Snow!

xbl

Folk who have seen the Hilltown will know how steep that particular street is. It’s untreated as well (i.e. not cleared of snow and little to no grit).

So of course there were morons attempting to navigate one of the steepest roads in Dundee today. One had crashed right in to the traffic lights at the bottom (outside the back of the Wellgate) earlier. As I was walking down I saw a guy just abandon his car in the middle of the road. He just turned the hazard lights on and got out to phone someone (presumably car towing folk). I saw a taxi trying to get down the hill. The guy had the brakes on but was just slowly sliding down.

What sort of absolute moron would try to drive up or down a steep hill that is covered in slush and ice? Absolutely brainless, and dangerous as well.

There should be some sort of system in cars that means they won’t start for certain drivers in certain conditions so that these staggeringly stupid people can’t cause accidents, be in accidents, and block up the roads

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

Serious question from someone who doesn’t have kids.

How accommodating are employers if you need to take a day off work, as a result of schools shutting due to snow?

It depends on the employer, obviously.  Mine are very accommodating, but I get on well with my boss and whilst I work for a big company, we tend to work things locally.

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Bit surprised the schools in Edinburgh are closed as there isn't much snow here, they must be predicting it getting worse later. Made the commute to work easy though.

Absolutely this! Look like nothing more than an inch or so over most of Edinburgh (if that) - given the timing of when we were told it must be expected during the school day and they wanted to ensure folks wouldn't have to get called to pick up their little angels...

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

f**k sake Dundee. I have to get up for work now.

No doubt I'll be the only one in the bloody school

Someone tweet them and ask why Birkhill and Strathmartine. Two Angus schools within 2 mile of where I am going are shut but I still have to get out of bed. I would do it but I'll get sacked.

Those lavvies wont unblock themselves you know.

Anyway, took the bairn to school earlier.  Although the roads were a bit dodgy nobody died on route.  

I on the other hand felt it was too dangerous to go to work today so a day of working from home (ie getting the sledge runners sharpened for later).

42 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Serious question from someone who doesn’t have kids.

How accommodating are employers if you need to take a day off work, as a result of schools shutting due to snow?

Serious answer; if, due to weather, you have unexpected childcare (i.e. snow means the schools are shut and you have to look after your kids) you are legally entitled to take the day off work/your work is legally obliged to give you the time off.

Unfortunately they aren't obliged legally to pay you for it.