E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

2 hours ago, Yonas said:

I have recently got a new laptop from Currys HP to replace my last one which broke so was replaced on the KNOWHOW cover thing. Anyway the new computer worked fine for a day but now is slow as hell and doesnt load YouTube videos or media without it being laggy and Sluggish. You would think its a internet issue but i get 30 meg and every other device loads without a issue.

Would the suggestion  be to take the laptop back to the store? Or is there a simple at home solution which might solve it.

I'd take it back, it's free after all. Had a problem with mine that needed it being sent to their repair centre and got it back in a couple days. Your thing sounds like they might be able to sort it in the shop.

3 hours ago, Yonas said:

I have recently got a new laptop from Currys HP to replace my last one which broke so was replaced on the KNOWHOW cover thing. Anyway the new computer worked fine for a day but now is slow as hell and doesnt load YouTube videos or media without it being laggy and Sluggish. You would think its a internet issue but i get 30 meg and every other device loads without a issue.

Would the suggestion  be to take the laptop back to the store? Or is there a simple at home solution which might solve it.

New laptops and PCs often come with free trial AntiVirus installed on them. If you've subsequently installed your own AntiVirus and Firewall without uninstalling the first, then it could be that your software and the preinstalled software are tripping over each other.

Are there any other installed applications, such as Office, that are installed and, if so, are they running slow or not?

Edited by Funky Nosejob

12 hours ago, Yonas said:

Pull up the task manager. Hover at the bottom tool bar with the quick load icons, right click chose the task manager.

There you will find from the tabs what the f**k your Laptop using utilising resources on. If something is chewing up memory or CPU usage it will show up there.

Most likely will be the Laptop updating the operating system and installed hard/software chewing up resources installing a multitude of program updates. This can take ages to complete especially if your operating system is of the first build and not a later version. It will download in the background chewing up bandwidth and also chewing up CPU usage in installing and that will slow down any downloading in your browser. Best to leave the laptop on as often as possible for the first few days even if you aren't using it so it will complete important updates, will probably shut down and reboot a few times on certain updates. It's a common problem with new laptops until all the updates have been completed.

Not trying to be an arsehole here, but the less powerful the new laptop the fucking worse the problem in the laptop slowing down as it takes longer for updates to download and install especially if you are using it at the time while it is updating itself. Seen a fair few of them.

My iPhone 6S dies at about 30/40% and when switched back on it is on about 10% although it only lasts for two seconds. Can you just put it into a shop to get a new battery?
I'd try the UK Apple website, see if they do something similar to this?

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

• 3 weeks later...

My laptop runs really slow, don't care because I hardly use it, now missus is starting college we need it to be better.
The local computer shop want £130 to install a solid state drive and £20 to case the existing hard drive as a back up, does this sound reasonable?

(Please reply as if I'm an idiot, because I am in these matters)

30 minutes ago, ayrshire_nomad said:

My laptop runs really slow, don't care because I hardly use it, now missus is starting college we need it to be better.
The local computer shop want £130 to install a solid state drive and £20 to case the existing hard drive as a back up, does this sound reasonable?

(Please reply as if I'm an idiot, because I am in these matters)

I'm no expert either but doing a factory reset could speed it up enough for free, depending on how old it is and how much clutter is on it. A cheap USB stick, under a tenner, could probably store the stuff you want to keep. If your laptop is fairly new their offer might be worth it though, SSD's boot in seconds. Not sure what good it would do in an old laptop with low specs.

Right my computer seems to be irredeemably fucked. It made a funny noise last night and after turning it on today it's spent several hours trying to do Startup Repair. If it is fucked, I have one or two questions:

- Is it fucked, or is there a way to get round this? I can't seem to get safe mode to start, I've tried powering off and back on again but when I press F8 the only options are to start windows normally and start startup repair. Both options start startup repair anyway.

- If it's fucked, how fucked will all the data on it be? I have some things backed up and some not, and I'd obviously like to get everything I can off it.

- In doing that, is it just a case of taking it out, plugging it into another computer via a cable of some sort (if so, which?) and using a recovery program?

- I had been considering a new desktop anyway but while this seems to have been pushed forward, is there anything (that isn't a huge box and isn't a gaming PC) that people would recommend?

- Please pity me. 

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Right my computer seems to be irredeemably fucked. It made a funny noise last night and after turning it on today it's spent several hours trying to do Startup Repair. If it is fucked, I have one or two questions:

- Is it fucked, or is there a way to get round this? I can't seem to get safe mode to start, I've tried powering off and back on again but when I press F8 the only options are to start windows normally and start startup repair. Both options start startup repair anyway.

- If it's fucked, how fucked will all the data on it be? I have some things backed up and some not, and I'd obviously like to get everything I can off it.

- In doing that, is it just a case of taking it out, plugging it into another computer via a cable of some sort (if so, which?) and using a recovery program?

- I had been considering a new desktop anyway but while this seems to have been pushed forward, is there anything (that isn't a huge box and isn't a gaming PC) that people would recommend?

- Please pity me. 

Just take it to Team Knowhow at Currys and wait for the police to arrive.

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I laughed in spite of myself. Have a Charles.

Only half joking. Either currys or even better a local computer shop should be able to mirror your hard drive before trying to fix it, so you don't lose anything important if it turns out your computer's fucked, I'd guess at for not much more than £20-30? Me, I'd f-disk it 20 times, take an angle grinder to the whole thing leaving nothing bigger than a lego piece, burn it in sulphuric acid, and get a replacement on Gumtree.

Is there a way that I can cast content from my phone/laptop to an Amazon Fire Stick in the same way that I would cast up to a Chromecast? I've figured out the screen mirroring, but that literally just mirrors whatever is showing on my phone at the time. It's decent enough, but means that all of my phone notifications show up on the TV screen and if I close the video on my phone, it also closes on the fire stick.

Needing some advice. My dad passed away and has a HP envy 2 touchscreen computer we have found which no one wants. It has a screen protector/keyboard with it which doesn't work but I plugged in a USB keyboard which works fine. Anyone know how much it would be worth or anywhere in the Edinburgh/West Lothian region where I could sell it. It's immaculate condition I don't think it's been used much

It's this one https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-envy-15-c000-x2-detachable-pc/7277326/model/7479727?sku=K0X12EA

I had a wee look on eBay and the only one I could find was around the £250 mark but with the keyboard not working would I be able to get around £200

28 minutes ago, YHallSaint said:

Needing some advice. My dad passed away and has a HP envy 2 touchscreen computer we have found which no one wants. It has a screen protector/keyboard with it which doesn't work but I plugged in a USB keyboard which works fine. Anyone know how much it would be worth or anywhere in the Edinburgh/West Lothian region where I could sell it. It's immaculate condition I don't think it's been used much

It's this one https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-envy-15-c000-x2-detachable-pc/7277326/model/7479727?sku=K0X12EA

I had a wee look on eBay and the only one I could find was around the £250 mark but with the keyboard not working would I be able to get around £200

Bit weird the keyboard's fucked if it's hardly been used. Are you sure it's connected properly? 

I take it the keyboard is wireless? Probably does need charged, in that case

It connects to the bottom of the computer. It has a power button on it as well. My dad was in hospital for a couple months so it hasn't been used. I'll try leave it plugged in for a bit

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ayrshire_nomad said:

Does anyone on here subscribe to HP's instant ink?

Does it represent good value or are there alternatives out there?

Just bought my first ever printer a HP deskjet 2630 if that's relevant

Got an HP printer and the ink usually lasts 3 years or more. Unless you're printing colour pamphlets every day it's probably not worth it. For normal printing I'd set the default to greyscale though.