The Falkirk FC Thread

We've been dreadful for the vast majority of the season. However, there was a moment on Tuesday and up until we scored last night where I thought: "hmm, we actually almost look like a team that could accomplish something". Even last season I didn't really feel like that at any point. Mostly because we fluked our way to victory on so many occasions and it was inevitable we would get found out eventually. We started last night's game at a good tempo, looking threatening and actually playing some good stuff. In many ways picking up where we left off on Tuesday. 

But then we scored. And then it all came back - the same soul-destroying shit that we've attempted the whole season. When has John Baird ever successfully won a long-ball or not immediately conceded possession? In my opinion, the rest of the game after we scored was a complete tactical failure. But in reality, its what we've done all season.

The respect we have given certain teams this season is just baffling, and last night was the worst of the lot. We could and should have buried them after we scored, but instead we commit to spending the next 70 minutes camped in our own half hoping we don't concede. I completely understand there is a need to sit-in more when you score, especially given the gargantuan importance of the game. But for me, it was more the manner in which we did so. It seemed like Houston thought scoring against Dundee United at home (with all those big resources) was a huge upset - so we better not go for another in case we really upset them! The lower teams in the championship don't do that when they play us, and why should they? All teams play in the 2nd tier of Scottish football for a reason - because they're not very good. Why can everyone else seem to appreciate this but not our manager? 

I like Houston. He comes across as a good guy and certainly wants the best for Falkirk, which is more than I can say for some of the imposters like Pressley and Holt. He's given us some good memories, but ultimately we have not achieved success under him. The time under his tenure has labelled us as one of the biggest bottlers in Scottish football. Of course you can say this is down to individual errors by the team, but I feel like the manner in which we approach games has severely held us back. We're crying out for fresh ideas and we've got to make the changes now so we can rebuild the team in the summer. 

Not going to quote you Just A Bairn but I agree with the vast majority of what you've said there.

Houston constantly talking us down does the players no favours. He can drone on about budgets all he wants but we got torn to shreds over the two games by players signed from Arbroath and Queens Park in Murray and Spittal. I also didn't see Dundee United using their superior resources to sign more players at half time last night.

He's correct in saying that there have been three big clubs in the league the last three seasons. We can compete though - we finished above a really good Hibs team last season.

It's a tricky one because most of those players individually are good enough to play a role in a title winning squad at this level but collectively it's not quite there. It's all very samey throughout the team. Some tough decisions to be made on the vast majority of players if we want to win this league next year. Unfortunately the reality is we'll probably lose the better ones, make more lazy signings and get beat in the playoffs again.

We are now a meme in Scottish football. Whether it's a bottle job, a hot tub, a Brexit statement or Craig Sibbald texting himself, the club make it easy to rip the pish out of Falkirk.

We've been dreadful for the vast majority of the season. However, there was a moment on Tuesday and up until we scored last night where I thought: "hmm, we actually almost look like a team that could accomplish something". Even last season I didn't really feel like that at any point. Mostly because we fluked our way to victory on so many occasions and it was inevitable we would get found out eventually. We started last night's game at a good tempo, looking threatening and actually playing some good stuff. In many ways picking up where we left off on Tuesday. 
But then we scored. And then it all came back - the same soul-destroying shit that we've attempted the whole season. When has John Baird ever successfully won a long-ball or not immediately conceded possession? In my opinion, the rest of the game after we scored was a complete tactical failure. But in reality, its what we've done all season.
The respect we have given certain teams this season is just baffling, and last night was the worst of the lot. We could and should have buried them after we scored, but instead we commit to spending the next 70 minutes camped in our own half hoping we don't concede. I completely understand there is a need to sit-in more when you score, especially given the gargantuan importance of the game. But for me, it was more the manner in which we did so. It seemed like Houston thought scoring against Dundee United at home (with all those big resources) was a huge upset - so we better not go for another in case we really upset them! The lower teams in the championship don't do that when they play us, and why should they? All teams play in the 2nd tier of Scottish football for a reason - because they're not very good. Why can everyone else seem to appreciate this but not our manager? 
I like Houston. He comes across as a good guy and certainly wants the best for Falkirk, which is more than I can say for some of the imposters like Pressley and Holt. He's given us some good memories, but ultimately we have not achieved success under him. The time under his tenure has labelled us as one of the biggest bottlers in Scottish football. Of course you can say this is down to individual errors by the team, but I feel like the manner in which we approach games has severely held us back. We're crying out for fresh ideas and we've got to make the changes now so we can rebuild the team in the summer. 

An excellent assessment of the situation in my opinion. I have many more issues with him than you have outlined here but the need for fresh ideas and chances is at the heart of it for me and that is the crux of why I think a change at the top is needed. However I concede that the board would need to part of the change and show more ambition that settling for the play offs and see what that brings us. We have witnessed 3 times what that lottery brings us!

If Houston was out of contract I'd look elsewhere. Given he's got a year left it's not worth paying him off when he's not really done anything wrong. I just wish he was more bold, didn't act like every fan is an idiot (80% are tbf), and worked a bit harder on the recruitment. If we fail to go up again next season then let him leave.

Time to regroup. Been very disappointed in the way we played most of the season. No real excitement as Houston concentrates on making us solid. Falkirk fans want to see us going forward faster. Kerr is solid but does not offer us creativity. Baird tries for 90 mins but is not exciting. Get both out. Team should be created with a spine of Grant McKee and Austin with Hippo and a n other wide player. Ohara deserves a good run in team next season as he gives us pace. Should be interesting close season.

PS I am alone in preferring us winning in the Championship rather than struggling one tier up?

If Houston was out of contract I'd look elsewhere. Given he's got a year left it's not worth paying him off when he's not really done anything wrong. I just wish he was more bold, didn't act like every fan is an idiot (80% are tbf), and worked a bit harder on the recruitment. If we fail to go up again next season then let him leave.

I think there needs to be some recognition that he has been in charge at a time when we have had Sevco, Hearts, United and Hibs in the league as competition. In that time we have been runners up twice and been to a cup final.

Assuming United go up it's a much more open Championship next season and I believe Houston deserves one more shot in more even circumstances.

Think there has been plenty wrong. Signings, selections and substitutions to name but three. Not huge mistakes individually but when added to a stubborn streak it has ultimately produced very little.

A few good memories but when you keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results then time to try something new. I think that should be a new manager but as you say unlikely with a year left, so I would settle for a more bold approach and hope for better recruitment. Do I think that will happen? No! Think much of what been posted on here can be cut and pasted next season as it has been for the previous seasons.

I think there needs to be some recognition that he has been in charge at a time when we have had Sevco, Hearts, United and Hibs in the league as competition. In that time we have been runners up twice and been to a cup final.

Assuming United go up it's a much more open Championship next season and I believe Houston deserves one more shot in more even circumstances.

We're exactly where we started though. As I said, he hasn't technically done anything wrong but you don't get some sort of compensation for being in the same league as bigger clubs. We finished above Hibs last year and Dundee United are a shambles, losing to them in the playoffs was a colossal failure.

Getting to the cup final with Falkirk is always a good achievement but that draw all the way up to and including the final itself was unbelievably lucky. We didn't play anyone of substance and Inverness in a final was the chance of a lifetime.

I would keep him for another year but it's promotion or bust.

Fully acknowledge that these teams have made winning the title outright very difficult (although think United not in same league in terms of resources as the others) but ultimately we've failed at every opportunity. Think that needs to be recognised also.