Procycling thread

myshkin

Expecting sky to dominate the peleton like last year, valverde might prove to be the main man for movistar, quintana not at his best at giro. 

Peter Sagan to mop up any sprints and claim the points jersey once more.

Eurosport showing all stages live from start to finish i believe.

They are. Don't have Eurosport so the ITV4 coverage will have to do - although at least there's the bonus of Gary Imlach hosting (having said that Jonathan Edwards improved as his stint hosting the Giro on Eurosport went on).

I wouldn't be so sure that Sky will be as dominant as some think. A few of the super-domestiques went to other teams (a couple to join up with Richie Porte at BMC, and he looked very strong recently), Geraint Thomas got injured at the Giro, and Froome isn't is any sort of form either in the mountains or on the time trail bike. He's still probably the favourite as long as the other contenders race and don't concern themselves too much trying to ensure that it's an "anyone but Froome" situation.

21 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I wouldn't be so sure that Sky will be as dominant as some think.

(snip)

Geraint Thomas got injured at the Giro

Called it. Almost. 4 of the top 10 Sky riders, Froome already about 30 seconds ahead of the other GC contenders and Thomas wins the stage including finishing several seconds ahead of pre-match favourite Tony Martin.

On 30/06/2017 at 18:31, F_T_Y said:

Expecting sky to dominate the peleton like last year, valverde might prove to be the main man for movistar, quintana not at his best at giro. 

Peter Sagan to mop up any sprints and claim the points jersey once more.

Eurosport showing all stages live from start to finish i believe.

As are ITV4

A quick 40 sec head start for Froome & Thomas, on the other GC contenders.
Feel sorry for Valverde, whole season planned round this & came to grief with s fairly heafty crash. Possible leg break?

Just now, kiddy said:

A quick 40 sec head start for Froome & Thomas, on the other GC contenders.
Feel sorry for Valverde, whole season planned round this & came to grief with s fairly heafty crash. Possible leg break?

Looked like the Collar bone and hip imo

Could Sky keep the Yellow Jersey from start to finish? Enough of a gap that a sprinter shouldn't take it off Thomas and unless someone who is just a little behind but isn't a GC contender is in a breakaway that succeeds then he should be able to keep it on the flat and transition stages, then in the Pyrenees they can control things and either let Thomas try to hold on to it or transfer it to Froome then defend all the way to Paris... 

An extremely long way to go, but only a fading Bertie & Porte didn't ride the Giro. Looks a two horse race, with Sky having Thomas as their Joker card.
Forgot to say French TV got a bit of a bloody nose y/day. Choosing to stay on Bardet, knowing full well the time splits, & only covering Thomas' finish by dint of his nearly catching the AG2R rider!

Have to admit that the newly expanded coverage didn't exactly get off to a good start today - several hours of tedium only livened up by the crash then the mechanical for Froome followed by a bunch sprint. Maybe when we get some more hills it'll work out well but I went off to do/watch other things for the most part today.

Have to admit that the newly expanded coverage didn't exactly get off to a good start today - several hours of tedium only livened up by the crash then the mechanical for Froome followed by a bunch sprint. Maybe when we get some more hills it'll work out well but I went off to do/watch other things for the most part today.

Always the case that the long flat stages are only worth watching for the finish, in the past Eurosport only ever showed mountain stages in their entirety for that very reason. Today's might be better as it's a bumpier looking stage profile, 11% gradient towards the end, look for one of the classics riders to win.

Oh definitely. But isn't this a decision by the host broadcaster rather than ITV/Eurosport? I do wonder if the cameras missing Sky being caught out by Movistar at last year's Vuelta (which you could argue ultimately cost Froome a Tour-Vuelta double) was the big driver behind this although I guess the smaller teams sponsors will be happy at the increased exposure if they get a man in the breakaway. Should be a decent stage today but I'll be out most of the afternoon sadly.

I had Ligget/Sherwin commentary. They were blaming a Katusha rider for the crash, when it was as clear as day Froome lost his front wheel, taking down the majority of the peleton. #fuds