The Walking Dead

King Kebab

Surely this is the beauty of fiction?  Convenient coincidences can be specifically written to ramp up the pressure/ enjoyment?
When Jerry sliced that guy down the middle, my immediate thought wasn't "Oh, come on, that's unrealistic having Jerry show up at this precise point".

It doesn't ramp up any excitement when it's happening about eight times an episode to every major character. You used to worry about everyone, apart from Rick, now you know damn well whenever someone's in danger, that some ridiculous circumstance will save them.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It doesn't ramp up any excitement when it's happening about eight times an episode to every major character. You used to worry about everyone, apart from Rick, now you know damn well whenever someone's in danger, that some ridiculous circumstance will save them.

After Glenn and Abraham, I would disagree.

I'm sure I wasn't alone in doubting whether or not Ezekiel would see the end of the episode.

3 hours ago, Fide said:

Christ.  Absolutely no sign of the moaning letting up then eh?

If you all hate it so much, just bin it. 

I thoroughly enjoyed it again.   Ezekiel is tremendous, Jerry is fucking legendary and that tiger snuffing it was the most emotional scene since Sofia walked out that barn.

Tremendous. Up yours haterz.

This. Although shame to hear its getting cancelled after this series because some random on P&B doesnt like it anymore :rolleyes:

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Of all the criticisms of the current series this is the most valid. The risk of a main character dying has definitely gone down, almost to the point where the tension has gone. I wouldnt put it past them, though, to change that at some point.

After Glenn and Abraham, I would disagree.
I'm sure I wasn't alone in doubting whether or not Ezekiel would see the end of the episode.

Maybe it's just me then. Have absolutely no fear any character, of note, is dying when they seem to be on the brink of it.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Even with Carol being trapped inside the compound on her own with 4/5 Saviours after her, you knew she was going to kill all of them.

The show is now pretty shite but ive invested over 7 seasons in it so now only watch it out of habit. Most of these complaints are quite valid as virtually all the lead characters are untouchable. While im here, id like to point out that King Ezekiel is the worst character in the shows history

1 hour ago, Twinkle said:

The show is now pretty shite but ive invested over 7 seasons in it so now only watch it out of habit. Most of these complaints are quite valid as virtually all the lead characters are untouchable. While im here, id like to point out that King Ezekiel is the worst character in the shows history

Image result for you there fuck off

4 hours ago, Twinkle said:

No that would be Negan, far too hammy and totally unconvincing.

Christ.  Absolutely no sign of the moaning letting up then eh?
If you all hate it so much, just bin it. 
I thoroughly enjoyed it again.   Ezekiel is tremendous, Jerry is fucking legendary and that tiger snuffing it was the most emotional scene since Sofia walked out that barn.
Tremendous. Up yours haterz.

Folk have every right to moan though. When it started, this show was tense and exciting and we couldn't predict what was going to happen and who was going to snuff it. When they went foraging your heart was going. We were invested in those early characters and for the majority of them we wanted them to be saved.

Daryl is a great example. He was a scummy redneck but they developed his character so well that we all loved him and empathised with his background. Now I really couldn't care if they wiped him out. I imagine there would be a touch of sadness but compare his death now to say Season 3, I reckon it would have brought me to tears.

I don't need a lot of action like some people. The character development was the draw. The problem now is that any new characters we get are predominantly shallow and boring. F'ck me they even introduced a potentially exciting character in Jesus and he's now another boring nobody.

Ezekiel talks a lot but his monologues make me cringe. I had to look up who Jerry was and until he split that guy in two he had done nothing. I really don't think he can be classed as legendary and unlike say Shane, I doubt folk would remember him 7 seasons later if he died now.

The tiger's death was a great example of how the writing has clearly changed. That scene with Sofia is one of the most powerful pieces of television I've ever watched. For weeks on end the characters were looking for her and we knew it was just a risk even looking for her. She was a little girl and we all wanted her to be safe. They wrote it excellently and from week to week we hoped she would turn up. Then that scene. I doubt many people saw that coming. Horrendously good television.

Cut to the latest episode: We're briefly told how Ezekiel nursed her back to health. In the same episode she's eaten alive. Absolutely no depth whatsoever and the show has got so predictable 99% of the audience would have known it was coming. I refuse to believe folk thought otherwise.

The inconsistency is annoying as well. The axe cut through a man but couldn't do any damage to a padlock. It then snaps almost immediately. Later on we see the van going at a relatively slow speed completely shatter the crash barrier. That's a whole different topic though.

Folk are fed up with the show because it had so much potential but has gone so far downhill whether you want to believe it or not. If it was Season 2 amd folk were complaining I could see your point about not watching, but after 8 years folk will want to see what the final outcome is and will just suffer (not in silence) along the way.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Folk have every right to moan though. When it started, this show was tense and exciting and we couldn't predict what was going to happen and who was going to snuff it. When they went foraging your heart was going. We were invested in those early characters and for the majority of them we wanted them to be saved.

