Gambling forum quick questions thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I've just opened an account with Stan James and am trying to place my first bet.

It has an option "Accept automatic re-offers?".

Any idea what this means and whether I should tick it when placing my bet? Thanks in advance.

It probably means accept changed odds if they change while you're completing the bet. I'd say no unless it's a rushed live bet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't understand Betfair. I hate the Tories so thought may as well bet on them to do really well at next election to cheer myself up if the worst happens.

Best odds I could find was 62/5 on them to win 450-499 seats, so put £50 on. Did it with Betfair as they were the best odds on Oddschecker. I'm sure I've bet with them before and it was like a normal bookmaker.

Now it is saying I've only staked £12.31, and has a status of "Unmatched"... but it has taken the full £50 out of my account.

Will it stake the rest of the money automatically, or will I get my money back or just lose it?

To complicate matters, I noticed a free £50 bet and used it before checking if the Tory bet had gone through properly. Will I still get my winnings if it comes in, and is there any chance they could end up taking more money off me if I'm judged not to have met the conditions to gain the free bet if the Tory one hasn't gone through properly?

Think it means someone was only willing to take £37.69 of your bet and remaining 12.31 will wait until someone else takes the bet and will be returned after the election if nobody does. Might be talking out of my arse though as I haven't used Betfair for years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2017 at 13:28, Bully Wee Villa said:

Will it stake the rest of the money automatically, or will I get my money back or just lose it?

To complicate matters, I noticed a free £50 bet and used it before checking if the Tory bet had gone through properly. Will I still get my winnings if it comes in, and is there any chance they could end up taking more money off me if I'm judged not to have met the conditions to gain the free bet if the Tory one hasn't gone through properly?

For the first part of your post, welshbairn explained it perfectly. Your bet was partially matched, which means that someone was laying the bet in the market, but not for the full amount that would allow yours to be fully matched.

To follow on from that, and to answer the question I've left quoted above, this market is going to be a highly liquid one (lots of people betting on it), which means there's a good chance it will get matched automatically, if it's not already. The only way in which it might not is if the odds in the market shift, and people are only offering a lower price than the one you're trying to bet at. In this case, you'll be able to amend the remainder of your unmatched bet at a lower price. This, in turn, would (I assume) mean you've met the criteria for your free bet as well.

23 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I dunno? I think most bookies are tax-dodging b*****ds. Bet365 seem the most ethical but I've got a cob on about them not giving me an inplay offer last weekend.

Just pulling your plunger... I'm sure they're all as bad as each other. 

You've got a "cob on" ? ... you've been down in England too long chief!

• 1 month later...

So I’ve now deleted bet365 due to an argument with customer service, can anyone recommend any other providers/who’s the best in regards to promotions and interface? I’ve tried paddy power and skybet and to be honest both have either poor interfaces or are just ridiculously slow compared to bet365?

1 hour ago, boulderdomb said:

So I’ve now deleted bet365 due to an argument with customer service, can anyone recommend any other providers/who’s the best in regards to promotions and interface? I’ve tried paddy power and skybet and to be honest both have either poor interfaces or are just ridiculously slow compared to bet365?

Bet365 is probably the slickest - William Hill and Coral are particularly bad. In terms of markets available, Sky Bet would be my choice. 

The mobile apps I mean. Don't use desktop.

Edited by Karpaty

1 hour ago, boulderdomb said:

McBookies are ok, especially for Scottish football. Their odds are usually better than most and you get plenty offers and free bets. The mobile interface is ok but the desktop version is clumsy compared to Bet365.