The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Just now, jimmy boo said:

The names of metal bands these days are a total embarrassment. All trying to out do each other on the cryingy so called evil stakes. They just sound ridiculous emoji3.png

What band names on here have recently boiled your piss Jimmy?

5 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
12 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:
What band names on here have recently boiled your piss Jimmy?

I'm sure you can guess what cringey ones I'm referring to. It must be difficult for new metal bands to seem more evil than the previous caricatures.

I genuinely don’t know that’s why I’m asking. 

Things move in cycles. Back in the glory days of Death Metal, half the bands had names ending in "-ation".

Now we have djent berks whose names are exclusively of the form: "Plurals".

Not to mention screamo twats with fringes' bands, all entitled "Verbing the Noun"

Things move in cycles. Back in the glory days of Death Metal, half the bands had names ending in "-ation".
Now we have djent berks whose names are exclusively of the form: "Plurals".
Not to mention screamo twats with fringes' bands, all entitled "Verbing the Noun"

I’ve no idea who anyone is on about on this thread anymore.

58 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I genuinely don’t know that’s why I’m asking. 

Try Cannibal Corpse mentioned here a few hours ago. They've got to be a parody outfit surely? Like Steel Panther? Cringetastic. 

Try Cannibal Corpse mentioned here a few hours ago. They've got to be a parody outfit surely? Like Steel Panther? Cringetastic. 

I wondered if that was the band name you meant but you said ‘new’ so I wasn’t sure.
CC have been on the go since the 80s mate.

Oh have they? Had no idea thankfully but cheers for that .

No bother [emoji4]

To be fair, there are bands mentioned on this thread fairly often that I’ve never heard of. Combination of me being an auld c**t or the bands being of genres I don’t like or listen to.

I once urinated next to George Fisher in a dodgy Glasgow venue's toilets. He really does have a remarkable neck.
I think some Polish duffers called Krabathor and Scottish hopefuls Regorge supported that night, so it must have been about 98 or so.

Aye his neck is ridiculous.

When we saw them supporting Children of Bodom we left early and bumped into them outside the venue. Ended up taking them to a random bar doing shots of Jager with their guitarist Pat. No one in the bar knew who they were so we got a good hour or so just having a blether. A year later at Bloodstock we went to the CC ‘meet n greet’ and they remembered us. Was quite surreal. I won’t deny I’m a total CC fanboy, they’re the band that got me into Death Metal so I’ve got a lot of time for them.

No bother [emoji4]

To be fair, there are bands mentioned on this thread fairly often that I’ve never heard of. Combination of me being an auld c**t or the bands being of genres I don’t like or listen to.

We have something in common bud[emoji106]

Auld c***s [emoji1]

That's Not Metal is a podcast I've been listening to just a few months after it started.  It was not long until I signed up for the £17 a year Premium specials too.  For over 2.5 years it is a podcast I've really enjoyed. 

Tonight they announced the launch of "version 2.0", which is based around Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/TNMPremium

For a few months they've been mentioning an "Extreme" version of the show that would be more focused on the heavier/obscure side of things.  This genuinely excited me to begin with.  However weeks and then months went by without any details.  

Now they've revealed that in order to access the "Extreme" version you have to sign up their Platinum level on Patreon that costs $27.99 a month.  Once you factor in VAT & exchange rates that is over £290 for a year.  There are cheaper levels but that just gets access that have no interest in like Snapchat  or Facebook exclusive access, no extra content it would seem.

Maybe it'll be the success they're looking for but for me they've got the pricing very wrong.  More levels to suit your needs was what was needed.  I'd pay a few quid a month for the Extreme edition and I'd happily go without the Facebook access.

I was very interested and excited in the build up to "2.0" but as soon as I saw details of the pricing levels and structure I've never lost interest so quickly.   Maybe in a few weeks or months they'll prove me wrong and I'll be signing up but right now I'm just a bit disappointed.

Edited by NorthernLights

Surely you'd be better with a £40 Zero Tolerance subscription (now Terrorizer appears to have bought the farm) and read No Clean Singing or Invisible Oranges or whatever.

