Procycling thread

myshkin

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Was the result ever in any doubt?

He lost the Yellow Jersey a week ago. The second favourite almost got killed smashing into the side of a mountain. I'd say there has been alot of doubt. Possibly even up until the first time check today. Even though it definitely went as expected.

He lost the Yellow Jersey a week ago. The second favourite almost got killed smashing into the side of a mountain. I'd say there has been alot of doubt. Possibly even up until the first time check today. Even though it definitely went as expected.

Again, did you legitimately think Aru could win?
Also, crashes happen. Personally from the start there have only been a couple of exciting stages, past that, it never looked in doubt for Froome particularly with Landa and Kwitkowski in superb form.

Froome looked weak in the Pyrenees, and up until Porte crashed out he was still in with a chance. At the end of the day having a team of Super Domestiques was always going to lend to the eventual result, but I wouldn't go so far to say it was never in doubt. Sagan getting punted out was probably the main thing that detracted from the entertainment. I'm sure he would have done that climb today on a unicycle or something like that, just for the bants.

The bookies would have paid out if it was 'never in doubt', no?

I didn't say it was never in doubt, and whoever did was obviously using hyperbole.
I think it's fair to say that despite the small time gaps this tour won't go down in history as a particularly competitive one. That's not to say it hasn't been entertaining in parts but it's been far from a classic.

One where something happens.

Froome strong again but age perhaps catching up with him as he didn't look explosive on the climbs as in the past. 

Bardet ultimately disappointing as he just wasn't strong enough for a sustained attack. Every other GC rider was poor and nowhere near Froome's level.

Interesting if the organisers will make a Bardet friendly course next year too or try and tempt Doumalin with a longer TT. He might be the only one to beat Froome.

Froome talking of doing La Vuelta, starts 4 weeks time in Nimes.
If you consider his lack of spring racing, & his tempered form until today, could this be a planned attempt at a double?

What then constitutes a "classic tour", pray tell, I can't wait to hear?

You're just being difficult for the sake of it now. There's no definition of a classic tour, just like there's no definition of a classic football game, but we know one when we see one. I guess you already knew that though.

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Froome talking of doing La Vuelta, starts 4 weeks time in Nimes.
If you consider his lack of spring racing, & his tempered form until today, could this be a planned attempt at a double?

He said all along that he was wanting to do the double and that it was the main reason he wasn't in many of the early season races. It is apparently his priority for the season and given he probably would have won last year but for Sky being caught out on a flat section before a climb, and that it wasn't a big priority for him last season, you wouldn't bet against him. Presumably Pouewls will be be his chief domestique in the mountains but Nieve and Henao haven't been great and Thomas and Landa have both ridden both the Giro and Tour (albeit Thomas didn't finish either) so I'm not sure who else will be helping him there. If love him to win that then try for the Giro at some point. Nibali has the full set and as good a rider he is, he isn't in the same league as Froome. 

Thomas & Rowe riding the Tour of Britain, along with Kwiatowski.
Would imagine team would come from Standard, Kennaugh, Pouwels, Ellisonde, Deignan, Pucchio, Rosa, Lopez or Intxausti.
Would think the Spaniards will get the nod over the Italians too.

The final stage sprint is one of sport's great moments. I'm not going to bother trying to spell the winner, but that final lap is always exciting as f**k.

Some pair of balls on the Dutch boy to go from so far out. Brilliant win for him.

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Thomas & Rowe riding the Tour of Britain, along with Kwiatowski.
Would imagine team would come from Standard, Kennaugh, Pouwels, Ellisonde, Deignan, Pucchio, Rosa, Lopez or Intxausti.
Would think the Spaniards will get the nod over the Italians too.

Totally forgot Kenny Ellisonde went to Sky. It totally passed me by that Nico Roache went there, and then again when he left for BMC!  StIll a decent squad for Froome if he does go for it.