The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

As a fan of the more poppy side of things, I really liked b*****ds. An instant hook, some fun cheesy lyrics and a good singalongy thing going. Absurdly different from them though. At least on that song you know what they're going for though.

f**k knows what's going on with the other two.

Fair play to them for realising that the time had come.

Touring and playing music of that intensity will be absolutely draining for young bands, never mind lads well into their 50s who've been doing it for decades.

Don't think I'd want to see them getting to the Stones age and at the stage where they wouldn't be able to do the material justice.

Edited by Derek Patterson
spelling

Fair play to them for realising that the time had come.
Touring and playing music of that intensity will be absolutely draining for young bands, never mind lads well into their 50s who've been doing it for decades.
Don't think I'd want to see them getting to the Stones age and at the stage where they wouldn't be able to do the material justice.

Totally agree. Wonder if we’ll get one more album out of them before they retire...

On 1/22/2018 at 18:49, 8MileBU said:

Totally agree. Wonder if we’ll get one more album out of them before they retire...

Gary Holt reckons a new album is highly unlikely.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/will-there-be-a-new-slayer-studio-album-id-say-its-a-no-says-gary-holt/

Edited by Raithie

54 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Geezo, the new Machine Head is pretty poor overall. A hark back to the nu metal days on some tracks. Triple Beam is an abomination of a song.

I don't even want to hear any more of it to be honest. What I've heard so far has been that bad. :unsure:

54 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Oh well.... Just need to try make sure I get a ticket for whenever they play their farewell gig over here.

Oh well.... Just need to try make sure I get a ticket for whenever they play their farewell gig over here.

Yeah I’ll be defo getting tickets for Slayer as well. Only seen them once and was their classic line up, kinda hoping Lombardo and the rest of Slayer patch up their differences and that he can play a few shows.

55 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Yeah I’ll be defo getting tickets for Slayer as well. Only seen them once and was their classic line up, kinda hoping Lombardo and the rest of Slayer patch up their differences and that he can play a few shows.

I’ve seen Slayer so many times now but they’ve always been brilliant cos they are brilliant. It’d be nice for them and Lombardo to reconcile since it’s the end but I’m probably part of a minority who thinks they sound & play better with Bostaph.

18 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

If they came out and said its a B-Sides album it wouldn't be too bad.

Robb Flynn’s has been totally up front about what kind of album to expect/not expect to be fair but from what I’ve heard, I think I’m still going to be disappointed given the streak of good albums going right back to Through The Ashes.

Robb Flynn’s has been totally up front about what kind of album to expect/not expect to be fair but from what I’ve heard, I think I’m still going to be disappointed given the streak of good albums going right back to Through The Ashes.

The problem with Catharsis is it’s too long both in the number of songs (15) and album length (75 minutes). It’s so disjointed and would have actually been not to bad if they trimmed away the rubbish (Triple Beam, b*****ds, Behind A Mask, Razorblade Smile and the pointless Eulogy). The other songs have their up’s and downs. If ripping off SYL on Beyond The Pale wasn’t enough there’s a riff on Volatile that’s so similar to Cleansation by Chimaira....and there’s a glowing similarity with Slipknot in that song. Hope Begets Hope and Heavy Lies The Crown are decent tunes.

The problem with Catharsis is it’s too long both in the number of songs (15) and album length (75 minutes). It’s so disjointed and would have actually been not to bad if they trimmed away the rubbish (Triple Beam, b*****ds, Behind A Mask, Razorblade Smile and the pointless Eulogy). The other songs have their up’s and downs. If ripping off SYL on Beyond The Pale wasn’t enough there’s a riff on Volatile that’s so similar to Cleansation by Chimaira....and there’s a glowing similarity with Slipknot in that song. Hope Begets Hope and Heavy Lies The Crown are decent tunes.

Just gave the album a listen and I feel it’s just vindicated my earlier post where I said I didn’t want to hear any more. Awful! [emoji1]

The minor positives I took were that Razorblade Smile has a nice bit of pace about it, but the lyrics and their rap style are abysmal.

I liked the guitar tone & downtuning on Grind You Down, but then realised it sounded a bit of a rip off of both Meshuggah and Suicide Silence.