Gigs

pilsner_ffc

It was brilliant. Being right at the front ain't good for the ears though.

Don’t think I’ve ever been to a gig in the Liquid Rooms that hasn’t resulted in days of tinnitus afterwards, no matter where you stand. It’s just too small and too fucking loud in there! Think my ears were still ringing 4 days after the Therapy gig.

The worst case of ear ringing I had was after the Jesus and Mary Chain in the Barrowlands in 2015. Serious feedback at the end had me shouting like a Brit abroad for three days.

My Bloody Valentine's reunion gig at the Barrowlands was the loudest gig I've ever been to. Everyone was handed earplugs as you walked in and after 10 seconds of music you could see everyone frantically shoving them in their ears.

Gig of the year was Hurray for the Riff Raff at Saint Luke's by an absolute mile. Cribs at Tuts also fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a few gigs arranged for 2018:

19/01 - This Is The Kit

21/01 - Doghouse Roses

24/01 - Mandolin Orange

26/01 - Sierra Hull

28/01 - I'm With Her

31/01 - Courtney Marie Andrews

03/02 - Colter Wall

20/02 - Lindsay Lou

25/02 - JD McPherson

08/03 - Caroline Spence

11/02 - Handsome Family

13/03 - Damien Jurado

19/04 - Courtney Marie Andrews (again - she's feckin brilliant)

12/05 - Carter Sampson

28/05 - Breeders (pre-sale ticket bought about 5 minutes ago)

16/06 - Belly

1 minute ago, Christophe said:

Got Courtney Marie Andrews x2, Phoebe Bridgers, Damien Jurado and Diane Cluck bought already. Few more catching my attention for next payday.

If you don't already listen and like CMA and Damien Jurado, give Mike Ritchie's show on Celtic Music Radio a listen.

2 hour americana show every Sunday afternoon.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

If you don't already listen and like CMA and Damien Jurado, give Mike Ritchie's show on Celtic Music Radio a listen.

2 hour americana show every Sunday afternoon.

No not aware of that, will check it out. Do they do a podcast version or have a show replay option anywhere?

• 2 weeks later...

This Is The Kit tonight.

Fantastic band. Kate Stables is a great singer, song writer and musician. Her band are outstanding. They're easily one of the finest UK groups of at least the past 20 years.

But a 55 minute main set from a band with 4 albums and a single song encore is a wee bit of a disappointment. What we got was absolutely fantastic, other than them fucking about with "Earthquake" to the detriment of that song.

It could just easily have gone on for another 20 minutes. We'd all have been happy to hear more and it would have felt like a far more satisfying gig.