Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

I went to my first ever ice hockey game, in fact my first ever visit to an ice rink, tonight, to see Dundee Stars v Edinburgh Capitals.

Before I go on, it is worth pointing out that I know nothing about ice hockey, but it was on my 13 for 13 (in my case 43 for 13) in Gen Nonsense, and I like expanding my horizons.

I really enjoyed it, things I took away from it were;

It was a lot easier to follow the puck than I thought it would be

These guys are super fit

They are also brilliant skaters

The goaltenders are very talented

The matchday experience is better than any football in this country, it is treated as an event rather than a fixture

You can have a social beer whilst watching the game

There is a great deal of respect at the end of the game, with the MotM awards and the players thanking the crowd

You don't see anyone dive or plead with the referee for a foul

Each team has a guy with a drum

I will probably be back for the occasional game.

I went to my first ever ice hockey game, in fact my first ever visit to an ice rink, tonight, to see Dundee Stars v Edinburgh Capitals.

Before I go on, it is worth pointing out that I know nothing about ice hockey, but it was on my 13 for 13 (in my case 43 for 13) in Gen Nonsense, and I like expanding my horizons.

I really enjoyed it, things I took away from it were;

It was a lot easier to follow the puck than I thought it would be

These guys are super fit

They are also brilliant skaters

The goaltenders are very talented

The matchday experience is better than any football in this country, it is treated as an event rather than a fixture

You can have a social beer whilst watching the game

There is a great deal of respect at the end of the game, with the MotM awards and the players thanking the crowd

You don't see anyone dive or plead with the referee for a foul

Each team has a guy with a drum

Said pretty much the same thing to my mate last night. The last hockey game i was at was a Paisley pirates one, it has certainly came a long way since then. At Braehead last night the game was delayed due to a problem with the flexi glass, the time was filled by the announcer and mascot keeping the crowd entertained. The atmosphere was very competitive but friendly at the same time.

Pity the Clan lost 4-3 in OT but i'll be back next week for the Dundee game.

Said pretty much the same thing to my mate last night. The last hockey game i was at was a Paisley pirates one, it has certainly came a long way since then. At Braehead last night the game was delayed due to a problem with the flexi glass, the time was filled by the announcer and mascot keeping the crowd entertained. The atmosphere was very competitive but friendly at the same time.

Pity the Clan lost 4-3 in OT but i'll be back next week for the Dundee game.

Should be better next week in terms of performance as Braehead have signed one new player today and there should be a couple more before the weekend. No more Drew Miller any more sadly but as far as our season goes it should get better from here on in. Winning at Fife last night with 11 skaters was a great effort and one I didn't expect after the game the night before. Nice to see things so competitive in the Gardner conference, there's no games this season where a win looks to be all but guaranteed. Even in the games with the other conference teams there's been a fair number of upsets and most have remained competitive despite the big leap in quality some of those teams have made this season. Glad I stuck money on Nottingham winning the league at the start of the season with the way things are going right now!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I wasn't at the match but all the reports I've heard from people was that it was one of the worst, dullest games of the season, and completely lacking in atmosphere. So if you still had a good time then that's a very good sign.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I wasn't at the match but all the reports I've heard from people was that it was one of the worst, dullest games of the season, and completely lacking in atmosphere. So if you still had a good time then that's a very good sign.

Bear in mind I've just spent 5 years watching English non-league football with average crowds of 150, a Tuesday morning in a Wetherspoons has more atmosphere than I'm used to.

Should be better next week in terms of performance as Braehead have signed one new player today and there should be a couple more before the weekend. No more Drew Miller any more sadly but as far as our season goes it should get better from here on in. Winning at Fife last night with 11 skaters was a great effort and one I didn't expect after the game the night before. Nice to see things so competitive in the Gardner conference, there's no games this season where a win looks to be all but guaranteed. Even in the games with the other conference teams there's been a fair number of upsets and most have remained competitive despite the big leap in quality some of those teams have made this season. Glad I stuck money on Nottingham winning the league at the start of the season with the way things are going right now!

We lost 4-3 in Over Time again! The new keeper looked horrendous and Galbraith is no Miller. Credit to Dundee Stars and their travelling support though, they fair enjoyed their over time winner, i thought we were going to see an ice invasion at one point :D.

Home to bottom of the league Hull next Saturday, we'll surely beat them? .... :unsure:

We lost 4-3 in Over Time again! The new keeper looked horrendous and Galbraith is no Miller. Credit to Dundee Stars and their travelling support though, they fair enjoyed their over time winner, i thought we were going to see an ice invasion at one point :D.

Home to bottom of the league Hull next Saturday, we'll surely beat them? .... :unsure:

Couldn't make the game thankfully but it really is a terrible run of form we're on right now. Our record in overtime is terrible too which is a shame because if we take teams to shootouts I'd fancy our chances every time. I'm willing to give the keeper a couple of weeks to adjust. As far as I'm aware he hasn't actually been playing recently but instead coaching so there's every chance he needs time to get back to match sharpness. He's played a ton of AHL games so there's got to be quality in there. However if we don't sign a couple of more players this week we may as well write this season off.

To be fair, the new clan keeper needs to time to adjust to the league. The abuse zemlak got was woeful. And slated on TV by yer own coach? No need.

One thing I think is different about hockey to football is how open the coaches are in regards to their players and team as a whole. Watching the interviews with the Fife coaches after we beat them the other week and they got stuck in about how bad they were. Making it personal to Zemlak was tough on him but I think Krestanovich might have thought it'd motivate him to do better as he seems a very determined character. Nevertheless judging from his tweets it looks as if he has a new team all ready so it's probably best he's gone for everyone involved.

Wonder how long it'll be before fans will start giving Krestanovich stick for the players he's signed this season?

Krestanovich is offski!

Big changes at the Clan this afternoon!

Paul Gardner, former NHL player and assistant coach of the Nashville Predators has been appointed as the new coach, and seemingly Krestanovich has decided to leave the club as a result of this (however I have no doubt that there was still a place for him as a player if he wanted to stay).

Is assistant at an NHL club to coach the Clan not a step down?

Well, last season he was coaching in the CHL, which is still a step down. He was a head coach in the AHL from '86-'90, then an assistant in the AHL from '92-'97 and from '98-'03 he was the assistant at Nashville. So he took quite a long break before returning last year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going to head along to watch Capitals v Giants game tonight. Not been to a hockey game in the UK since Tayside Tigers were on the go. Been meaning to get back into watching hockey in UK for a while but never got round to it.

Just back from Capitals v Giants. Really good game with Capitals winning 3-2. Good atmosphere and exciting game to watch. Pity the seasons almost over. Will definately be attending more games next season.

• 2 weeks later...