Procycling thread

myshkin

He's saying that he took more on the advice of his team doctor so presumably on the other days he was under the limit but on this one day he wasn't? It does sound like Sky may have made an arse if it. FWIW, I don't think these asthma drugs should be allowed full stop and I'm quite surprised Froome has a TUE (I'm guessing) for this given his zero tolerance stance in the past.

I don't think you need a TUE as salbutomol isn't a banned drug.

My reading of Froome's comments is that he took an increased dose over a number of days, but not such that the levels of the drug should be as high as found that one day.

As I said upthread, I don't think they should be allowed any asthma stuff or whatever but is it any wonder there are so many problems when there are things not on a banned list that could potentially be used for performance enhancement and that they test for them despite not being on the list, and that questions can be asked about having more of a supposedly legal substance than they should? Cycling doesn't have to go far to find problems but they don't exactly make it hard to take issue with the sport, do they?

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

As I said upthread, I don't think they should be allowed any asthma stuff or whatever but is it any wonder there are so many problems when there are things not on a banned list that could potentially be used for performance enhancement and that they test for them despite not being on the list, and that questions can be asked about having more of a supposedly legal substance than they should? Cycling doesn't have to go far to find problems but they don't exactly make it hard to take issue with the sport, do they?

To be fair, it's WADA's rules regarding Salbutamol, not just cycling's.

As I said upthread, I don't think they should be allowed any asthma stuff

Asthma medication isn't performance enhancing. It only helps individuals who have genuinely got asthma.

At least that's what the experts I've heard/read today are saying.

3 hours ago, printer said:

Asthma medication isn't performance enhancing. It only helps individuals who have genuinely got asthma.

At least that's what the experts I've heard/read today are saying.

This.

The BBC said he doped on News At Ten, which is simply not the case.

Put it this way, he's defo not winning SPOTY now.

Strange the number of top level athletes who have asthma they need to treat with drugs. Fair play to them for being able to succeed under such circumstances. Same as the high proportion of heart conditions that is found in what you would expect to a healthy population, just amazing what can be overcomes.

Strange the number of top level athletes who have asthma they need to treat with drugs.

On the surface it appears strange, but from what I'm reading there appears to he good evidence that elite athletes are more likely to suffer from asthma.

As I've mentioned already, there are no performance enhancing properties from Salbutomol if you don't have asthma.

The BBC said he doped on News At Ten, which is simply not the case.

Put it this way, he's defo not winning SPOTY now.

Typical shoddy, even sensationalist reporting from the BBC.

I normally don't vote in SPOTY, but I'll be voting for Froome now.

On the surface it appears strange, but from what I'm reading there appears to he good evidence that elite athletes are more likely to suffer from asthma.

As I've mentioned already, there are no performance enhancing properties from Salbutomol if you don't have asthma.
Aside from it being a masking agent.

Strange the number of top level athletes who have asthma they need to treat with drugs. Fair play to them for being able to succeed under such circumstances. Same as the high proportion of heart conditions that is found in what you would expect to a healthy population, just amazing what can be overcomes.

12% of population have asthma so one would expect only a tiny minority of athletes in endurance sports like cycling swimming n athletics to need asthma medication.....almost as if uk is smarter at cheating than Russia....