Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Damien Jurado last night.

An exceptional performance but I can't honestly say that enjoyment is the right emotion. I love his music. I havent paid enough attention as I should have to his more recent stuff over the past 5 years or there about. It was bleak and beautiful but the vibe was a bit weird - doors open from 7 but no support act. Damien played about 80 minutes. Absolutely no interaction with the crowd. Everybody sat in perfect silence during the show, save for applause between songs. No encore. I'm sure that there will be people at the gig last night who would have absolutely loved it, a similar number of people who would have been disappointed at a lack of earlier material and a fair few folk who'd have been more than a bit baffled by the whole thing.

Would like to have seen Jason Ringenberg tonight but I don't have a ticket, cant really be arsed going back into Glasgow and have a minor car repair to pay for tomorrow. It won't be expensive but I'll give tonight a miss.

Just in from day three of SXSW. Today I saw 13 bands. Ought were the only disappointment, and I’ve come to the conclusion that Wye Oak just aren’t my cup of tea. However, Low Cut Connie, Lee Bains and Caleb Caudle were sensational. Kyle Craft and support This Pine Box made a tremendous pairing, and a surprise performance by Erica Wennerstrom was the icing of the cake.

Highlight of the day, year and possibly life was Annie Hart of Au Revoir, Simone. Her solo show was truly beautiful. After five beers on Sixth Street, I was transported into the Roadhouse of Twin Peaks. Genuinely magical moment. That there were only about eight people made it better -a SXSW accident.

Gary Numan at the Assembly Rooms tomorrow night, then Hookworms on Saturday night at the Art School. 

Saw Numan's ABC show late last year and he and his band were on fine form, so should be a good one tomorrow. Only got into Hookworms recently but the new record is fantastic so really looking to seeing them live.

11 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Highlight of the day, year and possibly life was Annie Hart of Au Revoir, Simone. Her solo show was truly beautiful. After five beers on Sixth Street, I was transported into the Roadhouse of Twin Peaks. Genuinely magical moment. That there were only about eight people made it better -a SXSW accident.

Friends of mine used to go every year but got put off by how busy it was getting and the rising cost of hotels. Still quiet parts then?

Friends of mine used to go every year but got put off by how busy it was getting and the rising cost of hotels. Still quiet parts then?

There are sets which are just a clusterfuck. But it’s easy to avoid them. I’ve seen some of my favourite artists in tiny venues. The hotels are pricy. I feel I get value for money from whatever I spend. I’m in my element here.

11 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I couldn’t ask for any more from a Frightened Rabbit gig. The set list was spot on and I’ve never heard the Academy sound as good as that before.

One of my favourite ever gigs.

I was just coming on to say that there can't be a worse venue for sound anywhere on the planet. Several songs had no bass in them yet something sounding  a lot like bass managed to wash everything else out. Dreadful.

I was just coming on to say that there can't be a worse venue for sound anywhere on the planet. Several songs had no bass in them yet something sounding  a lot like bass managed to wash everything else out. Dreadful.

Normally I’d agree, the Academy is usually awful for sound, maybe I’ve found the sweet spot.

The SECC is streets ahead of The Academy when it comes to terrible sound, and whilst nowhere will be a patch on The Barowlands I think the sound in The Academy is usually pretty good. I’d suggest the problem was more likely to be down to the person operating the soundboard not getting the mix right, or you being a total slaver.

8 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

The SECC is streets ahead of The Academy when it comes to terrible sound, and whilst nowhere will be a patch on The Barowlands I think the sound in The Academy is usually pretty good. I’d suggest the problem was more likely to be down to the person operating the soundboard not getting the mix right, or you being a total slaver.

It has the same problems it had when I saw Interpol there seven years ago and I'm pretty certain my eyes and ears still work, but thanks for the concern

South By Southwest is a wrap for 2018. I saw 79 sets over six days, and of those I think 72 were in full (40 minutes). I saw Lee Bains four or five times, and Goat Girl twice. I think every other set was unique.

Ex-Girlfriends, Doe, and Fruit and Flowers gave day six a distinct indie pop theme. Also took in the brilliant Stella Donnelly, Ron Galo (who gave away his guitar and saxophone at the end of his set) and Slow Caves, whom I had wanted to see for a while.

Goat Girl are going to be the middle of festival lineups this or next summer. They’re seriously talented. The overriding trend was for female-fronted bands, and the demise of guitar/drum two-pieces. Both are welcome, if you ask me.

The only disappointment was Ought, who basically do a dull Joy Division. I’m quite prepared to say that anything I didn’t enjoy was largely due to just not feeling it.

Absolute scenes at Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires, and a spellbinding trip to Twin Peaks with Annie Hart, will live long in the memory.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:41, Mr. Brightside said:

Normally I’d agree, the Academy is usually awful for sound, maybe I’ve found the sweet spot.

Since videos of the evening have started appearing I've found one which has the problem I had

The end of it's just completely washed out.

I think the stupidly high roof of The Academy means it's got so much natural reverb it's a nightmare for techs to get right. I'm with Randy G on this one in that the ABC has the best sound for any gig venue in Glasgow. SECC is the worst by a distance but that's because it's a exhibition hall and not a venue.