Synthetic Football Pitches

Law Stud

2G or 3G  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer 2G, mainly because it means players who rely on diving in and kicking people either end up with no skin afterwards, or have to refrain and are completely useless as a result. I also think it encourages passing football, as any big punts just skid out the park. Also your touch has to be far better due to the faster surface. The only problem is that fucks up my back and I can barely walk for about two days after it.

Have i got this wrong, or, are the Toryglen pitches the next generation to 3G? Or are they just a variation on the 3G theme?

Calum, it's a FIFA 2 star pitch - similar to the one at Stenhousemuir which is a 3G pitch incorporating sand and rubber infill.

As a keeper, I prefer grass at places such as Stepps and Muirend, but I'd rather play on 3G instead of places that have flooded goalmouths or severely rutted parks, Kirktonholme in EK is particularly bad.

To add to the different varieties of 3G, I don't mind some of the "in between" Astros like the ones at Gussie Park and the Science Parks, but the likes of Toryglen and Jock Stein parks are tremendous and are definitely the most advanced.

Guys, for those that are interested.

I met with North Lanarkshire Council yesterday. I had complained on behalf of my sons football club about the council plans to install yet more 2G pitches in new build primary schools in the area. There had been a lot of communication previously where a Council planner made some absolutely ridiculous claims about 2G hence the reason for the poll, and the reason why I gathered a number of e-mails from high profile people at the SFA.

After presenting some of that evidence the council changed their claim saying that of course 3G was better and they accepted that potentially it was cheaper than 2G but the claimed that the schools Head Teacher wanted 2G installed because they didn't like the thought of their school having those "black rubber crumbs" brought into the school!!! So I've now got a different target in my sights.

What also emerged yesterday was that the SNP government have blocked all plans within NLC, and in other local authorities apparently, to upgrade existing gravel pitches to 3G and plans to add a second and third 3G pitch to Wishaw Sports Centre have been shelved for a minimum of 5 years. So not only have the SNP ran the Glasgow Commonwealth Games to the point where it's going to come in massively over budget, and possibly too late as well, they are also putting massive obstacles in place to football development. The only opportunity for 3G pitches to be installed now is if clubs apply and obtain the funding themselves - from the likes of the European Commission, or from Sports Scotland or any other charities - or if the local council can sneak them into school new builds, or redevelopments.

The positive news was that two schools in our area are due for redevelopment and that means 3 new 3G pitches over the next three years.

As I've said before thanks to all who expressed an opinion and thanks to those who voted.

• 5 years later...

Just found this thread today but if you do slide tackles on sand/astro pitches and you get cut can it shorten your career and decrease stamina and pace

Does anybody play much football at all on 2g pitches? Certainly nobody worried about career length or drop offs in fitness.

2G is certainly on the way out. I've not been involved in a proper game on one as a player or a coach for at least 8 years of I remember rightly. Used to coach a team that trained on one but that was it. Mearns high school up the road from me recently ripped there's up and installed 3G while St Ninians replaced their ash Park with a 2G Park before building a 3G across from it in partnership with Giffnock Soccer Centre

The 2G is marked as a hockey pitch and seems totally pointless. Nobody plays hockey and the 3G is the only one that gets used for pe so don't know where the logic was

Interesting that Dicko was objecting to the cooncil building 2G instead of 3. Would you believe that Renfrewshire put blaze or 'golden gravel' parks in some of their new build schools about 5 years ago?

Interesting that Dicko was objecting to the cooncil building 2G instead of 3. Would you believe that Renfrewshire put blaze or 'golden gravel' parks in some of their new build schools about 5 years ago?

Aye a couple of years ago in Erskine. Can't remember the name of the school but it has at least one 3g now

yea seems to be the only type of pitches in Stirling bar forthbank

Probably best to move out of a Council area thats stuck in 1314 IMO

Archived