Arnold Clark Horror Stories

Bought the wife a car at AC and they added £25 for petrol onto the bill . When I asked them to remove it the lady said that it's a default setting on the computer and its added to every account and can't be removed without the managers permission . Cynical old me but is this a scam and has anybody else requested that it's deleted ? 

12 minutes ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Bought the wife a car at AC and they added £25 for petrol onto the bill . When I asked them to remove it the lady said that it's a default setting on the computer and its added to every account and can't be removed without the managers permission . Cynical old me but is this a scam and has anybody else requested that it's deleted ? 

When I bought a car at AC they left me enough petrol to basically free-wheel into the Shell garage next door. Twas a few years ago now, but don't remember a £25 standard charge for petrol - if there was I'd have been fuming. Sounds like a scam! 

1 hour ago, kennysmassiveego said:

I don't think it's a scam, they should give you the receipt from the garage when they bought the petrol, at least they did with me.

15 minutes ago, boosarker said:

I don't think it's a scam, they should give you the receipt from the garage when they bought the petrol, at least they did with me.

My problem with that is how do you know that they put it in your car ? It's easy to get a receipt for petrol especially if they also own the petrol station.

Would you know if they put £15/20 or £25 in your tank ? 

Isn't a scam as such but they add it on and then expect u to pay for said petrol over the next 4/5 years with your Finance agreement therefore the £25 of petrol costs you a lot more. I got my car and told them I wanted it for free otherwise I wasn't buying the car, needless to say I wasn't charged

• 1 month later...

went to AC  Fiat parts  to get the rear view mirror plate for my daughters punto, the parts guy  said ' i dont know if they do them without the mirror never had somebody ask for one ' he was friendly enough but they should know everything about parts you would think' came out with  a diagram printed ' he said is it this part here ? i pointed to it and said  thats it, he looked a bit puzzled ?  but when i have to go to the local Honda dealer for my car they are so much more professional in their approach to customers.not that my Honda has needed much spare parts

Surely to f**k a mechanic can look at a timing belt and say if it needs replaced

You would have thought.  They asked something else as well, but I can't mind what it was.

I'm a bit late, but no mechanic worth their salt would simply look at a timing belt and advise you it's fine. You can take a cover off and tell by the writing on the belt if it's new, but 99% of failures in that area is down to the pulleys the belt runs on, and it's impossible to check them without removing the belt.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm a bit late, but no mechanic worth their salt would simply look at a timing belt and advise you it's fine. You can take a cover off and tell by the writing on the belt if it's new, but 99% of failures in that area is down to the pulleys the belt runs on, and it's impossible to check them without removing the belt.

Reminds me of a classic Mike Brewer line on Wheeler Dealers. A potential buyer asked him when the car was last serviced and he replied "You know what, I've given it a good look over it doesn't need serviced".

24 minutes ago, gruppenfuhrer said:

went to AC  Fiat parts  to get the rear view mirror plate for my daughters punto, the parts guy  said ' i dont know if they do them without the mirror never had somebody ask for one ' he was friendly enough but they should know everything about parts you would think' came out with  a diagram printed ' he said is it this part here ? i pointed to it and said  thats it, he looked a bit puzzled ?  but when i have to go to the local Honda dealer for my car they are so much more professional in their approach to customers.not that my Honda has needed much spare parts

If you knew what you needed why didn't you just order it online? You can't expect a mechanic to know about how every single part is sold. Honda are probably just better bullshitters.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Haven't a clue how you would see if a timebelt was done by just looking. My mate reckoned mine was probably done so volunteered to change it, which involved taking half the car apart. If anything the car got worse and I sold it to a scrappy.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If you knew what you needed why didn't you just order it online? You can't expect a mechanic to know about how every single part is sold. Honda are probably just better bullshitters.

Haven't a clue how you would see if a timebelt was done by just looking. My mate reckoned mine was probably done so volunteered to change it, which involved taking half the car apart. If anything the car got worse and I sold it to a scrappy.

coz AC did not respond to an email i sent i waited 4 days and no reply so went to the dealeship

17 hours ago, gruppenfuhrer said:

You too posh to go to a scrappy?

I hate the space saver wheel / type inflation scam with modern cars. To reduce weight and "improve" MPG / emissions, spare types with a new car are rarities nowadays. The tyre inflation kit is a piece is useless junk and if you are lucky enough to get it to work (think it works in about 5% of cases) then it ruins any chance of the old tyre being fixed.

anyway, not wanting to be caught with a flat, after a few months of owning my current car I rang ACs parts department asking for a quote on a proper spare tyre. I was quoted £430 + VAT :lol:

Needless to say a metal rim was obtained from some German tyre company online and the rubber duly fitted "off the books" by a guy at the local kwik fit for about £100.

AC have good deals or brand new / nearly new cars. For anything else forget them: totally doolally to go near the place for parts or servicing.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

It's a total myth that tyres cant be fixed after tyre sealant is used.  The main reason they tell you they cant be sorted is that the tyre fitter monkeys are too lazy to clean the tyre property. Plus it's a good excuse for them to sell more tyres obviously.