E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:
I need to buy more storage for my ps4. Obviously buying an external HDD is much easier than opening the machine up, but does it affect performance adversely? Also, any recommendations for ones that won't crash all the time?

I got one of theses http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391826890619 except it was the 4GB version for £100. All my new games are automatically stored to it and it actually loads games faster than the PS4 system hard drive. Had it a good few months now and it's been flawless so far.

Edited by YER SISTERS YER MAW

Can anyone recommend a fairly decent but cheap smartphone? It's for the wife who is constantly breaking/losing her phones so looking for a cheap replacement for her currently incapacitated LG G3. Preferably about the £100 mark but cheaper would be acceptable. I've had a look on Amazon and there are a few that might do it, but was wondering if anyone else had a thoroughly clumsy wife for whom they've had to source replacement phones.

2 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

Can anyone recommend a fairly decent but cheap smartphone? It's for the wife who is constantly breaking/losing her phones so looking for a cheap replacement for her currently incapacitated LG G3. Preferably about the £100 mark but cheaper would be acceptable. I've had a look on Amazon and there are a few that might do it, but was wondering if anyone else had a thoroughly clumsy wife for whom they've had to source replacement phones.

Can't remember the name but the cheapest Sony comes in at about £100 and it's almost the same as my fancy one but doesn't have stuff like thumbprint security and the like. My sister got one after smashing her old one and of course cracked the screen after a week, but she's stuck with it. Has finally bought a case to protect it. 

P.S. Think it's the Xperia E5 and it might be a bit over £100. 

If you don't mind dipping your toes into the Chinese market, you will get a fairly good spec phone for under £100. This one has an Amoled display. https://m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_683592.html For a phone priced at £98 having that type of screen is unreal. You normally see Amoled in flagships. You will definitely get a better spec Chinese phone than you would compared to what you normally see in the UK market in that price bracket. Here's a review of the Thor plus;

• 2 weeks later...

Quick one for those who may be in the know. Recently got powerline adaptors so I can have an ethernet connection to my PS4/Android box in my living room. All set up, all fine. I'm in a one bed flat, and when I renovated the bathroom it involved smashing a new thick concrete wall up, so the wireless strength isn't great in my bedroom. Bought a Belkin range extender, smashed it into the socket. It's meant to show up as "Belkin.setup" but the new connection shows up as "TP-Link", the brand of my powerline adaptors. I tried connecting to it by putting in my password (the one on the router) but it didn't like it and won't connect. People of the P&B E-Chat forum, fix my problems please!

Edit: I've unplugged the wireless adaptors, and reset the extender. It still shows up at "TP-Link-1A31". And it still won't connect.

Edited by Big Fifer

On 20/10/2017 at 12:42, Big Fifer said:

Quick one for those who may be in the know. Recently got powerline adaptors so I can have an ethernet connection to my PS4/Android box in my living room. All set up, all fine. I'm in a one bed flat, and when I renovated the bathroom it involved smashing a new thick concrete wall up, so the wireless strength isn't great in my bedroom. Bought a Belkin range extender, smashed it into the socket. It's meant to show up as "Belkin.setup" but the new connection shows up as "TP-Link", the brand of my powerline adaptors. I tried connecting to it by putting in my password (the one on the router) but it didn't like it and won't connect. People of the P&B E-Chat forum, fix my problems please!

Edit: I've unplugged the wireless adaptors, and reset the extender. It still shows up at "TP-Link-1A31". And it still won't connect.

dunno if this helps mate

https://www.computing.net/answers/networking/belkin-wifi-extender-not-working/52122.html

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any way i can clean junk from my Mac for free? I clicked on something earlier that asked for an adobe update and i think it was a virus and i keep getting stuff from Mackeeper saying they want £5 a month to protect my mac. I have had it 4 years now and haven't had any problem but right now things keep popping up saying its in danger.

