Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I don't get the obsession with getting the newest phone. I'm on an iPhone 5 and tbh the difference between my phone and the 7 really doesn't seem worth the £20 extra I would have had to pay a month plus I think there was an extra fee of around £100 just for the handset before the monthly payments.

I had an Iphone5 for the last 3 years. I recently got an LG (no idea the model given my couldn't give a f**k attitude towards phones) and for me and what I use it for the LG is no different. Except the battery isn't utterly pathetic like the Iphone. These folk who get the latest phone as soon as it comes out need their fucking head checked.

45 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Granny D is angling for free iPhones for the over 62s.

FTFY

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

We've been paying more than the Yanks for decades, they set their prices and that's the way it is. 

That seems like the long and short of it.  Given the demand it looks like they can charge what they want.  However it's 30% plus make than in the US and that seems pretty harsh.  As I say not just Apple, I presume it's the same with all other 'phones at all othe price points.

Hope you sent a "reply all" to everyone concerned.

No. This is a trivial and private matter. However, if it happened in the workplace it may be the kind of issue that would cause a concerned person to send an e-mail to everyone in the building stating their disappointment with the behaviour of these people. That person wouldn't be me. Those are the e-mails I scan and delete.

14 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Some sort of Wikipiedia page for each user would be handy so everyone would know all the history, petty squabbles and pisstakes etc that can be used as ammunition against posters. 

Encyclopedia Dramatica is still a thing, is it not?

I would suggest that's a can of worms best left unopened, unless you fancy your home address being posted for WaffenThinMint's perusal.

16 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The new iPhone has been launched and there are gasps that it could cost $1,000.  Given that this is about £700 which is what you pay for the top end iPhone 7 in the U.K. this suggests we're paying more than the Yanks.

If so I'm sure it doesn't just apply to Apple.  Are tech companies getting away with higher prices in the U.K. and if so how?

I read somewhere that the US prices are always quoted before sales tax as this varies from state to state, whilst the UK prices are including VAT - so the difference isn't as much as might seem.

I read somewhere that the US prices are always quoted before sales tax as this varies from state to state, whilst the UK prices are including VAT - so the difference isn't as much as might seem.

I hadn't thought of that but it makes total sense. Things in the US are often advertised pre-sales tax as the amount differs state by state (as do a lot of taxes). I happened to be looking at the American tax system last night to see if there is any reason why certain sports teams in the major American leagues (particularly the ones with Canadian teams) may find it easier or harder to attract players based on how high the taxation is in their area. The whole thing about Monaco being able to arguably attract players they may not be able to afford otherwise based on the favourable tax system in Monaco compared with the rest of France got me wondering.

10 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I hadn't thought of that but it makes total sense. Things in the US are often advertised pre-sales tax as the amount differs state by state (as do a lot of taxes). I happened to be looking at the American tax system last night to see if there is any reason why certain sports teams in the major American leagues (particularly the ones with Canadian teams) may find it easier or harder to attract players based on how high the taxation is in their area. The whole thing about Monaco being able to arguably attract players they may not be able to afford otherwise based on the favourable tax system in Monaco compared with the rest of France got me wondering.

Yes...the article I read showed how the price of the iPhone in New York State was actually higher than in Europe due to taxes.

I always assumed that the super-rich clubs made up the differences in taxes to help them attract the best players.

Yes...the article I read showed how the price of the iPhone in New York State was actually higher than in Europe due to taxes.
I always assumed that the super-rich clubs made up the differences in taxes to help them attract the best players.

Looks like that's what basically happens in America. The Monaco thing I don't think is such an issue now, but previously they were thought to be able to get payers whilst paying less than their league 1 competitors due to the tax difference being so pronounced.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Yep. Sales tax in Louisiana is 9.98% compared with hee-haw in New Hampshire, so a $99.80 difference in the overall price you'd pay for the iPhone X.