Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Nirvana are okay.
Foo fighters are quite pish.
Nickleback are fuckin rotten.
H2H.

Nirvana changed music and became the soundtrack for a whole generation.

Foo fighters are just a brilliant, no-nonsense rock band with a legendary front man.

Nickelback are dug meat.

The auld yins didn't understand the big deal about Nirvana at the time, and pointed out that they just ripped off a bunch of bands like Cheap Trick. I like their albums and they wrote a fair few good songs, but a lot of their stratospheric success came down to timing, and I doubt they'd still be considered such a big deal if it wasn't for the suicide. Well-known and considered classic rock, like Guns 'n' Roses for example, but not really relevant.

Certainly not as culturally important as giants like Nickelback  :whistle

Nirvana have one really really good song, a couple of pretty good songs and a lot of dross. It always irritates me that Nirvana fans seem to dislike 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' which is one of the greatest rock songs ever written. Why would you dislike your favourite band's best song?

You don't hear Nickelback fans going 'nah, leave that "How you remind me" stuff off the playlist' or Abba fans going 'y'know, I've never liked "Waterloo".' Or chumbawumba fans going 'pfft, Tubthumping? What was that all about?'

Nirvana have one really really good song, a couple of pretty good songs and a lot of dross. It always irritates me that Nirvana fans seem to dislike 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' which is one of the greatest rock songs ever written. Why would you dislike your favourite band's best song?

You don't hear Nickelback fans going 'nah, leave that "How you remind me" stuff off the playlist' or Abba fans going 'y'know, I've never liked "Waterloo".' Or chumbawumba fans going 'pfft, Tubthumping? What was that all about?'

Smells Like Teen Spirit, much like GnR's Sweet Child O' Mine, got and still does get totally played to death, once all the mainstream radio jumped on the back of the hype. Same thing tends to happen with most rock bands and their biggest hits. Songs like the two above, Under The Bridge by RHCP, or Oasis' Don't Look Back In Anger and Wonderwall I'd be happy to never hear again to be honest.

Smells Like Teen Spirit, much like GnR's Sweet Child O' Mine, got and still does get totally played to death, once all the mainstream radio jumped on the back of the hype. Same thing tends to happen with most rock bands and their biggest hits. Songs like the two above, Under The Bridge by RHCP, or Oasis' Don't Look Back In Anger and Wonderwall I'd be happy to never hear again to be honest.

There's a reason those songs get played so much, they are the best ones.

46 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

A lot of the time though the one song that everyone knows is either a simplistic dirge that somehow people have latched onto - Smoke on the Water, Paranoid, Silver Machine for a few egregious examples. or one that's totally unrepresentative of what the band actually sound like - I'm thinking BOC's Don't Fear The Reaper or any number of hair metal bands who had one-off hits with soppy ballad type material.

Most popular doesn't necessarily equal best. I always feel sorry for bands that have been going forever who effectively HAVE to play a lot of stuff they're almost certainly sick to death of...the likes of Deep Purple must die a wee bit inside every night when the gumbier elements of their fanbase start shouting for Smoke on the Water three songs in.

2 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

A lot of the time though the one song that everyone knows is either a simplistic dirge that somehow people have latched onto - Smoke on the Water, Paranoid, Silver Machine for a few egregious examples. or one that's totally unrepresentative of what the band actually sound like - I'm thinking BOC's Don't Fear The Reaper or any number of hair metal bands who had one-off hits with soppy ballad type material.

Most popular doesn't necessarily equal best. I always feel sorry for bands that have been going forever who effectively HAVE to play a lot of stuff they're almost certainly sick to death of...the likes of Deep Purple must die a wee bit inside every night when the gumbier elements of their fanbase start shouting for Smoke on the Water three songs in.

Neil Young had the answer to this, he'd just play his latest shite album all over again just to say 'f**k you' for those that came along looking for an evening of greatest hits.

Exactly this. There's probably many others like them but I'm pretty sure Lemmy and Slash are both on record as having said they're (or was in Lemmy's case) both sick of playing/hearing Ace of Spades and Sweet Child O' Mine.

7 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Neil Young had the answer to this, he'd just play his latest shite album all over again just to say 'f**k you' for those that came along looking for an evening of greatest hits.

Ah, the Tonight's The Night tour!

