Arnold Clark Horror Stories

49 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anybody else had there car in for a service and had a video clip back of the mechanic going round the car explaining whats wrong? 

Didnt realise this was a thing now but a mate's missus (wid not) who is Hungarian received an email with some gadge mumbling his best Dundonian as to what needed done (as if looking at in on a video you were going to say "oh aye, your right, so it does").   He sent me a link to the clip as neither of them could understand a fucking word (sounds pissed) and to be quite honest, neither could I, even after having lived here for 27 years.

Yes. 

It must be the same guy I got yesterday.

"Tyurs doon ae aboot wun pint fev mull and needin chainjed."

Having a nightmare with Macklin Motors Ford in Glasgow. I’ve bought the Mrs a C-Max and once the deposit was cashed they started losing interest. I arranged to sign the paperwork in their Dunfermline branch as I was only home for the weekend and didn’t want to waste time. I waited over 30 minutes in a deserted showroom for someone to meet me in the waiting area and no one came. I walked out just as Glasgow rang and all manner of things were promised such as a full tank of fuel, guaranteed delivery to my house this Saturday etc etc. I received an email yesterday asking me to get in touch with my trade in finance company as apparently they won’t talk to a Ford Dealer and they can’t deliver on a Saturday. 

I have told the salesman and his manager that I’m only available at weekends for the next few weeks and not available during certain hours to take phone calls, needless to say they only phone during those hours and said that they will deliver to the house when they know I won’t be there to inspect it.

I’m very close to ripping up the deal as I have no confidence in them being of any use should something go wrong with the car.

Anyway, rant over!

Looking for some advice - my wee Swift has been struggling recently - the Malfunction Indicator Light came on recently, and what sounds like the fan belt is going off its tits on start up and idling, but not all the time. 
Anyone know of any decent garages in Aberdeen City Centre they'd recommend? Windows down and heating up didn't achieve anything. 

Try pitstop, they seem alright.

21 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anybody else had there car in for a service and had a video clip back of the mechanic going round the car explaining whats wrong? 

Didnt realise this was a thing now but a mate's missus (wid not) who is Hungarian received an email with some gadge mumbling his best Dundonian as to what needed done (as if looking at in on a video you were going to say "oh aye, your right, so it does").   He sent me a link to the clip as neither of them could understand a fucking word (sounds pissed) and to be quite honest, neither could I, even after having lived here for 27 years.

Yeah Peter Vardy seem to have started doing this in the last year or so. I tried watching it and couldn't understand or make out what was being said/going on.

Not AC, but I'd like to name and shame Kennedy Cars in Bargeddie. We got in touch with them through CarFinance247 (who were great). Went to see a Ford Ka they had, and the wife loved it. Took it for a test drive and the brakes needed done. So far, so good. They said they'd put in through an MOT and we could take it away. Just leave a £200 deposit and we're all good. 

I told him our finance was all arranged, and we had been clear - we were not paying a deposit. Only when we made to leave did Jabba the Hut relent on the £200. 

Went through its MOT, and the wife picked up the car. When she brought it home, I had a good look at it. 4 completely bald tyres. I phoned the guy up and his response was along the lines of a) my wife should have checked them when she left the showroom and b) how was he to know I hadn't switched out the tyres myself? I told him there was no way this car passed an MOT the previous day with these tyres on, but got nowhere.  I complained to the finance company, but there was nothing they could do.

My only recourse - naming and shaming via all outlets I can think of. £130 on new tyres the day after it passed its MOT. Thieves. 

17 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Not AC, but I'd like to name and shame Kennedy Cars in Bargeddie. We got in touch with them through CarFinance247 (who were great). Went to see a Ford Ka they had, and the wife loved it. Took it for a test drive and the brakes needed done. So far, so good. They said they'd put in through an MOT and we could take it away. Just leave a £200 deposit and we're all good. 

I told him our finance was all arranged, and we had been clear - we were not paying a deposit. Only when we made to leave did Jabba the Hut relent on the £200. 

