Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

Think I'm gonna head along to Paisley Pirates v North Ayrshire Wild on Sunday at Braehead, as the wife and I have been missing the hockey, but can't justify Clan prices for the quality on show this season.
Anyone been to a Pirates game? Is it weird with the arena being mostly empty?

I follow Paisley fairly closely. The atmosphere is definitely different with it being relatively empty. Still get reasonable crowds for an amateur operation though, usually about 500 I'd estimate but obviously gets lost a bit in a big arena.

I don't think that will be much of a match though, game earlier this year was shooty-in for Paisley. Still, its hockey and there will be some good young players on show.

Not sure where you are but Kilmarnock Storm playing Dundee Comets on Saturday night. A different world from Braehead but usually entertaining...

15 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/local-sport/ludicrous-to-ban-me-for-15-games-lynxs-ross/

For a league where teams sometimes don't have one game for a few weeks, 15 games is a long time

10 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

MK player gets a 20 game ban for punching a fan - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/42894486

It was only 14 games for punching a fan, six were for abuse of an official. I remember Tony Hand punching a fan around 2003, the police were involved but no ban if I recall correctly.

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Vorobyev has left Caps. Just about the only decent player they had. 

Hats off to those fans I couldn't do it.

Kolesnikovs gone too, think both to Krakow and to be honest it's hard to blame them.

I was actually planning to take in the Stars v Caps game after the Forfar match, not sure I could stomach the prospect of a double digit loss (for Caps not Airdrie!) now.

On 02/02/2018 at 15:42, Caro-Kann said:

Kolesnikovs gone too, think both to Krakow and to be honest it's hard to blame them.

I was actually planning to take in the Stars v Caps game after the Forfar match, not sure I could stomach the prospect of a double digit loss (for Caps not Airdrie!) now.

It turned out to be a lot closer than pretty much anyone had thought. Caps still have some decent players left who could get jobs on other EIHL teams (Cazzola, Anderson, Beskorowany) but depth is non-existent.
Krakow pay big wages over twelve months so it's really a no brainer for them to make the switch. Even if the Caps were a competently run, mid-table team they would have gone. That still doesn't invalidate the fact that Scott Neil has finally run the club into the ground and there must be a good chance this will be their final season.

That still doesn't invalidate the fact that Scott Neil has finally run the club into the ground and there must be a good chance this will be their final season.

Think it's pretty disgusting the way he's treated the supporters. Not had a penny off me since their nonexistent "statement" about the change of holding companies.

Looks like he's bleeding the band of diehards dry before scuttling the team at the end of the season. Would never want to see a team disappear, but it's hard to watch this season after season.

2 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

Think it's pretty disgusting the way he's treated the supporters. 

It really is. I don't think it's malicious though, I think it's a combination of him being really bad at his job and him having no awareness of the reasons fans are fed up with him. Players have been treated badly at the Caps since the team began, there's little wonder so many have quit over the years. You could probably get away with a lot of that sort of stuff in his playing days, but both professional sport and British ice hockey are completely different beasts these days.

It really is. I don't think it's malicious though, I think it's a combination of him being really bad at his job and him having no awareness of the reasons fans are fed up with him. Players have been treated badly at the Caps since the team began, there's little wonder so many have quit over the years. You could probably get away with a lot of that sort of stuff in his playing days, but both professional sport and British ice hockey are completely different beasts these days.

Suspect you're probably right, it just seems any communication has dried up altogether whereas there may have been a token effort in previous seasons.

Have heard about players being paid from fruit machines amongst other horror stories, not going to cut it in an ever increasingly professional setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to my first couple of Clan matches at the weekend there, very enjoyable and will be a regular as it's something different and fairly local to me. On Friday against Fife they were by far the better team, really impressed with Stockton I think his name was, and the captain Heelis. On Saturday Clan were the better team, but the defence was all over the joint, if it wasn't for Nie it would've been more. Is it normal for the team to go 6 outfield when getting beat? 

4 hours ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

Went to my first couple of Clan matches at the weekend there, very enjoyable and will be a regular as it's something different and fairly local to me. On Friday against Fife they were by far the better team, really impressed with Stockton I think his name was, and the captain Heelis. On Saturday Clan were the better team, but the defence was all over the joint, if it wasn't for Nie it would've been more. Is it normal for the team to go 6 outfield when getting beat? 

Yes, it's referred to as Pulling the goalie. Usually happens if a team are 1 or 2 goals down in the last few minutes. If there is a delayed penalty (referee calls a penalty on one team and the other team still has control of the puck, like playing advantage in football) they will usually pull the goalie for another player too  

• 2 weeks later...

I broke my self imposed Edinburgh Capitals exile as the Paisley v Kirkcaldy game was off.

Fucking hell it was grim, a crowd of less than 400 with at least 120 of those being there to see Dundee. Suspect that will be the last I see of Caps in the Elite League. It was a shockingly bad game in terms of quality and terrible value at £18. 

They'll probably be finished at the end of the season and there still hasn't been a peep from whoever it actually is that owns the club these days. They've treated their fans disgustingly. If a football club was run like that for 15 years someone would have been lynched. 

58 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

Suspect that will be the last I see of Caps in the Elite League.

There's rumblings of a takeover attempt, if that comes off they could be back for next year. It's surely the end of Scott Neil running an EIHL club though, he's made a complete arse of things over the last ten years.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

There's rumblings of a takeover attempt, if that comes off they could be back for next year. It's surely the end of Scott Neil running an EIHL club though, he's made a complete arse of things over the last ten years.

It probably suits the league to have Edinburgh about and it's a place with great potential a la Braehead Clan. It would be great if there was some kind of takeover by someone with a bit of a business noggin, that rules out any of Scott Neil's mates.

On 05/03/2018 at 08:34, gavin_3110 said:

I broke my self imposed Edinburgh Capitals exile as the Paisley v Kirkcaldy game was off.

Fucking hell it was grim, a crowd of less than 400 with at least 120 of those being there to see Dundee. Suspect that will be the last I see of Caps in the Elite League. It was a shockingly bad game in terms of quality and terrible value at £18. 

They'll probably be finished at the end of the season and there still hasn't been a peep from whoever it actually is that owns the club these days. They've treated their fans disgustingly. If a football club was run like that for 15 years someone would have been lynched. 

I don't believe for a second the crowd was even that high. I counted 140 Edinburgh fans and we didn't have that many probably.

Occurred to me in the third it might be last game I go to at that rink. Shame as I really do want all the Scottish teams to do well (well, I'm happy for clan to exist)

Huge playoff weekend for Stars, still in it with an away win at Nottingham.

On paper all 3 games this weekend are winnable, especially if Fife might be missing bloodoff and isles. Actually winning three is tough though.