He played the new album in sequence, then said to the crowd "Here's some stuff I'm sure you'll have heard before..."

Big cheer.

He then played the new album again.

He did something similar at the SECC a while ago - a whole set of unreleased material...I'm fairly sure a lot of it still hasn't seen the light of day.

Edited by Hillonearth

Most popular doesn't necessarily mean best, I agree, but quite often it is, hence why it's most popular. With the examples you've listed Silver Machine is Hawkwind's best song, likewise with Paranoid for Sabbath. Smoke on the water I agree isn't Deep Purple's best song (Child in Time for me) but it's a good song, very catchy and the first Deep Purple song I ever heard and the reason I got interested in the band in the first place. Though there are some bands whose most popular song I wouldn't necessarily say is the best, with most I think they usually are. And with Nirvana it seems to be a special sort of hatred reserved for that song, which I don't really understand. To me it is not only Nirvana's best song, it's their best by a long, long way. But it almost seems like to be a member of the Nirvana club you have to dislike that one song. The only comparison I can think of is Metallica fans with Enter Sandman.

17 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Most popular doesn't necessarily mean best, I agree, but quite often it is, hence why it's most popular. With the examples you've listed Silver Machine is Hawkwind's best song, likewise with Paranoid for Sabbath. Smoke on the water I agree isn't Deep Purple's best song (Child in Time for me) but it's a good song, very catchy and the first Deep Purple song I ever heard and the reason I got interested in the band in the first place. Though there are some bands whose most popular song I wouldn't necessarily say is the best, with most I think they usually are. And with Nirvana it seems to be a special sort of hatred reserved for that song, which I don't really understand. To me it is not only Nirvana's best song, it's their best by a long, long way. But it almost seems like to be a member of the Nirvana club you have to dislike that one song. The only comparison I can think of is Metallica fans with Enter Sandman.

We'll have to agree to disagree re Hawkwind - they had a great run from '71-'77 and again from '80-'85 in their more heavy metal incarnation, but were always more of an album act - Silver Machine was a fairly throwaway track that happened to become a freak hit single, and unfortunately came to define them. It's all subjective I suppose - for me Paranoid's not even the best song on Sabbath's second album, just one by all accounts they cobbled together quickly because they were a song short to fit two sides of vinyl - I'd rate War Pigs, Iron Man, Electric Funeral, Hand of Doom, Fairies Wear Boots - maybe even Planet Caravan - above it!

I also think a lot of it is down to sheer repetition breeding contempt though - I'll be the first to agree that Stairway to Heaven is a great song for example, but in the same breath I'll tell you I'd be perfectly happy if I never heard it again in my life.

We'll have to agree to disagree re Hawkwind - they had a great run from '71-'77 and again from '80-'85 in their more heavy metal incarnation, but were always more of an album act - Silver Machine was a fairly throwaway track that happened to become a freak hit single, and unfortunately came to define them. It's all subjective I suppose - for me Paranoid's not even the best song on Sabbath's second album, just one by all accounts they cobbled together quickly because they were a song short to fit two sides of vinyl - I'd rate War Pigs, Iron Man, Electric Funeral, Hand of Doom, Fairies Wear Boots - maybe even Planet Caravan - above it!
I also think a lot of it is down to sheer repetition breeding contempt though - I'll be the first to agree that Stairway to Heaven is a great song for example, but in the same breath I'll tell you I'd be perfectly happy if I never heard it again in my life.

Totally agree with your pick of Black Sabbath songs over Paranoid. And everyone knows Black Sabbath is Black Sabbath's best song.

6 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Totally agree with your pick of Black Sabbath songs over Paranoid. And everyone knows Black Sabbath is Black Sabbath's best song.

Closely followed by Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. There actually aren't that many duffers on their first six albums actually, although I never took to Vol.4 as much as the others - more due to the slightly tinny production compared to the others rather than the material.

Edited by Hillonearth

My favourite band but still like Enter Sandman when it's played live as it's a bit heavier, gets the crowd bouncing and the pyro adds a bit of excitement.

Closely followed by Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. There actually aren't that many duffers on their first six albums actually, although I never took to Vol.4 as much as the others - more due to the slightly tinny production compared to the others rather than the material.

Their first album will always be the best one for me, especially just for the way the album opens. Eerie as f**k.