Went through its MOT, and the wife picked up the car. When she brought it home, I had a good look at it. 4 completely bald tyres. I phoned the guy up and his response was along the lines of a) my wife should have checked them when she left the showroom and b) how was he to know I hadn't switched out the tyres myself? I told him there was no way this car passed an MOT the previous day with these tyres on, but got nowhere.  I complained to the finance company, but there was nothing they could do.

My only recourse - naming and shaming via all outlets I can think of. £130 on new tyres the day after it passed its MOT. Thieves. 

You could try this, sounds like fraud to me.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/complain-about-an-mot

P.S. Maybe not much use, after reading the form.

You can take your own action against an MOT test centre through Trading Standards,
personal legal proceedings or reporting the centre to the police. DVSA can’t help you take
action against a centre.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

I keep coming on this thread. Yet I don't drive.

That's all I have to add

Me too. The first part, because I want to add that you have to be a bit thick to go with Arnold Clark given the huge amount of negative stories about them and the almost universally bad reviews of them online (folk do research these sort of purchases before making them right?).

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

That's not your only recourse at all.

I would be taking them to court and/or rejecting the car.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Me too. The first part, because I want to add that you have to be a bit thick to go with Arnold Clark given the huge amount of negative stories about them and the almost universally bad reviews of them online (folk do research these sort of purchases before making them right?).

Not really though. I've bought 2 cars from them, and use them for most of my servicing, and never had an issue with them.

On 08/02/2018 at 17:08, welshbairn said:

My garage does it, a short video showing something grimy and dark under the car and demanding money.

On 07/02/2018 at 18:06, Jonathanmcginley said:

Was wondering if anyone can give me advice who have been in a similar situation. 

Got a 14 plate Volkswagen Golf from Arnold Clark last year only done 15,000 miles when purchased I’ve only done about an extra 5 since then. The car now won’t reverse due to problems with the gear box which is clearly a manufacturers fault. Arnold Clark taking no liability because I’m out with my 90 day warranty pish that u originally get and Volkswagen taking no liability because I’m out with the 3 years manaufactuers warranty (by a couple of months). So I’m being quoted £1500 to fix the car but they’ve take 30% off goodwill due to it having an up to date service within the year I’ve had it. I don’t see why I should stump up £1000 to fix a car I’ve had for a year and been serviced especially when I’m on PCP deal and the car will be handed back. Going to be seeking legal advice but not sure I’ve got a leg to stand on. Has anyone else faced a similar situation and took legal action against Arnold Clark?

UPDATE* 

After threatening Arnold Clark to take it further asking Volkswagen to file it to a case manager all of a sudden someone forgot to inform the retailer that I had bought an extended auto care warranty that funnily enough covers full cost of the gear box. Don’t believe that for a second as I’m sure if I did it would’ve flagged up a lot earlier but I’m not complaining. Just goes to show if you stick to your guns they will crumble under the pressure never just accept anything especially from they cowboys Arnold Clark. Started off at £1,500 then 30% off due to an up to date service and now fully covered for an “extended auto care warranty”.

a victory for the small guys.

3 minutes ago, Jonathanmcginley said:

UPDATE* 

After threatening Arnold Clark to take it further asking Volkswagen to file it to a case manager all of a sudden someone forgot to inform the retailer that I had bought an extended auto care warranty that funnily enough covers full cost of the gear box. Don’t believe that for a second as I’m sure if I did it would’ve flagged up a lot earlier but I’m not complaining. Just goes to show if you stick to your guns they will crumble under the pressure never just accept anything especially from they cowboys Arnold Clark. Started off at £1,500 then 30% off due to an up to date service and now fully covered for an “extended auto care warranty”.

a victory for the small guys.

Cheeky fucking c***s.

On 09/02/2018 at 13:58, scottsdad said:

If the tyres would fail an mot then the cars not fit for sale, and you'll get your money back. Get an independent to verify the tyres are illegal. 

Every sales garage has to abide by the same rules, if the car is "not fit for purpose" within thirty days of the sale, the garage has once chance to rectify the issue, without you paying a penny, or they have to fully refund you. 