Daryl is a great example. He was a scummy redneck but they developed his character so well that we all loved him and empathised with his background. Now I really couldn't care if they wiped him out. I imagine there would be a touch of sadness but compare his death now to say Season 3, I reckon it would have brought me to tears.

I don't need a lot of action like some people. The character development was the draw. The problem now is that any new characters we get are predominantly shallow and boring. F'ck me they even introduced a potentially exciting character in Jesus and he's now another boring nobody.

Ezekiel talks a lot but his monologues make me cringe. I had to look up who Jerry was and until he split that guy in two he had done nothing. I really don't think he can be classed as legendary and unlike say Shane, I doubt folk would remember him 7 seasons later if he died now.

The tiger's death was a great example of how the writing has clearly changed. That scene with Sofia is one of the most powerful pieces of television I've ever watched. For weeks on end the characters were looking for her and we knew it was just a risk even looking for her. She was a little girl and we all wanted her to be safe. They wrote it excellently and from week to week we hoped she would turn up. Then that scene. I doubt many people saw that coming. Horrendously good television.

Cut to the latest episode: We're briefly told how Ezekiel nursed her back to health. In the same episode she's eaten alive. Absolutely no depth whatsoever and the show has got so predictable 99% of the audience would have known it was coming. I refuse to believe folk thought otherwise.

The inconsistency is annoying as well. The axe cut through a man but couldn't do any damage to a padlock. It then snaps almost immediately. Later on we see the van going at a relatively slow speed completely shatter the crash barrier. That's a whole different topic though.

Folk are fed up with the show because it had so much potential but has gone so far downhill whether you want to believe it or not. If it was Season 2 amd folk were complaining I could see your point about not watching, but after 8 years folk will want to see what the final outcome is and will just suffer (not in silence) along the way.

If you feel you have every right to moan, batter in, but with some on here the moaning is every episode, and it's relentless and pretty fucking boring for those of us still invested in and enjoying the programme.

With every work of fiction, you need to suspend disbelief.  A bit of logic has to be sacrificed.  It's a programme about zombies, so it was never going to be a pinpoint representation of real life.

I still, possibly with the exception of Carol, Daryl and Rick, feel that any major character is still at risk of being bumped off - the deaths of major(ish) characters like Hershel, Glenn, Abraham, Beth and Sasha would support that.

Folk are obviously entitled to moan, but it now seems we're at that cycle in the programme's life where the moaning has become habitual and constant - for me and many others it's still the best thing on TV and I hope it runs for another 54 years.

If you feel you have every right to moan, batter in, but with some on here the moaning is every episode, and it's relentless and pretty fucking boring for those of us still invested in and enjoying the programme.
With every work of fiction, you need to suspend disbelief.  A bit of logic has to be sacrificed.  It's a programme about zombies, so it was never going to be a pinpoint representation of real life.
I still, possibly with the exception of Carol, Daryl and Rick, feel that any major character is still at risk of being bumped off - the deaths of major(ish) characters like Hershel, Glenn, Abraham, Beth and Sasha would support that.
Folk are obviously entitled to moan, but it now seems we're at that cycle in the programme's life where the moaning has become habitual and constant - for me and many others it's still the best thing on TV and I hope it runs for another 54 years.

Michonne won't get killed off yet either. I say yet because I fully expect the writers to kill off main ones at the end. How edgy. The characters you listed were big characters at a time but before they were killed off they were given lesser roles so their death wasn't a shock. We were eased in to Glenn's death just for extra safety ffs. Abraham was a great character at one point but even just before his death he had taken a 'back seat'.

They killed off a character last night and tried to make it an emotional scene with Aaron. Give it a week and 9 out of 10 TWD fans wont be able to name the guy who died (I can't now!). Too many characters and they're too shallow. By doing so we get less time for potentially interesting characters to be developed.

No one can dispute what your favourite show on the box is but I can dispute that TWD isn't the best show on the TV. It isn't and it's not even close. It's 229th place rank on IMDb speaks volumes.

On the discussion of ratings, the episode with that powerful scene with Carol's daughter scored 9.2. Fast forward to the latest episode with what you say was jist as powerful a scene with the tiger; 7.3. Folk who have watched TWD from the start will never forget that barn scene. The tiger scene will soon be forgotten (though the absolutely awful CGI won't be!).

The Season ratings are in order below:-

7 (so far)

It's early days but forgive me for being sceptical about this season bringing it back to it's average rating of 8. I think it's valid to question if this show has jumped the shark and I think it's acceptable for folk to criticise a show that has clearly had a massive decline.

I just wish that a few seasons ago, they’d made Karl, Carol and Daryl have a quarrel with Merle.