• 1 month later...
On 14/11/2017 at 13:48, throbber said:

Is there any way i can clean junk from my Mac for free? I clicked on something earlier that asked for an adobe update and i think it was a virus and i keep getting stuff from Mackeeper saying they want £5 a month to protect my mac. I have had it 4 years now and haven't had any problem but right now things keep popping up saying its in danger.

Did you sort this?  CCleaner works well.

Did you sort this?  CCleaner works well.

I have hardly used my Mac since. Only for watching football.

Is C Cleaner free?

ETA I was thinking of just backing up what I need and then restoring it to factory settings.

Yes, CCleaner is free.  I can't guarantee it will remove everything but it's done it for me before.  My firm's IT support recommend it as well for PC computers.

What you suggest will probably work as well.  Do you have slowdown issues?  I've had a mac since Jan '15 and it still boots up in seconds and runs as fast as when I got it (albeit I went for a high-spec one at the time).

On 14/11/2017 at 13:48, throbber said:

A bit late, but I use Dr Cleaner. Its a free app and does the trick. 

Yes, CCleaner is free.  I can't guarantee it will remove everything but it's done it for me before.  My firm's IT support recommend it as well for PC computers.

What you suggest will probably work as well.  Do you have slowdown issues?  I've had a mac since Jan '15 and it still boots up in seconds and runs as fast as when I got it (albeit I went for a high-spec one at the time).

Yeah it is running very slowly, I clicked on something which said I needed an update which I agreed to and it has been awful ever since. Windows opening all the time so browsing is almost impossible and pop ups coming up despite having an ad blocker app, the internet also disconnects it I have been inactive for a few minutes so I need to restart it to get online again. I’ll try that c cleaner later on and if all else fails I’ll just back up what I want and then restore to factory settings. Don’t have much on it that matters now that I have finished uni and my Mrs has finished all her work on so couldn’t care less about most of It!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Samsung tablet for Christmas and have been having problems with the internet on it. It connects to the router no bother but every half hour or so I get an exclamation mark next to the WiFi icon and it says "connected, no internet access." This lasts for a minute or two before everything then goes back to normal and starts working again but the problem then repeats itself.

The confusing thing for me is that, while the tablet says there's no internet access, every other device on the same network is fine. I've tried forgetting the network and reconnecting, I've rebooted the router and I've done a factory reset of the tablet. None of these things appear to have worked and this is as far as my technical know-how will take me. Does anyone have any ideas?

13 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I got a Samsung tablet for Christmas and have been having problems with the internet on it. It connects to the router no bother but every half hour or so I get an exclamation mark next to the WiFi icon and it says "connected, no internet access." This lasts for a minute or two before everything then goes back to normal and starts working again but the problem then repeats itself.

The confusing thing for me is that, while the tablet says there's no internet access, every other device on the same network is fine. I've tried forgetting the network and reconnecting, I've rebooted the router and I've done a factory reset of the tablet. None of these things appear to have worked and this is as far as my technical know-how will take me. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sounds faulty, send it back.

On 01/01/2018 at 23:39, Ron Aldo said:

Have you installed the latest firmware update? This sounds like something that should/could be resolved with an update rather than a replacement. If updating to the latest version doesn't resolve then issue then I'd contact samsung support (http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/) who will be able to diagnose for you.

On 01/01/2018 at 23:39, Ron Aldo said:

6 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

Have you installed the latest firmware update? This sounds like something that should/could be resolved with an update rather than a replacement. If updating to the latest version doesn't resolve then issue then I'd contact samsung support (http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/) who will be able to diagnose for you.

I see they have a service centre in St Enochs.

Samsung Support Centre | Glasgow
more
Glasgow,0.56 Mile

Address : 1st Floor, Unit 112, St Enoch Centre,G1 4BW

12 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Completely fucked my iPhone 6s on Saturday during the celebrations of our win at Ayr, any idea how much it would be to replace the whole screen?It’s not just cracked the whole display is ruined.

I think Timpsons do it for about £80, might be more.