Defunct Clubs

shugstero

On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 18:14, Shanner said:

That would be a quality away day in Dunoon. :lol:

I remember my late dad talking about this fixture.

It was basically just a jolly for the fans to enjoy a good bevvy with a game of football breaking out in between.

5 hours ago, KarlMarx said:

It was basically just a jolly for the fans to enjoy a good bevvy with a game of football breaking out in between.

That's the way I'd approach it too. Probably the sort of trip where half the travelling support never make it to the ground for the game and a fair few miss the last boat back too!

2 minutes ago, Shanner said:

That's the way I'd approach it too. Probably the sort of trip where half the travelling support never make it to the ground for the game and a fair few miss the last boat back too!

From what I recall my dad said they went all the way by bus.

With a carry out George Best would have been proud of no doubt.

On 30/11/2016 at 12:08, KarlMarx said:

From speaking to my old man about it, Renfrew would quite often open their season there. His description matches what is said above.

Dunoon Athletic could lay claim to having the biggest ground in Scottish Junior Football.

I did a fair bit of research into them when I wrote my book a few years back. The third chapter is called 'A storm frae doon the watter' which covers a run they had in the Scottish Junior Cup in season 1951 52.

They went to Benburb in the first round when the Bens had a good team and big support. Bens were overwhelming favourites and led 2-0. Dunoon came back and stunned the big crowd by winning 3-2.  They then played out two draws against Larkhall Thistle who were top of the Lanarkshire League and against all odds won 1-0 in the 2nd Replay at Saracen Park, home of Ashfield. In the third round they drew 2-2 at home to Pollok and a big crowd turned up for the replay at Newlandsfield Park. Dunoon took 500 supporters with them for the replay which they lost 4-2.

Their talisman player was the centre half Maurice Young. Maurice was a Govan man and the following season joined St.Anthony's. He had several good years at the Ants before moving over to Benburb. In 1960 he led the Bens to a great season as captain and was greatly respected by the Govan football fraternity..

42 minutes ago, drummie said:

Dunoon Athletic could lay claim to having the biggest ground in Scottish Junior Football.

I did a fair bit of research into them when I wrote my book a few years back. The third chapter is called 'A storm frae doon the watter' which covers a run they had in the Scottish Junior Cup in season 1951 52.

They went to Benburb in the first round when the Bens had a good team and big support. Bens were overwhelming favourites and led 2-0. Dunoon came back and stunned the big crowd by winning 3-2.  They then played out two draws against Larkhall Thistle who were top of the Lanarkshire League and against all odds won 1-0 in the 2nd Replay at Saracen Park, home of Ashfield. In the third round they drew 2-2 at home to Pollok and a big crowd turned up for the replay at Newlandsfield Park. Dunoon took 500 supporters with them for the replay which they lost 4-2.

Their talisman player was the centre half Maurice Young. Maurice was a Govan man and the following season joined St.Anthony's. He had several good years at the Ants before moving over to Benburb. In 1960 he led the Bens to a great season as captain and was greatly respected by the Govan football fraternity..

Interesting post. what's your book called?

Hi Shanner,

The book is called 'A Time in Govan' . 

It is a large book covering the post war period in Govan and the decline in shipbuilding. It also has half the book dedicated to football and covers the ups and downs of the Govan teams and players during this period. Lots and lots about the Bens and the Ants as well as some other outfit not too far away !.  Also loys about the other minor teams around Govan.

The book can be viewed with many on line distributers by simply typing in the book name on the search engine. It is available on e-books and probably can be downloaded free via a few distributers with conditions. It has been printed in Dutch and Spanish and I was surprised to learn it is available in India. Difficult to know the connection to Govan !!. It gets high ratings for Humour.

All proceeds from the book go to charity which is the Preshal Trust. This is a charity in South Glasgow which caters for people with drug and drink problems.

37 minutes ago, drummie said:

Hi Shanner,

The book is called 'A Time in Govan' . 

It is a large book covering the post war period in Govan and the decline in shipbuilding. It also has half the book dedicated to football and covers the ups and downs of the Govan teams and players during this period. Lots and lots about the Bens and the Ants as well as some other outfit not too far away !.  Also loys about the other minor teams around Govan.

The book can be viewed with many on line distributers by simply typing in the book name on the search engine. It is available on e-books and probably can be downloaded free via a few distributers with conditions. It has been printed in Dutch and Spanish and I was surprised to learn it is available in India. Difficult to know the connection to Govan !!. It gets high ratings for Humour.

All proceeds from the book go to charity which is the Preshal Trust. This is a charity in South Glasgow which caters for people with drug and drink problems.

