Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

Dundee came out flying tonight and played it at a good tempo from start to finish.

Braehead came out and played like it was another end of season dead rubber.

Zaj seems to be getting a lot of praise tonight for keeping the score down... i felt he was at fault for 2 and he was giving up all sorts of tasty rebounds. Thought he was/is poor. Need better next season.

Unfortunately i think thats game over. We may well score 3 tomorrow but theres no way we won't concede.

Stars came out hot as they had to, had to get something to hold on to at Braehead. Unfortunately we made it easy for them with very little forecheck and almost non existent passing ability.

Goal 1 was typical of the season where Wharton (I'm pretty sure) was found far too high up the ice and left us exposed at the back for the quick breal. Goal 2 is a blur but was a classic Clan giveaway in under 1 minute left in a period. For goal 3, Rosehill hung us out to dry by first of all losing control behind the net and then regaining it and poking it right out in front to Stars most dangerous player. Suicide.

Offensively we were so poor, nothing clicked and Peacock was about the only one I'd give passmarks to.

It was a well officiated game I felt, plenty of needle but didn't overspill although I get the feeling that if tough guy Cescon wants to remove his motorcycle helmet tomorrow when he's acting the big man he'll find a few willing combatants. There's not one player in the league I'd love to see get a sore face above Joey Sides too. Deserves a 2 minute to start every game for that tash alone.

Big first period tomorrow, Clan start hot as they can do it's game on, Stars score and it's good night and thanks for playing.

Do you think the Clan coach will survive that result? They certainly seem to be big game bottlers.

He shouldn't. He shouldn't have survived last season, never mind this season.

But I suspect he will. Our owner isn't bothered and i don't rate our GM to make the decision.

Finnerty should be told tomorrow that his contract will not be renewed. We should be looking for a new coach tomorrow morning, starting with Gerad Adams as our first candidate.

Wooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saved best two games of year for this weekend, absolutely superb.

Surprised that game started all up in Clan zone until the sides penalty, Stars looked like the team who wanted to put the game away early.

Thought Stars played it just right, no sitting back and defending, go for the decisive goal. Once the first went in you felt that was it, Clan looked like a beaten team and so it showed.

Hilarious Fallon taking an illegal equipmet penalty with the same glove he has been wearing for 60 games, maybe all our games should be null and void.

Onto Nottingham next weekend, Unfortunately only have semi tickets, suspect that is all i will need but you never know.

Absolutely loved that weekend. Pumped Clan both nights and could have been much much more. Honestly think if Stars didn't hit a dreadful run of injuries over Christmas and New Year they would have won the conference. That's the 3rd time this season we have went to Braehead and comprehensively pumped them. 

Thought finnerty was lucky to survive last year. The regression from 14/15 to 15/16 was stark. Clan only won the conference on tie breaks last year.

His playoff/knockout record against all manner of opposition is horrible.

I'm not gloating though. Horrible feeling le Febvre will be in the frame.

Last night was the worst I've witnessed Clan play, Dundee cruised all the way through it and never really needed to up their game. Dump and chase all night from Clan playing into the corners. Could play another 120 minutes and still not score. Le Febvre was right in his post match interview, it wasn't hard to break the system Finners employs. It has been the same for weeks, losing Hammond was a massive blow as he atleast brought something slightly different and his line was very dynamic.

There are some good players in that team yet they have been undone by a coach unwilling to change his system and rank rotten D men.
Dundee very much looked a team that wanted it and you would have thought they were the team needing to chase goals. Would love to see what Le Febvre could do with a bigger budget but unfortunately don't think it'll be him. 

One thing that has been glaringly obvious this year is the physicality that Braehead are lacking, Dundee totally bullied them last night without being dirty, which has been a regular theme this year.

Hope Dundee push on now and win the playoffs, would be massive for them as it would any of the Scottish teams. 

On 03/04/2017 at 18:55, invergowrie arab said:

Thought finnerty was lucky to survive last year. The regression from 14/15 to 15/16 was stark. Clan only won the conference on tie breaks last year.

His playoff/knockout record against all manner of opposition is horrible.

I'm not gloating though. Horrible feeling le Febvre will be in the frame.

Over the course of the 4 years we had 1 very good season.

First year? We didnt win the conference but somehow managed to make the finals weekend after disposing of Nottingham.

2nd year? 1 point away from winning the regular season title. 1 point. League titles are won over the course of an entire season but its difficult not to look at the game away to Edinburgh with barely a fortnight left of the season where we were 0 goals from 10 powerplays. We lost that game 2-1. No one game lost us the title that season, but that one is the obvious candidate. We consoled ourselves with the conference title and a quarter final against Hull. The Stingrays beat us over the 2 legs. They went bust that summer.

3rd year? Started well enough. Mishandled the career of a solid young British talent. Made comments in public that should have been kept in the dressing room. Lost control of the goaltender's public comments. Allowed dressing room problems to play out in public and any title bid all out collapsed with the injuries to Pitt and Keith. Traded Bruton for a well past his best Neil Trimm and watched as the so called dressing room cancer made it to the play-off finals weekend whilst the Clan again surrendered the seeding benefit with a quarter final loss to Fife.

Season just gone? Woeful from start to finish.

His record in the Challenge Cup is also piss poor.

Finnerty should have been gone last summer. The club gave him another year despite the mess that was 15/16. It was a season he didnt really deserve and one that ultimately sealed his fate.

14 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

League titles are won over the course of an entire season but its difficult not to look at the game away to Edinburgh with barely a fortnight left of the season where we were 0 goals from 10 powerplays. We lost that game 2-1. No one game lost us the title that season, but that one is the obvious candidate.

Under Finners the powerplays have always been pretty static and looked more of a hindrance than a help. Hopefully the next coach will instill a bit of energy to them like you see from Sheffield, Nottingham, even Fife look alot sharper on it. 

Play off semis today Im watching Dundee v cardiff webcast its a tenner bit pricier than normal games but its big occasion.Not sure if I will bother with 2nd semi or not. The final is live on BBC tomorrow on their website and app so dunno if that means via red button or what. All 3 games will be on 5 live extra to listen to.  Good luck stars in process of moving up to Dundee so will likely be a regular next season. 

Matt Keith confirms he won't be back in Braehead next season. New coach, new captain... should i be excited or nervous?

Depending on how soon a new head coach is sorted I'd stick with excited. If we're into the middle of June and there is now movement, I'd be worried.