E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

The money isn’t really an issue. Just don’t want to be spending money on something that’s over spec. In my ignorance, ram and solid state drives, you’d be as well speaking Swahili. 

I had a wee photography business for a while and my laptop kept freezing because of the load I was putting on it. High ram and a ssd will just mean it will cope better and more quickly. If you get seriously into photography you'll appreciate more oomph.

I have an 8 year old HP G56 laptop which was replaced long ago as it runs so slowly and is unresponsive. I'm tempted to chuck it out or send it somewhere for recycling but was wondering how to reset it to factory settings to see if that might give it a new lease of life. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

ETA......Cracked it from HP website and it's now good as new and fast as hell.........like getting a new laptop!!

Edited by jimmy boo

Anyone on here got IPVanish? I just got it there for a month? After I did it, I read quite a lot of rubbish reviews. So I hope I’ve not been done..

Seems to be working fine just now though. 

1 hour ago, Wardy said:

Anyone on here got IPVanish? I just got it there for a month? After I did it, I read quite a lot of rubbish reviews. So I hope I’ve not been done..

Seems to be working fine just now though. 

It comes recommended by a few of the techy tutorial guys on youtube I subscribe to. Don't have it myself but let us know how you find it.

40 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

It comes recommended by a few of the techy tutorial guys on youtube I subscribe to. Don't have it myself but let us know how you find it.

Yeah some of the reviewers were saying don’t let that fool you, as they are probably endorsed by IPVanish. I’m only using it to watch UKTVNow.

The speed is actually pretty slow compared to the 40mbps I have normally, but I think that’s to be expected. So still just use Terrarium TV without the VPN. Somebody stop me!

2 hours ago, Wardy said:

Yeah some of the reviewers were saying don’t let that fool you, as they are probably endorsed by IPVanish. I’m only using it to watch UKTVNow.

The speed is actually pretty slow compared to the 40mbps I have normally, but I think that’s to be expected. So still just use Terrarium TV without the VPN. Somebody stop me!

Just saw a message there on UKTV Now that they're having problems and UK viewers should use a VPN. Up until last week my speed was 5MB but got Infinity now with 30MB so could be a possibility. I thought the free VPN's lowered your speed and paid ones did not?

Anyway Terrarium and Solid Streamz working fine just now.

13 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Just saw a message there on UKTV Now that they're having problems and UK viewers should use a VPN. Up until last week my speed was 5MB but got Infinity now with 30MB so could be a possibility. I thought the free VPN's lowered your speed and paid ones did not?

Anyway Terrarium and Solid Streamz working fine just now.

Yeah terrarium works fine without the VPN. Not too bothered about that. But they seem to hold ok on the VPN. Might be due to the time of day though. Ah well if it goes downhill I’ll just have to cancel the subscription. 

On 12/04/2018 at 00:19, 54_and_counting said:

Anyone know why any embedded tweets look like this, and when i click on the link the tweet link simply disappears and it just looks like a forum post

Screenshot_2018-04-12-00-13-54.png

I have to right click on the link and open in a new tab and works every time. I had the same problem as you, must be some browser option blocking particular or certain links???

I use Firefox, don't know if this is relevant!

11 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

I have to right click on the link and open in a new tab and works every time. I had the same problem as you, must be some browser option blocking particular or certain links???

I use Firefox, don't know if this is relevant!

Ive never figured it out on Firefox but i got it sorted on mobile site, had to turn off the tracking blocker that Samsung internet uses, firefox might have something similar

5 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Ive never figured it out on Firefox but i got it sorted on mobile site, had to turn off the tracking blocker that Samsung internet uses, firefox might have something similar

Done a bit of internet searching and found out that Firefox last year added an extension that blocked Facebook tracking your internet activity. Any links tracked by Facebook were automatically blocked as a privacy option which I like and can pick and choose which content I don't mind Facebook collecting.

Anyone here needed to replace a cracked screen on a Samsung Galaxy S7 and are the usual small independent shops on every high st capable of doing a good job? I'm guessing if I took it to EE they'd charge me an arm and a leg and take it off me for days. What price range are we talking? Don't have specific insurance for it but might be covered elsewhere.

Anyone here needed to replace a cracked screen on a Samsung Galaxy S7 and are the usual small independent shops on every high st capable of doing a good job? I'm guessing if I took it to EE they'd charge me an arm and a leg and take it off me for days. What price range are we talking? Don't have specific insurance for it but might be covered elsewhere.

I cracked mines a couple of months ago and ever the local phone repairers were quoting about £150. Just decided to live with it!

8 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Watch that their repair contract isnt that they simply send you a refurbished phone instead, so if you sent yours away without backing everything up, pics, numbers etc you'd be fucked, orange used to do that and o2 did the last time i looked it up

12 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Watch that their repair contract isnt that they simply send you a refurbished phone instead, so if you sent yours away without backing everything up, pics, numbers etc you'd be fucked, orange used to do that and o2 did the last time i looked it up

Cheers. I've never heard of that.

On 24/04/2018 at 12:33, spud131 said:

Yeah, girl at work get her iPhone 7 screen replaced at the same shop and it was only £50. Not sure why Samsung are more expensive.

I am certain it is to do with the Oled screen technology being far more expensive to produce than the bog standard LCD Led backlit ones.

Not sure if they replace the whole screen & digitizer connected to the Oled panel whereas with the LCD Led backlit panel you just have the glass screen & digitizer replaced and the LCD Led backlit panel does not get replaced unless the panel is also fucked.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2 different Hotmail Email accounts which I have to log onto separately. Couple of days ago one of them totally changed format for the worse so when you click to open it instead of filling the page it just appears on about a third of the screen going down. I'm hoping this isn't the way they're going and I can return it back somehow?

• 2 months later...

I have recently got a new laptop from Currys HP to replace my last one which broke so was replaced on the KNOWHOW cover thing. Anyway the new computer worked fine for a day but now is slow as hell and doesnt load YouTube videos or media without it being laggy and Sluggish. You would think its a internet issue but i get 30 meg and every other device loads without a issue.

Would the suggestion  be to take the laptop back to the store? Or is there a simple at home solution which might solve it.