The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

I'll tell you something, it's an absolute bitch being a fan of 90's grunge.

Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland and now Chris Cornell. That's 4 of the top 5 grunge singers gone, although none of them have hit me as hard as Chris, I feel like I've grown up with the guy and I was only 15 when KC passed.

Hope to f**k Eddie Vedder bucks this trend. If you haven't already, make sure you catch a PJ concert, it's an experience not to be missed.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

Aye this is a shitter and a bit of a shock! Love Soundgarden and Audioslave's first album is one of my all time favourites (I was blown away the first time I ever heard Cohcise, which was watching the music video; such a tune and at the time I was only really just getting in to music in a big way and had heard nothing like it; plus locals called the police because of all the fireworks, thinking it was a terrorist attack). Anyway, below is probably my favourite song from that album, and really shows how good a singer Cornell was;

To echo what others have said, I'm the last one to jump on the celebrity death grief train but Chris Cornell was one of the very few famous people whose passing could genuinely sadden me. Along with my brothers and sister we all grew up with his music from early 90's Soundgarden to his later solo stuff. Saw him in Glasgow a couple of years ago on the Songbook tour and it was a genuine privilege to have seen it.

Would be shocked if it's confirmed as suicide as he regularly shared pics of being with his wife and kids on social media and seemed to be in the prime of his life. It would also feel really strange for me personally because my favourite song has always been Soundgarden's 'Like Suicide' (which isn't actually about suicide).

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Jesus - feel numb.

You just never know what's going on in some people's lives - our demographic is high risk for suicide please please talk to someone, let someone know how you feel.

That's the thing with depression though. People can become very skilled at hiding it (speaking from personal experience).

So true.
Listening to his music tonight, it's clear he was a tortured soul expressed through his music.
Always came across as genuinely nice, humble witty man at his concerts.
If anyone wants to understand why he's considered one of the greatest rock singers ever, stick on his Songbook album, spine tingling and gut wrenching at the same time.
Never thought he'd go out like this, he's seen it happen to so many of his friends. Not ashamed to admit i've shed a tear or two tonight which i've never done for celeb before.

12 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's the thing with depression though. People can become very skilled at hiding it (speaking from personal experience).

Aye it sounds like the family were oblivious to any problems. Young kids too, tragic stuff.

37 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

For anyone still unaware of the man's skill, this song is the perfect showcase. 1.24 - 2.15 is simply mind blowing vocal work:

I literally just listened to that in the car before coming on here. There are too many astonishing vocal performances to pick a standout but that one is up there.

Fell On Black Days is a gut punch now

"Whatsoever I've feared has come to life
Whatsoever I've fought off became my life
Just when everyday seemed to greet me with a smile
Sunspots have faded and now I'm doing time
Now I'm doing time
'Cause I fell on black days
I fell on black days

Whomsoever I've cured, I've sickened now
And whomsoever I've cradled, I've put you down
I'm a search light soul they say
But I can't see it in the night
I'm only faking when I get it right
When I get it right
'Cause I fell on black days
I fell on black days
How would I know
That this could be my fate?
How would I know
That this could be my fate? Yeah"

A big shock.  Like has been said by others, I'm not usually upset by the death of celebs.  I'll make an exception with Chris Cornell.  So may great songs - solo and  in bands.  Personal favourites are (in no particular order) Black Hole Sun, Burden In My Hand, Gun, Loud Love, Hands All Over, Beyond The Wheel, Slaves And Bulldozers, Searching With My Good Eye Closed etc. Saw him Solo, Audioslave and Soundgarden.  Only Mike Patton and FNM  left, then nothing.

Was at Rammstein in Prague last night, show was in Slavia Prague's ground.

Absolutely phenomenal as expexted, what a day.

Not a fan as such, but their live show is incredible. [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]

Far from a metal band, but this seems the most appropriate thread...

So, the Foo Fighters have quietly snuck out a new track accompanied by a a typically entertaining new video. Grohl loves his metal though, and this ones a bit of a headbanger.

Run: