The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Mums are great for that.
Mine went into Goldrush in Perth (of blessed memory) and got me a limited edition Xentrix 12 " single on the day of release when I was in Germany on a school exchange. Still got it, too.

Fucking love Xentrix.

Tickets bought for Slayer. To my shame I've never seen either Slayer or Anthrax live, thought I better get them ticked off the list.

Lamb of God, however, I've seen plenty of times and I'd pay the money to see them alone. Whoever classed them as filler needs to have a word with themselves.

On 5/28/2018 at 21:12, Dunning1874 said:

He replied to a tweet asking about it saying there'd be no show for last week on Friday, but that's the only word from either of them. Agreed that I wouldn't be putting my money into it either with this level of uncertainty.

Hope they're both alright though, they've been open about both taking time off for mental health reasons in the last few months and their health has to be the most important thing.

I hope the podcast continues in some guise either way. I'd gotten really lazy in terms of listening to new music a couple of years ago and was just going over the same small group of bands and albums time after time with the only new bands I checked out being those I found by accident as support bands or at festivals. I'd genuinely put finding the buzz for listening to new artists again and checking out albums again down to TNM first and foremost, with stuff from as wide a range of heavy music from hardcore bands like Stray From The Path, softer rock bands like Greta Van Fleet, to black metal like Deathspell Omega. It's a cracking podcast that I've discovered a lot of bands through.

The podcast did turn up at the end of last week in the form of a 2 in 1 show.  Apparently it was down to technical difficulties.  Could easily have put out something on social media days before that.

On the magazine front there hasn't been a proper one since the 13th of May and Stephen HIll hasn't been on since the end of April.  Initially Beez made it sound like he needed a week off but on the last few episodes they haven't even mentioned him (unless I missed it).  He is still active on Twitter and going to gigs and also Download so I'm starting to wonder if he quit or something along those lines happened.  

Tickets bought for Slayer. To my shame I've never seen either Slayer or Anthrax live, thought I better get them ticked off the list.
Lamb of God, however, I've seen plenty of times and I'd pay the money to see them alone. Whoever classed them as filler needs to have a word with themselves.

Still need to get my Slayer ticket but money is tight, keep checking Ticketmaster and seems there’s plenty seats left.

18 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

The podcast did turn up at the end of last week in the form of a 2 in 1 show.  Apparently it was down to technical difficulties.  Could easily have put out something on social media days before that.

On the magazine front there hasn't been a proper one since the 13th of May and Stephen HIll hasn't been on since the end of April.  Initially Beez made it sound like he needed a week off but on the last few episodes they haven't even mentioned him (unless I missed it).  He is still active on Twitter and going to gigs and also Download so I'm starting to wonder if he quit or something along those lines happened.  

Unfortunately I was right.

Listening to this weeks show but haven't reached the explanation part yet.

Edit: The reason Beez has given is that Stephen said he doesn't have the enthusiasm to do the show that he once had and he has a lot going on but the door is always open if he ever wanted to return.

Edited by NorthernLights

There's absolutely zero chance of this gig selling out.

Aye that’s my thinking. Has the top tier been cordoned off or something? Found it weird the middle tier and portions of the lower tier still had tickets left over the top tier.

Aye that’s my thinking. Has the top tier been cordoned off or something? Found it weird the middle tier and portions of the lower tier still had tickets left over the top tier.

Nah, makes sense that they wait and see if they can fill the lower and middle tiers before they consider opening the top one.

Not sure if they've been mentioned in this thread previously, but I recommend checking out Zeal & Ardor. Primarily black metal but there's a lot of different styles going on, particularly with the vocals. It's experimental without ever being shoegazing. 

They were absolutely exceptional at Download yesterday. Band of the weekend by a mile for me.

On 6/11/2018 at 22:46, Dunning1874 said:

Not sure if they've been mentioned in this thread previously, but I recommend checking out Zeal & Ardor. Primarily black metal but there's a lot of different styles going on, particularly with the vocals. It's experimental without ever being shoegazing. 

They were absolutely exceptional at Download yesterday. Band of the weekend by a mile for me.

They're playing King Tuts on the 7th of December, tickets on sale today at 9am.

https://www.ticketweb.uk/event/zeal-ardor-king-tuts-wah-wah-hut-tickets/8472775

I'll probably get a ticket as I liked Devil Is Fine, not had a chance to listen to the new one, Stranger Fruits yet.  Also despite going to gigs for over 17 years I've never been to King Tuts.

On the TNM front I finally found a Tweet where Beez said the magazine is basically dead now.

A shame as I did want it to succeed as it could have been a brilliant concept.  However in a few months we've gone from the Premium model of hours of daily podcasts which never came close to being realised, to a weekly magazine which lasted all of 4 to 5 weeks,  Seems the weekly show is still plodding along but without the specials.  This really has been a classic tale of being overly ambitious and not really have a well thought out plan.

44 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

They're playing King Tuts on the 7th of December, tickets on sale today at 9am.

https://www.ticketweb.uk/event/zeal-ardor-king-tuts-wah-wah-hut-tickets/8472775

I'll probably get a ticket as I liked Devil Is Fine, not had a chance to listen to the new one, Stranger Fruits yet.  Also despite going to gigs for over 17 years I've never been to King Tuts.

Excellent news, thanks for the heads up. Give Stranger Fruit a go, having listened three times I still need more time with it but on first impressions I like it more than Devil is Fine. Less catchy vocally in places, but there's a lot of power musically and it sounds massive live.

Tuts can be a pain when it's sold out and you end up standing off to the side with a crap view, but the sound is great and hopefully this'll be busy without being that full.

Sucks to hear that the ABC get ruined in that fire last night :/

Seen many great Metal gigs in there and only really Barrowland beats it when it comes to atmosphere , sound quality and such.

Heres hoping it can be restored cause i really fucking hate The Academy :/