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Michonne won't get killed off yet either. I say yet because I fully expect the writers to kill off main ones at the end. How edgy. The characters you listed were big characters at a time but before they were killed off they were given lesser roles so their death wasn't a shock. We were eased in to Glenn's death just for extra safety ffs. Abraham was a great character at one point but even just before his death he had taken a 'back seat'.

They killed off a character last night and tried to make it an emotional scene with Aaron. Give it a week and 9 out of 10 TWD fans wont be able to name the guy who died (I can't now!). Too many characters and they're too shallow. By doing so we get less time for potentially interesting characters to be developed.

No one can dispute what your favourite show on the box is but I can dispute that TWD isn't the best show on the TV. It isn't and it's not even close. It's 229th place rank on IMDb speaks volumes.

On the discussion of ratings, the episode with that powerful scene with Carol's daughter scored 9.2. Fast forward to the latest episode with what you say was jist as powerful a scene with the tiger; 7.3. Folk who have watched TWD from the start will never forget that barn scene. The tiger scene will soon be forgotten (though the absolutely awful CGI won't be!).

The Season ratings are in order below:-

7 (so far)

It's early days but forgive me for being sceptical about this season bringing it back to it's average rating of 8. I think it's valid to question if this show has jumped the shark and I think it's acceptable for folk to criticise a show that has clearly had a massive decline.

I absolutely would argue the point that Glenn or Abraham had lesser roles.  They were still major characters.   The effects of Glenn's death almost melted Twitter.

If a major character was killed off every week, or even every few weeks for that matter, you'd have no one left.

To be honest, I couldn't give a scuttering  f**k where the show is rated on IMDB.  It's still clearly one of television's biggest draws, and anecdotally, from friends, family and work colleagues, still a huge favourite.

And I don't recall saying that the scene with the tiger was "just as powerful" as the scene with Sophia.

But by all means, continue your scientific autopsy of the show.

...and that tiger snuffing it was the most emotional scene since Sofia walked out that barn.

I absolutely would argue the point that Glenn or Abraham had lesser roles.  They were still major characters.   The effects of Glenn's death almost melted Twitter.
If a major character was killed off every week, or even every few weeks for that matter, you'd have no one left.
To be honest, I couldn't give a scuttering  f**k where the show is rated on IMDB.  It's still clearly one of television's biggest draws, and anecdotally, from friends, family and work colleagues, still a huge favourite.
And I don't recall saying that the scene with the tiger was "just as powerful" as the scene with Sophia.
But by all means, continue your scientific autopsy of the show.

Powerful/emotional. Either way the tiger dying wasn't in the same ball park as Sophia's death.

It's not a scientific autopsy I'm just telling you why someone not wearing rose tinted specs are beginning to get fed up. The show's biggest downfall is due to something you've mentioned: "television's biggest draws". It's a cash cow and they're milking it dry and by doing so are letting the quality slip. Unlike say Breaking Bad which ended after 5 Season's before it went stale. TWD should have ended similarly and it would have went down as one of the greatest pieces of television produced. "Always leave your audience wanting more" is what is said about TV shows. When TWD finishes there's no danger of that, folk will be glad.

As I say, I'm in no position to say it's wrong for this to be your favourite show. But folk are entitled to suggest it isn't close to being the best show on tv. It isn't.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Powerful/emotional. Either way the tiger dying wasn't in the same ball park as Sophia's death.

It's not a scientific autopsy I'm just telling you why someone not wearing rose tinted specs are beginning to get fed up. The show's biggest downfall is due to something you've mentioned: "television's biggest draws". It's a cash cow and they're milking it dry and by doing so are letting the quality slip. Unlike say Breaking Bad which ended after 5 Season's before it went stale. TWD should have ended similarly and it would have went down as one of the greatest pieces of television produced. "Always leave your audience wanting more" is what is said about TV shows. When TWD finishes there's no danger of that, folk will be glad.

As I say, I'm in no position to say it's wrong for this to be your favourite show. But folk are entitled to suggest it isn't close to being the best show on tv. It isn't.

Nor did I say it was in the same ball park.  Hence using the word "since".

I could say you're wearing shite-tinted specs in realtion to the programme.  It's solely your opinion that it's a cash cow which is being milked dry.  I would absolutely disagree and it's my opinion that the quality isn't slipping.  Folk won't be glad when TWD is finished.  You will be, but you're not folk.

Folk are also entitled to suggest that you're a moan.

:)

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I dont have an issue with people criticizing the show. There are other shows I used to like but now find really poor <cough>Big Bang Theory</cough>. I have no problem pointing out its many flaws

I dont, though, appear on the thread two minutes after the latest show has finished E.V.E.R.Y. W.E.E.K. to tell everyone how much I hate it. That is getting more than a little tiresome.

It's solely your opinion that it's a cash cow which is being milked dry.  I would absolutely disagree and it's my opinion that the quality isn't slipping

Well you would be completely wrong then. Both the episode ratings and viewer figures have plummeted recently which is no coincidence. That is fact, theres no way around it