Arnold Clark Horror Stories

It's a total myth that tyres cant be fixed after tyre sealant is used.  The main reason they tell you they cant be sorted is that the tyre fitter monkeys are too lazy to clean the tyre property. Plus it's a good excuse for them to sell more tyres obviously. 

Have you ever seen the mess of the tyre once it's been used?

25 minutes ago, Pepper said:

It's a total myth that tyres cant be fixed after tyre sealant is used.  The main reason they tell you they cant be sorted is that the tyre fitter monkeys are too lazy to clean the tyre property. Plus it's a good excuse for them to sell more tyres obviously. 

^^ tyre inflation kit salesman found

I hate the space saver wheel / type inflation scam with modern cars. To reduce weight and "improve" MPG / emissions, spare types with a new car are rarities nowadays. The tyre inflation kit is a piece is useless junk and if you are lucky enough to get it to work (think it works in about 5% of cases) then it ruins any chance of the old tyre being fixed.
anyway, not wanting to be caught with a flat, after a few months of owning my current car I rang ACs parts department asking for a quote on a proper spare tyre. I was quoted £430 + VAT [emoji38]
Needless to say a metal rim was obtained from some German tyre company online and the rubber duly fitted "off the books" by a guy at the local kwik fit for about £100.
AC have good deals or brand new / nearly new cars. For anything else forget them: totally doolally to go near the place for parts or servicing.

Its a laughably shite idea. Customer of ours just bought a £70k BMW, bought brand new tyres, a few weeks later they ran over a nail in the street and the cars now trapped in their drive on an axle stand because the tyre size is such a unique one it takes a couple of days to get one delivered (another hilariously shite idea BMW had). The woman's having to get a bus to work because she can't drive her car.

Nobody will ever convince me getting rid of spare wheels is anything more than companies cutting costs to try and maximise profit.

Booked car in with AC for brake noise and binding the other day, in and out in a couple hours, car cleaned in and out all for 50 quid.

I wouldn't even get that at local garage (although I could clean my own brakes easy enough if I could be arsed I guess)

I still think they are fine as long as you know when to say no to them eg near 400 quid for new pads and discs.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its a laughably shite idea. Customer of ours just bought a £70k BMW, bought brand new tyres, a few weeks later they ran over a nail in the street and the cars now trapped in their drive on an axle stand because the tyre size is such a unique one it takes a couple of days to get one delivered (another hilariously shite idea BMW had). The woman's having to get a bus to work because she can't drive her car.

Nobody will ever convince me getting rid of spare wheels is anything more than companies cutting costs to try and maximise profit.

Paid £70,000 for a car and can't afford to rent one for a few days? 

11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Booked car in with AC for brake noise and binding the other day, in and out in a couple hours, car cleaned in and out all for 50 quid.

I wouldn't even get that at local garage (although I could clean my own brakes easy enough if I could be arsed I guess)

I still think they are fine as long as you know when to say no to them eg near 400 quid for new pads and discs.

^^^ This.  If you aren't very bright you'll let folk take the piss and in my guess it won't just be with cars.

Paid £70,000 for a car and can't afford to rent one for a few days? 

I don't know her exact financial details. Was merely rumoured her husband got a lump sum payment from his work and spent the lot on a car.

15 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I hate the space saver wheel / type inflation scam with modern cars. To reduce weight and "improve" MPG / emissions, spare types with a new car are rarities nowadays. The tyre inflation kit is a piece is useless junk and if you are lucky enough to get it to work (think it works in about 5% of cases) then it ruins any chance of the old tyre being fixed.

anyway, not wanting to be caught with a flat, after a few months of owning my current car I rang ACs parts department asking for a quote on a proper spare tyre. I was quoted £430 + VAT :lol:

Needless to say a metal rim was obtained from some German tyre company online and the rubber duly fitted "off the books" by a guy at the local kwik fit for about £100.

AC have good deals or brand new / nearly new cars. For anything else forget them: totally doolally to go near the place for parts or servicing.

Did exactly the same thing with mine.  The inflation kit got binned and I found a scrappy online that was selling the winch contraption that suspends the spare tyre under my car, ordered the metal rim and got my local garage to fit a tyre to it and fitted the lot myself.  Think I was about £120 out of pocket all in.

Did exactly the same thing with mine.  The inflation kit got binned and I found a scrappy online that was selling the winch contraption that suspends the spare tyre under my car, ordered the metal rim and got my local garage to fit a tyre to it and fitted the lot myself.  Think I was about £120 out of pocket all in.

What make of Car do you have that requires you to suspend a spare wheel from it. Does it not have a spare wheel well in the boot?

Just now, killiepiemuncher said:

Didn’t know that wow. Must be horrible fishing a manky spare from under a motor. Changing a wheel is a dirty enough job without it covered in road muck.

It's quite common.  Luckily i've not had to do it yet.*

*I'll let you all know how I get on when I get back to the car tonight and the flat tyre that no doubt awaits me.

5 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

It's quite common.  Luckily i've not had to do it yet.*

*I'll let you all know how I get on when I get back to the car tonight and the flat tyre that no doubt awaits me.

Don't you have a man servant for that, and I presume the Clio is your third or fourth car obviously?

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

The Clio is my running about car that is used pretty much exclusively for picking the kids up from nursery, my wife has the big motor.

And I'm more than capable of changing a tyre.  Only some sort of emasculated nancy boy would rely on getting a man in to do it.

I don't think I could change a tyre, but I could manage to change a wheel no problem. :thumsup2