I'll have a look for it. I'm interested in the local history stuff as well as the football side of things.

Well done on foregoing profit on the book for the charity. Very decent of you. 

St. Mirren Juniors won the Scottish Junior cup in 1916-17

"

Scottish Junior Cup Winners 1917
Trophies/m.jpg
Winners 1916-17

St Mirren Juniors entered the Scottish Junior Cup for season 1916-17 and entertained Greenock Ladyburn at Love Street in the first round.
They began in fine form posting a 3-0 victory.
The second round, against Pollok, turned into a bit of a marathon tie, with no fewer than four matches to decide the outcome.
One of the matches ended in a draw and two of the others were protested and the authorities ordered them to be replayed.

The third round gave Saints a bye and they progressed through the fourth round with ease, hammering Dundee Violet 6-0 at Love Street.

The quarter final and semi final both resulted in 2-0 wins over Maryhill and Bellshill Athletic respectively, taking Saints through to the final at the first time of asking.

The final paired them with local rivals, Renfrew and it took two matches to seperate the teams.

St Mirren remain the only senior club to have their name on the Junior Cup.

1st Round
30/09/1916
Love Street

St Mirren 3 Greenock Ladyburn 0
Scorers unknown
2nd Round
28/10/1916
Haggs Park

Pollok 3 St Mirren 2
Scorers unknown
Saints protest that Pollok player Haddow ineligible due to having competed in Dunbartonshire Senior Cup.
The protest was upheld and a replay ordered.

2nd Round
18/11/1916
Haggs Park

Pollok 1 St Mirren 1

Scorers unknown

Replay
02/12/1916
Love Street

St Mirren 0 Pollok 1
Scorer unknown
Saints protest that Pollok player Devine had played in the Airdrionians tournament, a senior event.
The protest was upheld and a replay ordered.

Replay
06/01/1917
Love Street

St Mirren 1 Pollok 0
Scorer:- Howie
Pollok protested that Saints players Howie, Hayman and Rogers were all ineligible.
The protest was thrown out and the result stood.
St Mirren received a bye in round three.

4th Round
17/02/1917
Love Street

St Mirren 6 Dundee Violet 0
Scorers:- Leitch2, Durward, Rogers, Lauder, Howie

5th Round
17/03/1917
Love Street

St Mirren 2 Maryhill 0
Scorers:- Lauder, Leitch

Semi Final
28/04/1917
Firhill

St Mirren 2 Bellshill Athletic 0
Scorers:- Durward2
Bellshill protested that Saints player Matthew Howie had represented Neilston Roselea in a juvenile match (Which he had!!) 
However, without investigating the circumstances the Junior FA threw out the appeal and allowed the result to stand!

Final
02/06/1917
Firhill

St Mirren 0 Renfrew 0

Replay
09/06/1917
Firhill

St Mirren 1 Renfrew 0
Scorer:- Durward

Saints team
Hart
McLeod McQuade
Hayman McDaid Peters
Rogers Lauder Leitch Howie Durward
Saints goal in the final was scored by William Durward, who was to move up to the senior team for the following season.
The goal came with 20 minutes left in the match after good work from Lauder and Howie, the latter passing to Durward who unleashed a ferocious shot into the net.
This was the first goal that Renfrew had conceded in the entire Scottish Cup campaign that season.
The Cup Winners Line Up For the Final
teams/JuniorCupwinners1917.JPG

They were in existence for 4 seasons, 1916-1920

Thank you Shanner.

I do not know if they have been mentioned. Three Lanarkshire teams.

Douglas Water Thistle, Douglasdale and Caterpillar. 

The first two had reasonable teams and one of them produced big Doug Bailey who went on to play for Airdrie and Rangers.

The third team Caterpillar from recollection were a factory team from Motherwell. Their nickname was 'the Cats' but they had little support unfortunately.

They did have one moment of glory. One week due to injuries they could only raise 8 players. However game to the last they insisted on playing.  Their opponents felt sorry for them and in the pre-substitute days of the 1950's loaned them three of their reserves. The Cats subsequently won 2-1 which a bit of news at the time. Sadly they went out of business in the 1950's.

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 15:16, drummie said:

Thank you Shanner.

I do not know if they have been mentioned. Three Lanarkshire teams.

Douglas Water Thistle, Douglasdale and Caterpillar. 

The first two had reasonable teams and one of them produced big Doug Bailey who went on to play for Airdrie and Rangers.

The third team Caterpillar from recollection were a factory team from Motherwell. Their nickname was 'the Cats' but they had little support unfortunately.

