Fallout New Vegas

the_russian

On 05/09/2016 at 17:54, Mr X said:

Im bumping this after it was discussed on the Fallout 4 thread.

Just about to start a new game, installed a bunch of mods, mainly texture packs and bug fixes. Could do with a really nice ENB too if anyones got any suggestions

Cant remember why but I never ended up playing it after I posted this.

Just reinstalled it, again with a bunch of mods and played through the Goodsprings stuff at the start. Liking it so far, nice Fallout fix :) 

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Cant remember why but I never ended up playing it after I posted this.

Just reinstalled it, again with a bunch of mods and played through the Goodsprings stuff at the start. Liking it so far, nice Fallout fix :) 

I keep going to load it up but just haven't quite got to it yet.

• 1 month later...

Just finished the story on this, it's available on PS Now.  I played 4 when it came out, but allowing for graphical improvements this was much better. Only real gripe was the noted invisible walls.  Oh, and the radio- I used to like Big Iron...

I tried 3 as well but it seemed to have much more of the fannying about in the dark in a building with two dozen identical rooms that I didn't like about 4.

As usual with Bethesda game I became an almost unkillable god towards the end but couldn't really be arsed tweaking the difficulty.  Going to read this thread back now and see what I've missed on my first playthrough.

Just finished the story on this, it's available on PS Now.  I played 4 when it came out, but allowing for graphical improvements this was much better. Only real gripe was the noted invisible walls.  Oh, and the radio- I used to like Big Iron...
I tried 3 as well but it seemed to have much more of the fannying about in the dark in a building with two dozen identical rooms that I didn't like about 4.
As usual with Bethesda game I became an almost unkillable god towards the end but couldn't really be arsed tweaking the difficulty.  Going to read this thread back now and see what I've missed on my first playthrough.
Am I the only one who didn't like Vegas? I've started it twice and got bored almost straight away.

On 12/04/2018 at 21:40, Mr X said:

Am I the only one who didn't like Vegas? I've started it twice and got bored almost straight away.

The start is more boring than the other gsmes because you don't start in a vault. It gets so much better after the first couple of hours.

I enjoyed - and completed - three and four, but have never managed to persevere with NV. Don't know why, exactly. (Currently back in Skyrim, level fifteen so the games warming up nicely before the grinding of gold for property and such starts...)

12 hours ago, GiGi said:

The start is more boring than the other gsmes because you don't start in a vault. It gets so much better after the first couple of hours.

I dont think Ive ever lasted that long, maybe I'll give it another go

11 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
On 12/04/2018 at 21:40, Mr X said:

I enjoyed - and completed - three and four, but have never managed to persevere with NV. Don't know why, exactly. (Currently back in Skyrim, level fifteen so the games warming up nicely before the grinding of gold for property and such starts...)

Same. I spent god know who many hours on 3 and 4 and had no problem getting into either pretty much straight away - same with Skyrim actually.

The writing in NV is far, far better than 3, 4 or Skyrim which makes it much easier to persevere with the gameplay flaws that are inherent in any Bethesda game. 4’s definitely the most enjoyable to play but more as a survival shooter than as a Fallout game.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

The writing in NV is far, far better than 3, 4 or Skyrim which makes it much easier to persevere with the gameplay flaws that are inherent in any Bethesda game. 4’s definitely the most enjoyable to play but more as a survival shooter than as a Fallout game.

And thats what Ive heard from lots of people (ie a couple of posters on here). It really doesnt seem that way early in the game though

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

I dont think Ive ever lasted that long, maybe I'll give it another go

Same. I spent god know who many hours on 3 and 4 and had no problem getting into either pretty much straight away - same with Skyrim actually.

I would recommend committing to the point you reach the main actors in the game which are the controlling factions of the Mojave desert. I agree the start is shite - I didn't really play new Vegas for a good year after I bought it because the start of the game was empty and unengaging and I didn't go back to it. I was glad when I finally did, it's really good. The DLC are superb as well.

4 minutes ago, Crroma said:

New Vegas is the better game but with a far less exciting premise. 3 nailed it with you starting in the vault.

Yeah pretty much this. The start is a bad introduction to a good game. 

New Vegas' storyline is the best. It felt connected to how you play the game compared to 4s "I'm desperate to find my son!!! But I'll go do three million side quests firsts" way of doing. 

Can't stop playing NV until you meet the Legion and Mr House, IMO. If you're still not enjoying it by then, then fair dues. 

My least favourite bits of NV were exploring the vaults while on quests, especially that one with all the fucking plants.

Not difficult enemies but ticked every box in my fannying about in endless almost identical rooms, think that quest took me about an hour and a half as I did 't have enough repair skill to fix the lift and I had to wait til I'd rescued the ghoul woman for her to do it. Maybe I have in game claustrophobia and enjoyed the wandering about outside more.

Re: the ending(s), I know the game is 8 years old but I'll be nice and put it in spoilers

Spoiler

I went with the NCR (was originally going to go myself but bottled it, if I play through it again I'll do that) as they seemed the lesser of the 3 evils. Must admit when I was met by the general at the end they were going to shoot me again and the game would come full circle. Other than completionism or just actively being a bad b*****d I can't see how you'd go with the Legion.

Absolutely murking Cesar and his goons with a fat man was one of my most ever satisfying moments playing video games. Killed pretty much everyone bar the Brotherhood who were hard as fucking nails.

I think I went myself, tbh. 

Spoiler

Although you regret it straight after killing Mr House, as you get some message or thing you can read that tells you he was humanities great hope in the Wasteland. The ends mental with everyone trying to kill you and each other. Fucking loved that game. 

Theres a quarry full of Deathclaws somewhere as well, I stumbled into it fairly early on with no real idea what they were. Shot at the one I could see, only for it to turn at me and another couple to walk around a corner. Genuine fear.

I enjoyed how the map had clear areas that you could and couldn’t go to. You had to level up substantially before taking on the quarry whereas I managed to wander through the Glowing Sea at level 20. The fact that all the DLCs are tied to the main game and each other is another thing I really enjoy.

Archived