The Falkirk FC Thread

Nothing against criticism and we didn't start the season well but the amount and ott nature after just a couple of league games is to much. Lose a couple of games and the players are crap, sack the manager and the board everything is a crisis etc. Same the opposite way, I know it's the nature of forums/social media to sensationalise everything, it'd just be nice to get a bit of perspective or give things a bit longer to develop.

The Board have done nothing to deflect criticism. They hold the club back and have done for years.

On 12 September 2016 at 07:23, Back Post Misses said:

By all accounts told Houston to F off after the defeat at Palmerston.

Dunno what to think about that. He's been a better performer overall than Watson has. The whole team was poor against queens so not sure I'd personally hold it against Muirhead for the outburst. 

21 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Just seen we've sold a lad to Huddersfield, maybe that will free up some wonga to bring in another player. Probably not but.

The Taylor boy? I doubt we're getting anything in from that deal to be honest.

29 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Just seen we've sold a lad to Huddersfield, maybe that will free up some wonga to bring in another player. Probably not but.

He was a schoolboy at Forth Valley Academy and although he got a few games for the Under 20s he wasn't one of the ones who was offered a professional contract. So his departure from the Academy didn't free up any money.

3 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

He was a schoolboy at Forth Valley Academy and although he got a few games for the Under 20s he wasn't one of the ones who was offered a professional contract. So his departure from the Academy didn't free up any money.

Perhaps the wrong way of looking at it, but why are we not offering contracts to players who end up with the Championship leaders down south?

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Perhaps the wrong way of looking at it, but why are we not offering contracts to players who end up with the Championship leaders down south?

I must admit that I was surprised when I saw that Huddersfield has signed him. I saw every game he played for the Under 20s last season - maybe about 7 or 8 - plus a couple when he played for Forth Valley. He was alright and he certainly didn't look out of place as a 15-year old in the 20s. However, the three players who we did offer pro contracts to were all technically better than him. At least in my inexpert opinion, though I presume the coaching staff felt the same way. I would even go so far as to say that there was a fourth player who I would have given a contract to ahead of him, who was also released.

I guess trying to turn schoolboys into professional footballers who'll earn a living from the game is always a gamble. Even at a club like ours, where we have a track record of bringing kids through, the majority still won't make it.

I can't think of any youth players we've released in recent years who've gone on to play at a higher level than Falkirk. I think Leigh Griffiths may have been one. Whether Cameron Taylor will follow in his footsteps remains to be seen. Signing for Huddersfield Under-18s gives him a chance.

Good luck to the lad.

28 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I must admit that I was surprised when I saw that Huddersfield has signed him. I saw every game he played for the Under 20s last season - maybe about 7 or 8 - plus a couple when he played for Forth Valley. He was alright and he certainly didn't look out of place as a 15-year old in the 20s. However, the three players who we did offer pro contracts to were all technically better than him. At least in my inexpert opinion, though I presume the coaching staff felt the same way. I would even go so far as to say that there was a fourth player who I would have given a contract to ahead of him, who was also released.

I guess trying to turn schoolboys into professional footballers who'll earn a living from the game is always a gamble. Even at a club like ours, where we have a track record of bringing kids through, the majority still won't make it.

I can't think of any youth players we've released in recent years who've gone on to play at a higher level than Falkirk. I think Leigh Griffiths may have been one. Whether Cameron Taylor will follow in his footsteps remains to be seen. Signing for Huddersfield Under-18s gives him a chance.

Good luck to the lad.

Cheers for the insight. I've incorrectly predicted the future of loads of our former players, we'll have to wait and see. Gamble is exactly the right word though. In hindsight we were ripped off by Swansea in the Kingsley and Fulton deals, considering they're already in first team contention, on the other hand I couldn't believe the Biabi and Blair deals given the career stage they came at. The McGrandles deal, considering it was the biggest of the bunch, hasn't paid off for Norwich yet, so I reckon we're about on par when looking at all the deals.

Having said all that, Arfield or Kingsley alone would probably command more money now than the accumulated fees of all our recent transfer outgoings.

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 14:45, Bainsfordbairn said:

Good luck to the lad.

Good point regarding our track record of choosing the right players at a young age. Griffiths wasn't released on ability as well; I believe he was an absolute banger at a young age allegedly turning up to games late/drunk. (My mate actually played up front with him for Falkirk.)

In your time watching the youth teams; who has been the most promising at a young age?