The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Latest Bloodstock announcement includes Cannibal Corpse on the Saturday night, meaning that in the space of a few hours across two stages there'll be Alestorm, Cannibal Corpse, Exhorder, Gojira and Orphaned Land.

I don't expect to survive that.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Latest Bloodstock announcement includes Cannibal Corpse on the Saturday night, meaning that in the space of a few hours across two stages there'll be Alestorm, Cannibal Corpse, Exhorder, Gojira and Orphaned Land.

I don't expect to survive that.

I'm sorry, did you say Exhorder? As in Louisiana's Exhorder? As in S.I.T.V and The Law Exhorder? They're back?

*Insert wrestling guy toppling backwards off his chair gif*

There is a new regular episode of TNM out today.  I've almost finished it and Steven is now host with Remfry Dedman.  I've enjoyed it and it is good to hear two people in the same room talking again.  I think a little bit was lost when Beez moved to the US and they had to do it via Skype.

With what Hill has posted on that Download forum thread and his introduction to the podcast today he really comes out of this with a lot of respect from me.  He came across as very diplomatic and acknowledges the launch was poorly handled.  He has also produced the majority of the Platinum content from what I've read.  Some of the stuff he says he has almost got ready or recorded sounds interesting as well.

There is a preview edition of the Extreme edition on the Pateron.  I wish I could hear that stuff but not for $27.99.  From the stuff they've posted on Twitter and what Hill said on the podcast I'm hoping they'll come up with a way to access the stuff like Extreme for say £10 a month.  I'd be happy to forgo any access to exclusive social media groups/pages and the non-music podcasts for that.

Well Cannibal Corpse and Black Dahlia last Thursday was interesting but for the wrong reasons. Musically both bands were tight as f**k, especially CC, but an incident during Black Dahlia's set soured the night due to my mate being kicked out for what seems a very silly reason.

I need to set the scene a little bit though. There were four of us in our group, three of which (including myself) are big CC/BDM fans. The other person (the person kicked out) isn't really a big fan of the bands but he's a gig buddy and out of courtesy I asked if he wanted to go. 

My mate, who had had a few drinks pre-gig but was in no way steaming (merry would be the best way to describe him), was having some banter back and forward with Black Dahlia's guitarist Brian. Having watched their DVD's and stuff Brian comes across as a very laid back/down to earth/goofy/up for a laugh type guy. Initially it looked like it was indeed just the pair of them having a bit of fun back and forward but then suddenly a security guy dragged my mate out the crowd and Brian gave him a sarcastic wave. On the build up to this he was loving Black Dahlia's set so it was unfortunate that he ended up missing the rest of the gig.  

I spoke to the bouncers at the front door who said my mate had indeed been kicked out and wasn't allowed back in. I couldn't see him outside but he eventually phoned me and said he was kicked out because Brian had said he (my mate) had 'threatened his life'. 

I've known my mate for decades and whilst he can be a bit hyper when he's had a drink he's in no way a violent/antagonising guy. I have no idea where this accusation from Brian came from but I'm suspecting he's used it as a good excuse to get him thrown out because one thing my mate does have a tendency to do when he's had a drink is act a bit 'camp' and I don't think Brian really 'got' his sense of humour. The only thing I did see him do was shout to Brian he loved him and flashed him the love heart symbol with his hands. All pretty tame and non offensive things to most people but for whatever reason Brian took offence to this.

My mate has a cracking video of Brian getting relatively close to the barrier and you can see him clear as day say to him "I will fucking kill you".  Maybe he caught him on an off night, who knows.

On 13/03/2018 at 20:22, Sauzee#4 said:

Seriously digging the new Parkway Drive song...

Parkway Drive are one of these bands I'm very much aware of but had never actually bothered to listen to.  That song is a fucking banger IMO, has an absolutely massive chorus.  I could just imagine a room full of folk singing along to it when they play it live.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently there'll be an announcement about TNM on Thursday.  Sounds like they'll be making changes to the Patreon.  I see that Hill said on the Download forum that if this doesn't work out as expected/intended then it could mean the end of TNM (we've heard that a few times now).  The Patreon was sitting at 231 last time I checked, from what I saw it peaked at 240.  

Still no sign of the app and the "hours and hours" of daily content still isn't happening.  They did release the first episode of a movie podcast called Straight Outta Popcorn on the standard TNM feed.  I lasted about 15 minutes before deleting it as it was pretty bad.  There has been mention of a "Heavy Metal Football" podcast for over 2 weeks now on their social media but no sign of an actual episode appearing and there seems to have been only one episode of TNM Extreme so far.  Not sure how Beez could be surprised or annoyed that people are sceptical and/or critical about it given that he is charging $27.99 a month and not producing anything close to the levels promised.  

If TNM did end I hope Hill would start something with Remfry as they've been quite decent together on the weekly show.

Anyone at Testament/Annihilator/Vader last night at the QMU?

Apart from the ridiculous time taken to get in (those who had self printed tickets had to wait the longest as apparently they only had 1 working scanner at the door), I thought it a good night. Annihilator were as always superb with Jeff being the happiest man to be seen on a stage in recent times. He gets stronger as a frontman every time I see them. 

Testament were really good with a few songs I can't remember hearing live before which was pleasing. However 4 solos from the band in the set was a bit much (2 guitar, 1 bass and 1 drum). I give a Brucie bonus on hearing some Tool and Rush (including a section of "Cygnus X1) in the bass solo. Nice to see how many folks went mental for that!

What are other's views that were there?

So a game against Aberdeen tomorrow...... then off to the Weege for Epica!

Anyone else heading to that? I am hoping to be in celebratory mode before I get there, but even if not I am sure I shall cheer up and have a better evening! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 08:01, Dunning1874 said:

Lords of the Land day is here. f**k yes.

Wish I could have gone to this but I had a wedding to attend that day.  I see they've already got a band sorted for next year, no name yet other then it'll be a first Scottish show for the band and a UK exclusive.  Hopefully I can make it next year.

Just bought a ticket for APC at the O2 Academy in December.  £51.10 for a ticket :wacko: but I had £40 of Ticketmaster vouchers from Xmas so that helped a lot.

24 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Wish I could have gone to this but I had a wedding to attend that day.  I see they've already got a band sorted for next year, no name yet other then it'll be a first Scottish show for the band and a UK exclusive.  Hopefully I can make it next year.

Just bought a ticket for APC at the O2 Academy in December.  £51.10 for a ticket :wacko: but I had £40 of Ticketmaster vouchers from Xmas so that helped a lot.

Jeez, 50 notes a go...will be well worth it though. I'm all over this.

20 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

Jeez, 50 notes a go...will be well worth it though. I'm all over this.

£42.50 face value, £5.35 "service change", delivery £2.75.  There is also a 50p levy which is listed as "Facility Charge".  Not noticed that before when buying gig tickets.

The new album is decent and hopefully this will be a wee  warm up for a Tool show in Glasgow next year.