The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

On 1/26/2018 at 21:13, 8MileBU said:

I’ve seen Slayer so many times now but they’ve always been brilliant cos they are brilliant. It’d be nice for them and Lombardo to reconcile since it’s the end but I’m probably part of a minority who thinks they sound & play better with Bostaph.

Robb Flynn’s has been totally up front about what kind of album to expect/not expect to be fair but from what I’ve heard, I think I’m still going to be disappointed given the streak of good albums going right back to Through The Ashes.

I enjoyed Bostpah-era Slayer right up until Repentless, on which the drumming is downright awful.

The high point for Bostaph in Slayer has to be the War at the Warfield show, drums like an animal on that thing. 

35 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

I enjoyed Bostpah-era Slayer right up until Repentless, on which the drumming is downright awful.

The high point for Bostaph in Slayer has to be the War at the Warfield show, drums like an animal on that thing. 

Nonsense. Solid.

Anyone listen to Savage Messiah? Saw them supporting Trivium a few years back and they were excellent. Been listening to them a fair bit on Spotify and really enjoying their stuff. Thinking of getting a ticket to their Cathouse gig in April.

On 2/2/2018 at 23:17, IainMorton said:

Anyone listen to Savage Messiah? Saw them supporting Trivium a few years back and they were excellent. Been listening to them a fair bit on Spotify and really enjoying their stuff. Thinking of getting a ticket to their Cathouse gig in April.

Been a fan since i saw them support Evile in the Cathouse years ago.

Didn't know until you mentioned it there that they are touring again, Didn't see them in November when they were supporting Cradle of Filth (who are unbelievably shit) so decided to save my money and give it a miss. Will probably go to this show though :)

15 hours ago, Derek Patterson said:

Glen Tipton of Judas Priest diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. Seemingly had it for 10 years but only becoming a real issue now. Not going to be able to tour the new record but may still play occasional shows.

:(

I met him the tour before last and was a wee bit shocked to see how frail he looked in person, but put it down to him running on empty mid-tour. Clearly there was more to it than just that - horrible thing to hear.

He's a legend though - he and KK Downing more or less laid down the ground rules for metal guitar from the mid-70s onwards...the genre would have evolved a lot differently without them.

With Priest only playing 1 UK show at Bloodstock, I wonder if that is one where Glenn may feel he can join in being as close to his home as it is!

Really awful to read that he is struggling so much. Priest are one of the founding fathers of metal and it is sad that they are coming to an end.

Like AC/DC time, age and health has caught up with them. Like AC/DC what a body of music and legacy Priest have. I remember seeing them

first time in the Edinburgh Odeon in 1980 with Maiden as support. What a night that was. I wish Glenn all the best.

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 02:33, DavieCFC said:

Man the album really is as bad as everyone says it was (It has a sub 2.00 rating on rate your music which is pretty damning). Pretty damn disappointing, but atleast i didn't actually buy it unlike Supercolider.

The meltdowns on FB have been excellent. Robb puts up totally damning reviews from mags etc, along with totally whiny, sweary comments from himself. The carnage then unfolds in the comments.

Seen folk moaning and saying they'll be asking for refunds as Tipton isn't going to be touring. What are they supposed to do? He only came to the decision last Thursday after rehearsing with the band and realising that he physically wouldn't be able to tour.  

Hopefully more reasonable people will go to shows and get right behind the band and support the new record that Glenn worked on.

Metal Hammer has relaunched its podcast - http://teamrock.com/feature/2018-02-08/the-metal-hammer-podcast-is-back-heres-episode-one

I've listened to the first couple of episodes and its OK so far.  It definitely has that "new podcast" vibe - you can tell they're trying to figure out what sort of show they want it to be, production and editing feel a bit raw.  Quite like the wee clips of interviews they have had so far.  Episode 2 has an interview with Rob and Ian from Judas Priest where they talk about Glenn and his battle with Parkinson's in quite a bit of detail.

I can take or leave Dimmu in all honesty. When I'm in the mood I really enjoy them but then I stumble upon their music videos and feel they come off just very goofy and cheesy. Their last album I really enjoyed was In Sorte Diaboli and prior to that Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Abrahadabra wasn't great imo and the new song has it's up's and down's. That mid section with the synth behind it had a bit of Burzum - Dunkelheit feel to it though which I enjoyed.

Made a last minute spontaneous decision to get a ticket for Cannibal Corpse in Glasgow next Thursday. Fair looking forward to it. This'll be my 8th time seeing CC but rather excited about seeing Black Dahlia the most. Should hopefully be a good night. 

I once urinated next to George Fisher in a dodgy Glasgow venue's toilets. He really does have a remarkable neck.

I think some Polish duffers called Krabathor and Scottish hopefuls Regorge supported that night, so it must have been about 98 or so.