Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Aaron Lee Tasjan at Tuts tonight, then Margaret Glaspy at the CCA on Saturday. Just saw that Phoebe Bridgers and The Cactus Blossoms have both announced shows so will need to get tickets for those.

Snap.

Can't really be arsed tonight but I'll still go. Don't fancy the support so I'll hold off leaving home til a bit later. Maybe get there for around half 9.

Glaspy will be excellent on Saturday

Hate to say it but Margaret Glaspy was poor tonight.

She tweeted that she'd be on stage at 9:30. The venue planned for a 9:15 start. I suspect words may have been exchanged before she finally appeared around 9:25. Right from the start she seemed to be off her game. I thought the performance lacked the spark she had at her Stereo gig. The new songs were tagged in in a block near the end of her set and that kind of broke any momentum she had built. Slip a new song in beside stuff the crowd recognises but don't group 3 or 4 of them together near the end of the set. Especially when the new songs were pretty weak. Her speech before an underwhelming cover of Slip Slidin' Away seemed forced and insincere. Her Lauren Hill cover wasn't as good as last time. Her Elliot Smith was decent but she utterly destroyed Harvest Moon (not my favourite Neil Young song but she did it a disservice).

I'm stuffed with the cold so maybe I'm being harsh. The songs she hit bang on were great. I was lucky to have seen her at her absolute best in Stereo last year so maybe my expectations were too high. I just thought it was bang average and that's something I didn't think I'd be saying given that her Stereo gig is one of my favourite shows of the past few years.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Hate to say it but Margaret Glaspy was poor tonight.

She tweeted that she'd be on stage at 9:30. The venue planned for a 9:15 start. I suspect words may have been exchanged before she finally appeared around 9:25. Right from the start she seemed to be off her game. I thought the performance lacked the spark she had at her Stereo gig. The new songs were tagged in in a block near the end of her set and that kind of broke any momentum she had built. Slip a new song in beside stuff the crowd recognises but don't group 3 or 4 of them together near the end of the set. Especially when the new songs were pretty weak. Her speech before an underwhelming cover of Slip Slidin' Away seemed forced and insincere. Her Lauren Hill cover wasn't as good as last time. Her Elliot Smith was decent but she utterly destroyed Harvest Moon (not my favourite Neil Young song but she did it a disservice).

I'm stuffed with the cold so maybe I'm being harsh. The songs she hit bang on were great. I was lucky to have seen her at her absolute best in Stereo last year so maybe my expectations were too high. I just thought it was bang average and that's something I didn't think I'd be saying given that her Stereo gig is one of my favourite shows of the past few years.

Agree with this in parts. I thought she started off great, then took a mid set lull from which it never really picked up. I liked the Slip Slidin' Away cover but the speech before did sound rehearsed. I wasn't at Stereo so can't compare, but I was hoping/expecting a lot better tonight.

BSF, did you enjoy Aaron Lee Tasjan? I was back in the bar by the fourth song. Worst gig I've been to this year by a long shot. Utter shite.