They did have one moment of glory. One week due to injuries they could only raise 8 players. However game to the last they insisted on playing.  Their opponents felt sorry for them and in the pre-substitute days of the 1950's loaned them three of their reserves. The Cats subsequently won 2-1 which a bit of news at the time. Sadly they went out of business in the 1950's.

Douglas Water Thistle were a prominent club in the Lanarkshire Junior League in the 1950s. They had a relationship with Motherwell and four stalwarts of early 1960s Motherwell teams, Sammy Reid, Pat Delaney, Willie McCallum and the great Ian St John all played for them.

A small point, but Caterpillar as I recollect played in Uddingston at what is now Thorniewoods park?

Certainly the factory was between Uddingston and Viewpark. It was at the time reputedly the largest manufacturing centre under one roof in Europe. Viewparks most (in)famous resident was one Peter Manuel.

On 07/12/2016 at 19:35, garrellburn said:

A small point, but Caterpillar as I recollect played in Uddingston at what is now Thorniewoods park?

Certainly the factory was between Uddingston and Viewpark. It was at the time reputedly the largest manufacturing centre under one roof in Europe. Viewparks most (in)famous resident was one Peter Manuel.

Yeah,it was in Tannochside,and its closure caused a lot of bad feeling in the surrounding areas as the workers had been promised that it would remain in production. Some of the folk who worked there are planning some events in January to mark the 30th anniversary of the sit-in that lasted for 3 1/2 months.

And i'm gonny trump PM with Viewpark's favourite son,wee Jinky.  :)

On 01/12/2010 at 13:09, RobRoyGuy said:

I remember watching the Roy play coltness , ballieston , tulliallan , and I remember as a youth playing at glenboig juniors old ground , the local youth team used it , I think its still there , not sure if its still being used though

Someone mentioned bonnybridge juniors , when did they Cease to exist? , I remember playing there youth teams and they were all excellent sides at the time ,

This is now the home of Chryston Amateurs,and the excellent playing surface is a credit to all the guys involved with the club.

• 7 months later...

I'm new on this forum. Saw previous discussions on defunct clubs.

I played for Caberfeidh FC in 1968-71 - started as the village welfare team and, being so successful, joined the juniors in 1971, wearing red and black stripes. Gradually found their feet and won their league in 1980's but, as usual in the junior leagues, the best players moved on to bigger things and the club folded soon after. Played in New Elgin [the Free State] at Doocot Park and was a genuine local team at the start with all players from the village. The park is still there looking great and the ex-players still have re-unions to share great memories. I have many of the original statistics etc.

I'm new on this forum. Saw previous discussions on defunct clubs.
I played for Caberfeidh FC in 1968-71 - started as the village welfare team and, being so successful, joined the juniors in 1971, wearing red and black stripes. Gradually found their feet and won their league in 1980's but, as usual in the junior leagues, the best players moved on to bigger things and the club folded soon after. Played in New Elgin [the Free State] at Doocot Park and was a genuine local team at the start with all players from the village. The park is still there looking great and the ex-players still have re-unions to share great memories. I have many of the original statistics etc.

Were the team named after the pub George, or vice versa? Is it still open?

Yes. The original team played for 1 season in the Elgin & District Sunday League as New Elgin Amateurs [other teams comprised pub teams like Rising Sun, Kingsmills Bar,Ex Service Men's Club plus teams like Central Garage and The Saints comprising Youth Fellowship boys - a fair mixture]. The team comprised a cross section of guys who played the endless 15 a side games down at Doocot Park in the village - ages from 15 [me] through to 25 - and was a true village team. We were good but didn't win the first year's league and in the close season we got word that the manager of the newly built pub in Main Street [to rival the beloved Kirkie Bar] was keen to sponsor us. This was the Caberfeidh Bar which was struggling to get business as it was an English brewer's pub [Whitbread], And so it was that in year 2 we became Caberfeidh FC with new red/black striped strips and an encouragement to drink there. As I was underage, it made no difference to me but the older lads felt obliged to have a pint there [though probably left after 1 to drink McEwans or Tennents in the Kirkie]. As far as I know the Caberfeidh Bar is still open competing with the Kirkie in the Main Street.

We won back to back trebles [league + 2 cups] with a cracking team and felt ready to join the juniors in 1971 - unfortunately I had to leave town to study and didn't really play after that. It was no longer a 100% village team but there was still a great feeling of community in those days. Many local guys played on the way up to the Highland League and beyond or vice versa and it was a real shame when, after winning the junior league, many of the team moved up and couldn't be replaced. Those days are still remembered and plans are afoot for another reunion to add to the last one of 2014