The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

If you're going old school then 

Number of the beast

Piece of Mind

Powerslave 

But to be fair any 3 of the 80s albums in a row are quality.

AC/DC's Powerage, Highway to hell and back in black will be hard to beat for me.

For the Pantera guys out there, cowboys is the best for me, just prefer anselmos singing, growling started but still hit some serious high notes. Shattered riff a highlight.

That's a good shout but i'd have their first three followed by their second three.

South of Heaven's easily the weak link. Couple of quality songs, and the rest is relatively filler. IIRC, it even contains the band's least favourite song from their entire catalogue, though I forget which one. Still an incredible triumvirate, but I'd wager that you could pull three back-to-back from Sabbath's first six that I'd have to admit were 'better'.

Other suggestions:

• Beneath the Remains/Arise/Chaos AD for Sepultura.
  • Do Faith No More count? I'm sure a number of people could choose three from the sliding window of Introduce Yourself/The Real Thing/Angel Dust/King for a Day.
  • L7 - Smell the Magic/Bricks are Heavy/Hungry for Stink.
  • Not a big fan myself, but I'm sure a lot of folk would go for Metallica's first three albums.
  • I'll bet Motorhead pulled off three crackers in a row at some point. Suggestions, people.
  • Rage Against The Machine's first three albums?   :huh:
  • System of a Down/Toxicity/Steal This Album probably edges out Slayer's trilogy for me anyway.

Three top-class albums in a row seems to be particularly hard to pull off. Off the top of my head, I can think of a number of bands who released two classics, followed by something lacklustre, especially at the start of their careers. Obituary and Cannibal Corpse spring to mind as bands who toured relentlessly and brought out two great albums, only to run out of ideas and need a break (by their own admission) by the time they were contractually obligated to make a third.

Some great suggestions on this topic so far.

Some i dont think have been suggested:

Marilyn Manson's  Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals and Holywood  are his best albums.

Anthrax's Fists full of metal, Spreading the Disease and Among the living

Not really metal but Kiss' Destroyer, rock and roll over and love gun are all great albums.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope they are doing a UK tour sometime soon.

Keeps you eyes peeled during the Download Festival weekend. Last two albums they have announced a UK tour for the winter of that year. :)

Edited by IainMorton

Read an article a while ago that concerned the remarkable levels of organ failure and stroke that affect drummers. Can't remember where I found it, but this piece by Cecil Adams is interesting enough for now: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2848/can-playing-the-bongos-make-you-piss-blood.

51, FFS. And the drummer's always at the back of the groupie queue too   :(