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If the tyres would fail an mot then the cars not fit for sale, and you'll get your money back. Get an independent to verify the tyres are illegal. 

Every sales garage has to abide by the same rules, if the car is "not fit for purpose" within thirty days of the sale, the garage has once chance to rectify the issue, without you paying a penny, or they have to fully refund you. 

What's to stop you buying a car, doing donuts in a car-park for 29 days, then taking it back saying the tyres aren't fit for purpose?

On 09/02/2018 at 13:58, scottsdad said:

Or you could go on Judge Rinder and blacken his name on TV.

Sounds like a right Arthur Daley tbf.

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

What's to stop you buying a car, doing donuts in a car-park for 29 days, then taking it back saying the tyres aren't fit for purpose?

Well, nothing. Burnout wear is a lot different to general wear though, so it wouldn't be overly hard to prove you're lying. 

• 2 months later...

I purchased my car from Arnold Clark branch, Dunfermline in 2015, with the car I purchased a service plan and had the car serviced at Arnold Clark Sighthill in 2016.

In March of this year I checked my cars MOT history on the DVLA website as I was looking to sell the car, the millage was recorded as 61,846 instead of 6,501. This was a shock and we therefor called on the 27th of April to speak to the servicing dept at Sighthill and spoke to ---- she looked into our record and could see that this was your job number that had been entered instead of my mileage. She then said she would sort it out at her end.

---- called back and said it couldn’t be sorted out by Arnold Clark that I would have to speak to DVLA, I then called them and they said they required evidence, I then called O---- back who said she’d send it straight away (the job sheets etc), she was helpful and apologetic.

Having received nothing that day, I called back on the Monday, she had forgotten to send the information and then proceeded to do that.

I called the DVLA on Monday the 30th of April and they informed me that the process could take up to 3 months before they would consider the evidence.

I called Arnold Clark Sighthill on the 30th of April several times and managed to talk to J---- the General Manager, he said he’d look into it and call me back straight away, he sounded shocked. He asked me to send the email to him with the evidence that came from the service.

I called Arnold Clark Sighthill on the 31st of April as J---- hadn’t returned my call.  I left my name.

I called Arnold Clark Sighthill on the 1st of May as J----- hadn’t returned my call. I left my name.

I called Arnold Clark Sighthill on the 2nd of May as J----- hadn’t returned my call. I left my name.

I called Arnold Clark Sighthill on the 3rd of May as J----- hadn’t returned my call. I left my name.

I called Arnold Clark Sighthill on the 4th of May as J------ hadn’t returned my call, I got through to him and the phone immediately was hung up on me.

I called Arnold Clark Complaints Department immediately after at Glasgow, my complaint was recorded and I was told that Jason would call me the beginning of the following week to discuss what could be done to compensate for the loss and issues with Customer Service.

I then received a message on the 8th of May on my phone (I was with a customer at the time so couldn’t answer) which stated as they had tried to contact me they were sending a letter.

I received a letter a few days later dated the 8th of May stating all the information I already knew plus this paragraph “The matter will be resolve and the error shouldn’t contribute to the depreciation in value of the vehicle” in addition to a scant apology.

This is the reason that apology is far from acceptable.

On the 26th of May I went into the Arnold Clark website to start the process of selling the car looking for an indication of value, it came up as £5,278.00 at 7,653 (genuine mileage) today the 15th of May we went into the same website the car is showing as £4,775 based on the same mileage, so due to the delay of 3 weeks it has lost £500.00, so in 3 months there will be a substantial loss.

Every step of the way regarding this matter, your letter is insulting, this issue has been mishandled.

The lack of response from your General Manager.

The lack of real interest in a matter that has been caused by you (ok human error is forgivable but not the following Customer Service).

I have done nothing other than buy a car from you and a service plan, I have another car that I purchased from you the same year. I am disgusted at the lack of interest and effort to sort this situation out and for that reason I want my complaint to be accelerated up the management system.

Apparently there is no acceleration of complaints unless you go to a lawyer and they couldn't see what was wrong, it was just a mistake and they don't compensate for mistakes they make!!!!!!!!

Edited by Trish