Minecraft!

Ric

I was about to crack into this, but seen the price was £16.95, was looking for something a bit less than that so went to have a bash on the free version to see if I liked it first but I was faced with a page that told me the controls... and didn't proceed from there. Any ideas? Maybe it's just not for me. :lol:

ETA: Java.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was about to crack into this, but seen the price was £16.95, was looking for something a bit less than that so went to have a bash on the free version to see if I liked it first but I was faced with a page that told me the controls... and didn't proceed from there. Any ideas? Maybe it's just not for me. :lol:

ETA: Java.

I'll admit I use a hooky version (I think it's 1.2.5), there's several reasons for that, but once I settle down and get a decent rig running games I'll happily put the money into it.

As for the Java comment, upgrade your JDE as it will help run it more smoothly. I pasted a link somewhere in this thread. I am on 1.7.

I got this a couple of days ago and f**k is it addicting. I've built myself a wee cabin and I don't want to say sex dungeon but if I we're labelling it then it's a sex dungeon/mine. I've been killed by creepers a few times and once by a wolf but by and large I've got very little contact with them. I'm struggling to find any sheep, not for the sex dungeon I only live in Aberdeen, so I can get wool but I'm sure I'll find some.

How do you install mods? Tried to install them before but found it really difficult.

There are two main ways; either manually via the .jar file and winrar, or via a patch utility which is just a front end that does the same thing.

I used MCPatcher... http://www.minecraftdl.com/mcpatcher-hd-fix/ ...which allows you to use HD texture packs as well. However there are quite a few patching tools out there.

If you wish to be a little more hardcore then get WinRar (or 7z or another similar archiving tool) and open up the Minecraft.jar file (all depends on the OS you are running this on as to where this sits; for example on Win7 it is in your User profile in the AppData/Roaming/.minecraft folder). When you open that you'll see a list of Java .class files. Most mods simply replace those, so with WinRar open you just drag the files from the mod into the archive (and overwrite). Not all mods work that way although most mods do have a readme.txt file that'll explain the process.

Texture packs simply go in the texture pack folder (in Minecraft from the main menu you can select texture packs with a button that will open explorer with the folder open so you can find it easily). You need to have the app patched if you are going to use HD textures (and there are some lovely packs out there, just read back through this thread for my links).

Tried playing this a few times but just cannot get into it. Struggling to see what the draw is, tbh.

It's just a big lego set to be honest, with the survival mode being a bit of fun rather than being overly challenging - even on the hardest settings. Just depends on whether it floats your boat. Me, for instance, I can stand RTS and MMORPG games. WoW turns me cold.

One criticism with the game is once you get started you really aren't doing anything but building stuff for fun, which is where the TerraFirmaCraft mod comes in which makes resource control a lot more involved and the physics more like real life (rocks will fall down if you tunnel underneath them).

What's the multiplayer like? And where can I acquire the 'hooky' version of this? Tried getting into the old free version, but struggled. It's the type of thing I'd love but I'm not the greatest with PC type controls.

What's the multiplayer like? And where can I acquire the 'hooky' version of this? Tried getting into the old free version, but struggled. It's the type of thing I'd love but I'm not the greatest with PC type controls.

I would love to tell you where you can get such a hooky version but then sadly the rules of this forum prohibit me from doing so.

As for the multiplayer, I find it ok if a little dull. That said it's been a long time since I played it. From memory it's just the same as single player except you enter a world where not only are there things already built but people can build/destroy them further - which also means they can destroy stuff you've built if they are feeling particularly cuntish.

I tried to install TerraFirmaCraft as it looked quite good but i dont' think its worked. I downloaded the server core and the client core and the textures too like it says to on their website. I then extracted all the files using winrar and placed them in the minecraft.jar file. I said to add and replace the files and it all worked fine. When I went onto minecraft nothing had changed. Help?

I tried to install TerraFirmaCraft as it looked quite good but i dont' think its worked. I downloaded the server core and the client core and the textures too like it says to on their website. I then extracted all the files using winrar and placed them in the minecraft.jar file. I said to add and replace the files and it all worked fine. When I went onto minecraft nothing had changed. Help?

I presume you followed the instructions here...

http://www.terrafirmacraft.com/download/

Did you delete the Meta-inf folder from within the Minecraft.jar file? That seems to be a common problem with patches not working.

I have to say I would probably delete all previous versions of MC first so you are starting clean. I've not actually installed TFC myself yet. I've been following the updates and I'm waiting for a suitable point to jump into it (I think once v2 comes out of Beta which shouldn't be too long now), so I can't tell you how to get it working.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know how the powered rail lines work? I was of the impression that they give your minecarts a boost of momentum and you don't require your entire rail line to be made from powered rails, since that would use up way too many gold ores.

They need to be connected to be powered on by redstone. And no, they don't push you right round the track, just give you a boost. I usually put one powered rail followed by 5/6 normal rails, then a powered one, then 5/6 normal etc etc.

They need to be connected to be powered on by redstone. And no, they don't push you right round the track, just give you a boost. I usually put one powered rail followed by 5/6 normal rails, then a powered one, then 5/6 normal etc etc.

Thanks chief.

• 2 months later...

Downloaded this the other day. Shit the bed it's addictive.

Ridiculously so. One of those games you can sit down for 5 minutes saying to yourself, "I'll just fix that fence, then grab some lunch", only to find 10 hours later you are sitting in a darkened room and marvelling at a half build cathedral.

Out of interest, is there anyone out there who thinks Minecraft is just not retro enough? Perhaps you feel there are just too many dimensions in the game and that it really needs to cut down? No? Well after playing Minicraft (also known as MiniTale) you just might as the coders have taken the game and fitted it into a NES style wrapper.

This is the original version...

http://playminicraft.com/mod.php?m=minicraft-official

..but there are loads of mods for it too. It's surprisingly good fun to play and despite it's limitations it deals with the mining and crafting elements pretty damned well. In fact, considering Minecraft for mobile devices is a bit pants (just now at least) this might be the ideal replacement for mining and crafting on the bus, waiting in line at the bank or just sitting in your pants at home on a dull Sunday afternoon.

Still not convinced, have a quick video that shows the gameplay as well as giving you a little chuckle..

Archived