Arnold Clark Horror Stories

Looking for some advice - my wee Swift has been struggling recently - the Malfunction Indicator Light came on recently, and what sounds like the fan belt is going off its tits on start up and idling, but not all the time. 

Anyone know of any decent garages in Aberdeen City Centre they'd recommend? Windows down and heating up didn't achieve anything. 

Clio.  The spare is stowed underneath the car using a winch.
f**k, that brings back wondrous memories of fucking about with a rusted solid spare wheel cradle on my old 205Gti. Not to mention having to virtually lift out the engine to change the timing belt, and shell out 750 quid for a new rear axle kit [emoji38]

Was wondering if anyone can give me advice who have been in a similar situation. 

Got a 14 plate Volkswagen Golf from Arnold Clark last year only done 15,000 miles when purchased I’ve only done about an extra 5 since then. The car now won’t reverse due to problems with the gear box which is clearly a manufacturers fault. Arnold Clark taking no liability because I’m out with my 90 day warranty pish that u originally get and Volkswagen taking no liability because I’m out with the 3 years manaufactuers warranty (by a couple of months). So I’m being quoted £1500 to fix the car but they’ve take 30% off goodwill due to it having an up to date service within the year I’ve had it. I don’t see why I should stump up £1000 to fix a car I’ve had for a year and been serviced especially when I’m on PCP deal and the car will be handed back. Going to be seeking legal advice but not sure I’ve got a leg to stand on. Has anyone else faced a similar situation and took legal action against Arnold Clark?

20 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

f**k, that brings back wondrous memories of fucking about with a rusted solid spare wheel cradle on my old 205Gti. Not to mention having to virtually lift out the engine to change the timing belt, and shell out 750 quid for a new rear axle kit emoji38.png

If I ever win the lottery then I'm buying a properly restored 205 gti.

1.9 version. None of your 1.6 nonsense.

53 minutes ago, Jonathanmcginley said:

Was wondering if anyone can give me advice who have been in a similar situation. 

Got a 14 plate Volkswagen Golf from Arnold Clark last year only done 15,000 miles when purchased I’ve only done about an extra 5 since then. The car now won’t reverse due to problems with the gear box which is clearly a manufacturers fault. Arnold Clark taking no liability because I’m out with my 90 day warranty pish that u originally get and Volkswagen taking no liability because I’m out with the 3 years manaufactuers warranty (by a couple of months). So I’m being quoted £1500 to fix the car but they’ve take 30% off goodwill due to it having an up to date service within the year I’ve had it. I don’t see why I should stump up £1000 to fix a car I’ve had for a year and been serviced especially when I’m on PCP deal and the car will be handed back. Going to be seeking legal advice but not sure I’ve got a leg to stand on. Has anyone else faced a similar situation and took legal action against Arnold Clark?

90 day warranty is misleading.

Goods should be of a reasonable quality and last for a reasonable length of time without defect. Time periods don't prevent your ability to seek redress but do change where the burden of proof falls.

Essentially you'd need to prove that the gear box on your almost 4 year old car was of inadequate quality when AC sold the car to you. The burden falls on you to prove as a reasonable period of time for the fault to develop has elapsed. You may be better contacting VW and asking them whether they know of any similar problems with models built in your year/time period? If they don't then you're probably onto plums unless you can discharge the burden of proof and establish that the gearbox was faulty.

Several months down the line is the biggest barrier rather than the 90 day warranty period. Nothing in law allows AC to limit it to 90 days if it can be demonstrated that a product was faulty when sold.

32 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Goods should be of a reasonable quality and last for a reasonable length of time without defect. Time periods don't prevent your ability to seek redress but do change where the burden of proof falls.

Essentially you'd need to prove that the gear box on your almost 4 year old car was of inadequate quality when AC sold the car to you. The burden falls on you to prove as a reasonable period of time for the fault to develop has elapsed. You may be better contacting VW and asking them whether they know of any similar problems with models built in your year/time period? If they don't then you're probably onto plums unless you can discharge the burden of proof and establish that the gearbox was faulty.

Several months down the line is the biggest barrier rather than the 90 day warranty period. Nothing in law allows AC to limit it to 90 days if it can be demonstrated that a product was faulty when sold.

Sort of right.

The important caveat is reasonable quality taking into account age and mileage.

If I sell you a 15 year old car with 200K on it then reasonable quality might mean it lasts a month

Also:

If you have had the car less than 6 months the dealer must demonstrate the fault was not there at time of purchase. If it is after 6 months you must demonstrate that it was.

For future reference you can almost always negotiate a 1 year warranty before you walk off forecourt. 

Also if you are out of warranty you don't have to get AC to do the work. If they are willing to do it for a grand you can probably get it done for 500 at a local.

Edited by invergowrie arab

If I ever win the lottery then I'm buying a properly restored 205 gti.
1.9 version. None of your 1.6 nonsense.
They were ridiculous cars [emoji38]

I had five from around 1997 to 2006. Three 1.9s and two 1.6s. I found you could throw the 1.6s around corners better, though the 1.9s acceleration was spaff-inducing, a big engine in a car which weighed about the same as a box of paper tissues.

Glorious.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I’ve had a look online and seen that 13 plate golfs were recalled due to faulty gear boxes that caused loss of power. I know this isn’t my issues as mines is due to a gear box issue with reverse but would it be worth referencing as it shows they’ve had clear issues with golf gear boxes around that time? Going to have a tough task proving that I am not at fault for this.

