Snow!

xbl

4 hours ago, Rowan said:

Why the insist on gritting snow is beyond me, leaves a slushy slippery mess that is lethal when freezes. 

Snow needs cleared not gritted.

Do they not clear the snow and then grit the roads afterwards in Scotland?  In a country that is used to snow (Canada) we clear the snow and then the snowplough drops salt behind so that ice doesn't form on the road.

4 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Do they not clear the snow and then grit the roads afterwards in Scotland?  In a country that is used to snow (Canada) we clear the snow and then the snowplough drops salt behind so that ice doesn't form on the road.

I see it's a bit chilly over there. Is there any point in spraying salt at 23 below?

Just now, welshbairn said:

I see it's a bit chilly over there. Is there any point in spraying salt at 23 below?

Eh, not when it's this bloody cold but it's not always -23.  At some point it will warm up to a more reasonable -10 and the salt will be more effective.  I've got a 4 hour drive in the next couple of days so hope the highways (motorways) aren't too slick despite the lack of snow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Met Office weather warning out for snow .  Monday 15 Jan 18:00 - Tuesday 23:55.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-01-15

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Snow showers will be heaviest and most frequent across western Scotland. The largest accumulations of snow will be over high ground with over 10 cm building up above 200 metres. At low levels, accumulations of the order 2-5 cm will be more typical. Showers will also be accompanied by hail and lightning at times, particularly across northern and western Scotland. Here, there is potential for disruption to power supplies from frequent lightning strikes. Strong winds are also expected, with the potential for temporary blizzard conditions and drifting of lying snow, particularly over high ground.

FFS. Got very excited at the talk about "Thundersnow" .... 10cm forecast in my area. Definitely an excuse to work from home. 

Wake up to a light dusting and not even one comment on the Snow thread. 

** shakes fist at the Sky / Met Office **

FFS. Got very excited at the talk about "Thundersnow" .... 10cm forecast in my area. Definitely an excuse to work from home. 
Just in from work, roads in Balornock and Barmulloch are a disaster, even the supposed priority bus routes. We've certainly had more than a dusting and It's still coming down.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
18 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Just in from work, roads in Balornock and Barmulloch are a disaster, even the supposed priority bus routes. We've certainly had more than a dusting and It's still coming down.

Strange that I'm only a few miles away and there's barely a snowflake to be seen. Guess I must be lower down. Still, since I work in EK, I'll probably encounter the hard stuff at some point. 

Strange that I'm only a few miles away and there's barely a snowflake to be seen. Guess I must be lower down. Still, since I work in EK, I'll probably encounter the hard stuff at some point. 
I work at Polmadie, and it wasn't too bad over there. Got progressively worse the closer I got to home. My daughter is seething as I've told her she is walking to school, not taking the car back out as it was skidding all over the place.5e34aff7d1b296b0e9d3c3c4d8c8b9e9.jpg

30 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

It's NEVER as bad as they forecast.  I reckon they just overestimate so that they can't be called out if the weather's worse than they predicted.  Blame Michael Fish.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
2 minutes ago, Rugster said:
A wee dusting and people are driving at 10mph on roads which are fine. Stay off the road if you can't cope with it. Bunch of fucking fannies.

U in England m8?

You'd fucking think so. Honestly, seething this morning. 

A wee dusting and people are driving at 10mph on roads which are fine. Stay off the road if you can't cope with it. Bunch of fucking fannies.

So much this. Stuck behind folk doing 25 on a dual carriageway, wtf? Then stuck behind some spoon in the car park who couldn’t get up the slightest hill. Smfh.