If you want to hear gumbies talking about metal then Banger TV.

Even considering paying money like that is frankly insane.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

16 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Surely you'd be better with a £40 Zero Tolerance subscription (now Terrorizer appears to have bought the farm) and read No Clean Singing or Invisible Oranges or whatever.

If you want to hear gumbies talking about metal then Banger TV.

Even considering paying money like that is frankly insane.

I've got a subscription to Amazon Music Unlimited so most Fridays I'll just look through the new releases section for albums for new stuff to listen to these days.   It oftens mean I end up listening to random crap like this...

It gives me a bit of a laugh so its all good.

I've noticed that Beez, who was the main presenter on the podcast has decided to become the band manager of a band they recently gave a glowing review to. He often seems to become overly friendly with bands/artists and that has never felt too comfortable with me.

Edited by NorthernLights

On TNM, I'll still be listening to the free weekly podcast but there's no chance I'm subscribing at that price, even though that means no Extreme which I was excited about.

I expect they'll be looking at the pricing structure again soon enough, considering the making it up as they go along feel to it so far. Stephen Hill posts on the Download forum, you need to be a member to see posts but reading between the lines of what he's said about it it seems they haven't entirely thought things through.

15 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

On TNM, I'll still be listening to the free weekly podcast but there's no chance I'm subscribing at that price, even though that means no Extreme which I was excited about.

I expect they'll be looking at the pricing structure again soon enough, considering the making it up as they go along feel to it so far. Stephen Hill posts on the Download forum, you need to be a member to see posts but reading between the lines of what he's said about it it seems they haven't entirely thought things through.

On Friday I listened to the 2nd podcast they released the night before explaining things.  I was left less impressed after that then I did after reading the initial social media posts/Patreon page.  It feels like they're trying to do too much and without any real focus.  I can't fault Beez for his enthusiasm and ambition but it is a bit of a shambles and here are a few thoughts I have on the matter.

There are clearly plans for lots of shows and content.  These include an audio blog from Beez where he tells you what he has been up to, an MMA podcast featuring Beez and his wife, a Fantasy Football podcast like the old BBC TV show.  They said they'd be happy for other people to do similar podcasts on other sports on their network.  They talked a fair bit about getting people and bands to do their own shows in general but that was fairly vague apart from the fact you'd get paid for it.  The whole thing about bands doing podcasts made me think it would just be endless Architects and Employed to Serve specials.  Another show would be reviewing stand-up comedy on Netflix.

The above sounded like the ideas of a brainstorming session that wasn't then evaluated.  There was very little in the above that I would be interested to in listening let alone paying for.  Maybe some engagement with listeners about what sort of content they'd like, how much they'd be willing to pay etc would have been helpful.  Also having a few shows ready for the launch would have been a good idea too.  There was an example of "Song of the Day", I wasn't impressed with it and it was clearly recorded in a rush.

However there were some good ideas for shows but the best ones are the ones they currently do in the weekly show - album club or as part of the Premium shows - artist profiles etc. 

It sounded like they had plans to grow things organically.  Launching the Extreme version of the podcast would have been a good start.  Maybe charge a little bit extra for that and let it bed in.  However it seems like Beez has decided to become the manager of Bokassa and everything has to been suddenly and at the same time.  He mentioned several times on the podcast about peoples jobs being on the line, how they'd quit their current jobs and support the things you love.  No one forced anyone to jump into this venture and I supported the podcast in its original format as it was something I enjoyed.  However I just can't see myself get behind this.

I'll still listen to the basic weekly show, unless it dramatically changes.

19 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I wasn't a member of the Download forum but signed up to check out the thread.  It was an interesting read.  That Instagram post by Beez :huh:  The whole "I'm working class" spiel is very tiresome.  If you're going to sell people a product or service for a premium price have something to actual let them interact with.  Sounds like so far there have been "Song of the Day" podcasts but little else.  I noticed in the comments someone asked him if this "Master of Podcasts" podcast he has mentioned several times would be free or part of Platinum service - "No idea" was his response.   If I was Bokassa I'd be thinking "This guy is going to be our manager".

Edited by NorthernLights