Sort of right.
The important caveat is reasonable quality taking into account age and mileage.
If I sell you a 15 year old car with 200K on it then reasonable quality might mean it lasts a month
Also:
If you have had the car less than 6 months the dealer must demonstrate the fault was not there at time of purchase. If it is after 6 months you must demonstrate that it was.
For future reference you can almost always negotiate a 1 year warranty before you walk off forecourt. 
Also if you are out of warranty you don't have to get AC to do the work. If they are willing to do it for a grand you can probably get it done for 500 at a local.
This.

^^^ all of the above is absolutely correct. But it’ll cost you 12 months of no transport at several thousand pounds of extra cost to eventually make them pay up the cost of the original repair. And you’re all down on the deal.

It’s a used car and out of everybody’s warranty. You want top level quality? Buy new. You want to take a chance, buy used.

You chose used, you got an unexpected bill.

They didn’t deliberately sell you a duffer - you both got unlucky, it happens - just a case of suck it up and move on. Sorry.

I bought a 3 yr old ex motability with 66k on it from ac. Developed gearbox fault about 6 weeks later.

Took advice from citizens advice and rejected the car formally back to ac.

After a bit of time we forced them to do the fault finding on it to diagnose gearbox bearings had failed. Agreed then to split the bill 50/50.

My share was still about £600 and it took about 6 weeks without a car to sort out.

As said, you're entitled to reasonable use from whatever you buy depending on its age, condition and value when you buy it.

Contact citizens advice would be my advice.

13 hours ago, Jonathanmcginley said:

You've got no chance of not having to pay a penny. 

Worth noting there's a company in Glasgow called J C Transmissions, who are absolutely brilliant at repairing gearboxes. Find an independent, or do it yourself, to take the gearbox out and take it down to them, if you've booked a slot with them you have it back within an hour, or they'll sell you a new box cheaper than anywhere else. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You've got no chance of not having to pay a penny. 

Worth noting there's a company in Glasgow called J C Transmissions, who are absolutely brilliant at repairing gearboxes. Find an independent, or do it yourself, to take the gearbox out and take it down to them, if you've booked a slot with them you have it back within an hour, or they'll sell you a new box cheaper than anywhere else. 

Aye I will go independent eventually cheers for the recommendation but I want to pester Arnold Clark and just be a general nuisance take it as far as I can go because I feel like they just see customers as door mats that they can walk all over. The customer service is atrocious and speak to you as if you’re 6 years old.

4 minutes ago, Jonathanmcginley said:

Aye I will go independent eventually cheers for the recommendation but I want to pester Arnold Clark and just be a general nuisance take it as far as I can go because I feel like they just see customers as door mats that they can walk all over. The customer service is atrocious and speak to you as if you’re 6 years old.

You have to wonder why they only offered a 90 day warranty on a 3 year old car with 15,000 on the clock. 

38 minutes ago, Jonathanmcginley said:

Aye annoy the b*****ds as much as you can, they wouldn't be shy in pestering you. 

My sister bought an Audi from Arnold Clark last July, in October she took it back I’m concerned her clutch was giving way. They “looked” at it and told her it was fine.

In December it broke down, an independent garage said the clutch has been broken since it left the store, and think it’s been like that for a while, she called to complain about it. There response was an apology and a £30 compensation voucher towards her next service with them.

17 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

They were ridiculous cars emoji38.png

I had five from around 1997 to 2006. Three 1.9s and two 1.6s. I found you could throw the 1.6s around corners better, though the 1.9s acceleration was spaff-inducing, a big engine in a car which weighed about the same as a box of paper tissues.

Glorious.

Weren't they just fantastic hot hatches though. The scariest thing about them was taking a corner at speed and to not ever lift off the accelerator or you were a gonner.

They loved being pushed and pushed.

I had both and the 1.9 was the one to go for. I remember someone was kicking about in a 205gti with the Mi16 engine (think it was the 2.0 16v from a 405??)) installed. Mental. 

Cousin had a golf gti mk2 and would never have swapped it.

Edited by stu20vt

Weren't they just fantastic hot hatches though. The scariest thing about them was taking a corner at speed and to not ever lift off the accelerator or you were a gonner.
They loved being pushed and pushed.
I had both and the 1.9 was the one to go for. I remember someone was kicking about in a 205gti with the Mi16 engine (think it was the 2.0 16v from a 405??)) installed. Mental. 
Cousin had a golf gti mk2 and would never have swapped it.
The mi16 had glorious top end, but the 1.9gti pished all over it up until about 95mph. I raced a couple at Crail quarter mile drag. They could only pass about 80% of the way up the strip.

205s were shite in the wet. I wrote my first one off on a dodgy corner outside Kirriemuir [emoji38]

Anybody else had there car in for a service and had a video clip back of the mechanic going round the car explaining whats wrong? 

Didnt realise this was a thing now but a mate's missus (wid not) who is Hungarian received an email with some gadge mumbling his best Dundonian as to what needed done (as if looking at in on a video you were going to say "oh aye, your right, so it does").   He sent me a link to the clip as neither of them could understand a fucking word (sounds pissed) and to be quite honest, neither could I, even after having lived here for 27 years.

34 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anybody else had there car in for a service and had a video clip back of the mechanic going round the car explaining whats wrong? 

Didnt realise this was a thing now but a mate's missus (wid not) who is Hungarian received an email with some gadge mumbling his best Dundonian as to what needed done (as if looking at in on a video you were going to say "oh aye, your right, so it does").   He sent me a link to the clip as neither of them could understand a fucking word (sounds pissed) and to be quite honest, neither could I, even after having lived here for 27 years.

My garage does it, a short video showing something grimy and dark under the car and demanding money.