Starcraft 2

banana

Why aren't they that popular in the UK? All I see and hear from people in the UK is FPS FPS FPS, and sports games.

DotA is another, one of the most popular games in the world (estimated 15 million players, which puts it ahead of even WoW), yet has a tiny following in the UK.

Theories?

I'm not on this forum that often, so haven't noticed before, sorry!

But isn't Command and Conquer a RTS game? Thats pretty popular. My personal theory is that modern RTS games are just too complicated. I loved Red Alert, and Red Alert 2, even with the pyschic stuff introduced by Yuri, but RA 3 scares the absolute bejesus out of me. Its too complicated for me to even consider. Thats what I find with a lot of games nowadays, but RTS are amongst the worst offenders. I like my gameplay to be simple, intuitive, and fun.

I'm not on this forum that often, so haven't noticed before, sorry!

But isn't Command and Conquer a RTS game? Thats pretty popular. My personal theory is that modern RTS games are just too complicated. I loved Red Alert, and Red Alert 2, even with the pyschic stuff introduced by Yuri, but RA 3 scares the absolute bejesus out of me. Its too complicated for me to even consider. Thats what I find with a lot of games nowadays, but RTS are amongst the worst offenders. I like my gameplay to be simple, intuitive, and fun.

Totally understand, they have become more complex. However, while RTSs lost popularity in the UK, Warcraft 3 and Starcraft were going stratospheric elsewhere in the world, and they're still extremely popular. This year Starcraft 2 (the most awaited game of the last two years) was released, and it's extremely popular, yet I see it on noone's top 5 best games list on any general (i.e. non-gaming specific) UK forums...

What's the prob with the UK gamer and RTSs that's not a prob for elsewhere?

EDIT: on top of all this, I haven't seen DotA mentioned anywhere either - probably the most played and popular non-desktoppy game in the world!

What is starcraft 2 like? I quite enjoy rts games, is there much story in it?

Yeah, there's currently a campaign for the Terran race, and campaigns for the other two races will be released as expansions. You can download a demo at https://us.battle.net/account/sc2-demo.html

The real meat of SC2 though (as with the original Starcraft, and with Warcraft 3) is the fantastic online multiplayer setup.

I couldn't give a shit about Genre tags - there is just games I like, and games I don't. I used to play Starcraft and Age of Empires III all the time but there were some right shitey titles in the RTS genre back then that were overhyped to f**k. I couldn't get interested in the Warcraft stuff and that put me off Blizzard games altogether. My eldest son has been playing Starcraft II since Christmas and he appears to like it but I don't think going back to the days of the Zerg is ever going to appeal to me now I'm grown up.

• 4 years later...

I got annoyed with the online game, I'm decent at the game but I never got a really good battle like in the Red Alert 3 online games. There's basically a good way to start and if the other team does it they can pummel you.

I might be shite though.

I enjoyed the missions

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I finally started the Legacy of the Void campaign last night. Its hammy as game writing goes but the presentation is top draw. Its exceptional how much work Blizzard puts into the presentation of their games even if the content is a little suspect.

Archived