Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

I've never understood why folk call Murrayfield cold, especially football fans. In terms of climate I'd take indoor Murrayfield over Fir Park eight times out of ten throughout the season.

I curl so spend a lot of time in rinks and have been to all scottish EIHL rinks and the coldness of Edinburgh is extreme. Difference from the fitba is the fact you can generally stand up and move about more than at the hockey.

I like Edinburgh (probably second only to the DIA) but at the last Edinburgh game I went outside during a period break to heat up.

Going to see Clan is a 3000 sell out in an ultra modern rink. Caps will be 800 in a dilapidated freezing old warehouse.
I actually quite like the old style charm of Edinburgh but I can't imagine they get many new customers coming back who aren't already hockey fans.

I think if Edinburgh were able to rip out those old seats and modernise the spectator facilities it would go a long way to improving return visitors - the old seats, some with missing backs, others patched up with duct tape, are a pain.

As I understand it they can't be removed or replaced as part of the rink being listed?

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

I think if Edinburgh were able to rip out those old seats and modernise the spectator facilities it would go a long way to improving return visitors - the old seats, some with missing backs, others patched up with duct tape, are a pain.

As I understand it they can't be removed or replaced as part of the rink being listed?

The main problem with the seats at Murrayfield is how narrow the rows are. I heard that a few years ago Sheffield arena were replacing their seats and offered the old ones to MIR free of charge. Unfortunately after sending up a sample they were found to be too large to fit. 

4 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

I like Edinburgh (probably second only to the DIA) but at the last Edinburgh game I went outside during a period break to heat up.

I like the DIA but prefer Murrayfield for the stovies and the lighting. The DIA is far too bright for my tastes, I kind of get the feeling I'm in some hermetically sealed Intel factory. Whitley Bay has the perfect lighting: dark in the stands, bright on the ice.

On 24/02/2017 at 18:18, #Gary said:

Guildford Flames to join the elite league next season

Assuming that will mean Belfast joining our conference and the two new teams joining the other. 

Probably although seems to be a wee rumour Steelers and giants to Gardiner and storm to erdhart. Can't see it being though. They V won't split Steelers and panthers

I hadn't been to a hockey game for years, since the Eagles played at Braehead in their dying days with a mate of mine who has played at a good standard. Got a couple of tickets off him the other week and went to a Clan game. It is a not bad game itself to watch, I fucking hate the circus around it though. Constant music, a PA who won't shut up, a sponsor for everything, the fake manufactured atmosphere with the drum. Nae needle at all. I suppose its appealing to middle class families with money, but for folk like me used to going to the football, a day out at a soul less shopping centre miles from anything is just not enjoyable.

Edited by Snakebite

5 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I hadn't been to a hockey game for years, since the Eagles played at Braehead in their dying days with a mate of mine who has played at a good standard. Got a couple of tickets off him the other week and went to a Clan game. It is a not bad game itself to watch, I fucking hate the circus around it though. Constant music, a PA who won't shut up, a sponsor for everything, the fake manufactured atmosphere with the drum. Nae needle at all. I suppose its appealing to middle class families with money, but for folk like me used to going to the football, a day out at a soul less shopping centre miles from anything is just not enjoyable.

^^couldn't afford a hotdog type post^^

I went to my first ice hockey game at Braehead on Saturday having been at Murrayfield in the afternoon. To me the hockey was more of a night out whereas the rugby was first and foremost sport with very limited add ons. I suspect I would get more out of it by watching a bit more but the hockey seemed very bitty with little time spent building moves or even patterns of play, as I say that may just be to the untrained eye. The off court side of things was really good, the light apps were a great idea at the start and they're well into raffles etc so lots to keep you entertained if that's what you're after. I will probably go back but it would be for a night out with the family as opposed to going for the sport. A bit like the Rocks basketball, great for families and an all round package but might be too packaged for some.

I go with my rich middle class family.

I probably wouldn't go on my own.

If you don't like American chants, goal music and light shows its not for you.

I would say I go to football to see mates, for the crowd atmosphere, for the needle between fans and all the history and stories and shared experience that goes with that. The actual game itself is pretty shite, slow, no contact and an increasing reliance on technical ability instead of skill. I can count on one hand number of games I watch a year now that don't involve teams I love/hate.

