted to give his all and that was enough to win the game.

Some player's last night played that game probably knowing if Falkirk progressed to the Premier league they would no longer be required. 

Houston needs to get his recruitment correct for next season and bring in player's with a hunger to better themselves, not player's who are comfortable picking up a wage weekly knowing that in all probability they will reach the playoffs and that this basically keeps everyone happy. 

Best player on the park last night by a country mile Murray.
Come up through junior football, Arbroath, then Untd. 
He has a hunger that shows he wants to play at the highest level possible. 
Most of the Falkirk team just seem to accept the level they are playing at. 
Every year is the same the team that wants it more always beat Falkirk, last night one player from Dundee United wanted to give his all and that was enough to win the game.
Some player's last night played that game probably knowing if Falkirk progressed to the Premier league they would no longer be required. 
Houston needs to get his recruitment correct for next season and bring in player's with a hunger to better themselves, not player's who are comfortable picking up a wage weekly knowing that in all probability they will reach the playoffs and that this basically keeps everyone happy. 

Don't agree with this at all.

I though Kerr in particular was magnificent in the first half and throughout the first leg. Leahy and Craigen also had good games.

Not sure it was not a mentality issue. We were a goal up going into the last half hour with United giving everything they had left in the tank. We just backed off too much and could not work our way back into it.

38 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Don't agree with this at all.

I though Kerr in particular was magnificent in the first half and throughout the first leg. Leahy and Craigen also had good games.

Not sure it was not a mentality issue. We were a goal up going into the last half hour with United giving everything they had left in the tank. We just backed off too much and could not work our way back into it.

So you mention three names ? I'll not mention names as that's not the point. 

Falkirk didn't back off, Dundee United didn't have anything to worry about once the substitutions were made, nobody running in behind them, no pressure on the untd defence. 

Falkirk basically said, come on then let's see what you've got and set up on the half way line. 

Both Falkirk striker's were chasing balls and putting pressure on the untd defence in the first half, sadly no player achieved that in the second half, not even close. 

So you mention three names ? I'll not mention names as that's not the point. 
Falkirk didn't back off, Dundee United didn't have anything to worry about once the substitutions were made, nobody running in behind them, no pressure on the untd defence. 
Falkirk basically said, come on then let's see what you've got and set up on the half way line. 
Both Falkirk striker's were chasing balls and putting pressure on the untd defence in the first half, sadly no player achieved that in the second half, not even close. 

Ehm, I think you said that the problem was that the players just accepted their level? I don't think that was the case. Hence the examples.

To me the issue was mentality. As you say, we set up defensively, that invited United onto us. Houston tried to change it with the subs but it did not work.

Austen looked tired and I think should have been replaced by Miller.

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Ehm, I think you said that the problem was that the players just accepted their level? I don't think that was the case. Hence the examples.

To me the issue was mentality. As you say, we set up defensively, that invited United onto us. Houston tried to change it with the subs but it did not work.

Austen looked tired and I think should have been replaced by Miller.

I'll say it again and also put it a different way maybe you will understand. 

Player's accept the level they are playing at, perhaps some not good enough for this level hence the result.

You cannot put it down to mentality every single season.

Next season Falkirk will be expected to win the championship, that will create pressure almost immediately. 

Like I said recruitment has to be right or I'm afraid by February you will be on about the mentality factor yet again.

Player's with hunger win games, last night proved that.

I'll say it again and also put it a different way maybe you will understand. 
Player's accept the level they are playing at, perhaps some not good enough for this level hence the result.
You cannot put it down to mentality every single season.
Next season Falkirk will be expected to win the championship, that will create pressure almost immediately. 
Like I said recruitment has to be right or I'm afraid by February you will be on about the mentality factor yet again.
Player's with hunger win games, last night proved that.

We won't win the league next season, sounds like we will be budgeting for 4th & hoping for the best.

Very interesting times ahead. 100% sure Houston will be there in the dug out next season. He won't walk and board won't sack him and part of me says he deserves one more crack at it but sometimes wish we would be far more adventurous even if we win 4-3 rather than shutting up shop after 50 mins when we are 1-0 up and holding out for the rest of the game. Or continually starting off slowly and chasing the game as happened many times this season. Gets a bit tiresome watching his safety first tactics. I expect announcements in the next week regarding Sibbald and Leahy leaving and others bring relieved of their duties for example Baird and Mchugh please!!

What basis are you using for this? I am not confident that we will be spunking a load of cash, but equally I think its a bit early to be throwing about this sort of patter

A conversation I had with someone post match that seems to know what's what.

I fully expect the team to be a bit more "youthful" next season. Wouldn't be shocked to see Maybury in & Houstie into the directors box tbh.

We all need to wait and see what happens close season.

I am sure there will be players in and out. Will be tough next season that's for sure. 

Crowds over the whole league will be down. Jobs are away and potentially Utd. We will have Livvy and Brechin/Alloa.

We will be the main scalp for teams next year. Tough but good times ahead.

7 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

A conversation I had with someone post match that seems to know what's what.

I fully expect the team to be a bit more "youthful" next season. Wouldn't be shocked to see Maybury in & Houstie into the directors box tbh.

Was a 'youthful' player who turned us over last night. No complaints on this strategy for me as long as there's a peppering of experience throughout. 

In terms of players it's hard to say without understanding how the board will set up, who should stay and go. We have an ok squad if we are targeting playoffs.

Thomson

Grant & Gallagher, possibly Muirhead plus RB and youngsters for defenders

In the middle- Hippo and Sibbs - replace Aird, Kerr, McKee, Taiwo and Craigen with someone of Vaulks ilk with a young RM and backups from academy.

Miller and Austin up front. Replace Baird & McHugh with 1 better player and support from academy.

it was said before, around 3 quality signings we'd need. But we could easily move out 7/8 'first team' players and I wouldn't be disappointed. Having the better depth did not help us this year and again having Grant as only solid CH essentially cost us.