Hockey is opposite. Fast exciting game, plenty contact and energy but the fan experience is sanitised and comfortable enough I can take the family safe and they will enjoy it. Hockey clubs really go the extra mile for having opportunities to interact with players compared to football too.

If you want a replica of football you will be disappointed.

That said Fife seems to be a good mix of the two different experiences.

I'd say there needs to be more of a balance between entertainment and sport. Braehead have slipped in the past year or so. The new DJ doesn't help, he plays far too much pop music and simply doesn't understand what sort of songs should be played when.

Biggest issue is the excessive sponsorship. Sponsored icing being the absolute worst. I would actively not bring business to the companies involved.

The fan experience in the UK will never be like football, or at least not in the near future. With football fans, their club is a huge part of their life, the team has probably been around for at least 100 years, you support them because your dad and his dad supported them, your biggest rivals have been around for years too, if you lose you're gonna hear about it on Monday morning from your work colleagues who support the other team, the result of a football game can set the mood for the whole week following it. In short, football actually matters to football fans, they care more.

Compare that to the Elite League, with the exception of Fife, Nottingham and Edinburgh (admittedly in various guises) most clubs are now longer than 30 years old, it's not like your grandad used to go back in the 50s to watch a team play in a shopping centre rink. If your team loses one or more of their two/three games at the weekend, it's unlikely that your work colleague from Kirkcaldy is going to give you stick all week for it, it wont be all over the media, there won't be your teams poorly designed logo split in two on the back of the Daily Record. Hence there isn't the needle between fans (apart from in Kirkcaldy at times) it just doesn't matter as much to hockey fans in the UK. Hence you need music and lights to create some kind of atmosphere, the same can be said for a lot of NHL teams too.

In comparison to other Europe countries, the UK is an awful fan experience. I went to the Prague derby a few years back and there was tension in the air all night, the only team I've seen riot police with dogs in an ice rink. I went to a couple games in Switzerland, the crowd is Bern was 16,000 odd and the noise was constant. I also went to see a game in Milan, apart from the warm up and I think between periods, there was no music played over the PA all game, they just let the ultras make the noise, including those bomb type things they let off, if you've ever heard how loud they are in an outdoor stadium, imagine them in a place with a roof!

In summary, UK hockey fan experience is shit

Again I would say it's not shit. It's a different market.

For a group of boys it's shit compared to Europe but it's a family night out. You don't say 10 pin bowling is shit because there are no chants.

Fan culture in Europe seems to be far more spread out to all sports. Here we just have one mass attendance sport.

18 hours ago, Torpar said:

In comparison to other Europe countries, the UK is an awful fan experience. I went to the Prague derby a few years back and there was tension in the air all night, the only team I've seen riot police with dogs in an ice rink. I went to a couple games in Switzerland, the crowd is Bern was 16,000 odd and the noise was constant. I also went to see a game in Milan, apart from the warm up and I think between periods, there was no music played over the PA all game, they just let the ultras make the noise, including those bomb type things they let off, if you've ever heard how loud they are in an outdoor stadium, imagine them in a place with a roof!

In summary, UK hockey fan experience is shit

Nonsense. There are plenty of European countries with worse atmosphere than the UK. Of course a Prague derby and the highest attended team in Europe are going to be great experiences. I've watched full seasons in Slovakia and Finland and if it wasn't for the lack of on ice quality I'd rather spend my time at Murrayfield. I've been at midweek games versus Hull which have had better atmosphere than the Minsk derby I saw. The EIHL is far from the best experience in European hockey, but its also far from the worst.

7 hours ago, gavin_3110 said:

Looks like the Clan played a clean game on Saturday.

Ref had a shocker by all accounts. 

Marc LeFebvre interview aftewards says it all.

Pavel Halas is the most useless of c***s. Worse than any scottish football referee. He just doesnt have a clue what hes doing.

Having watched the highlights i dont see what Halas gets wrong.

Couple of soft hooking calls that every team gets but got all big calls right, indeed went soft on some Clan checks to head. 

Lefebvre said on Stars podcast that having watched it again he was harsh on refs.