Synthetic Football Pitches

Law Stud

2G or 3G  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not going to load the poll in any way. The question is simple enough. If you had to play on a synthetic pitch and you had the choice between 2G, that's the astroturf with sand through it, or 3G, that's the astroturf with the wee bits of recycled rubber through it - for those that don't know :rolleyes: - which would you opt to play on?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3G by far. I actually prefer it to grass as the parks I'm likely to play on are not exactly mainatained by profesional groundsmen. The fact that no opposition manager has ever used our pitch as a complaint for defeat goes some way to backing up the point that it's an excellent surfarce

P.S - Surely there is no debate to be had between 3G and 2G, 2G is rubbish!

As a rule I dislike artificial pitches, but definitely 3G.

Nothing compares with grass. It just doesn't quite feel right otherwise. So much "heavier" underfoot.

In my first week of university I played on a grass pitch in Ruchil Park, maryhill. The surface was half bog half longish grass and I got my knee ripped to pieces by a broken glass bottle which stopped me from playing football for ages.

People bang on there being nothing quite like grass but unless you are one of the bigger sides who can employ a full time groundsman and have minimul reserve/youth/ or training sessions on the park then it's going to be a midden by Christmas. Public parks are always shambolic regardless of season and how anyone can actually prefer your average grass park to decent astroturf other than for nostalgic reasons is beyond me!

In my first week of university I played on a grass pitch in Ruchil Park, maryhill. The surface was half bog half longish grass and I got my knee ripped to pieces by a broken glass bottle which stopped me from playing football for ages.

People bang on there being nothing quite like grass but unless you are one of the bigger sides who can employ a full time groundsman and have minimul reserve/youth/ or training sessions on the park then it's going to be a midden by Christmas. Public parks are always shambolic regardless of season and how anyone can actually prefer your average grass park to decent astroturf other than for nostalgic reasons is beyond me!

Fair points. I'm referring to glass free zones!

I find that as long as a grass pitch hasn't been overused and is slightly wet or slightly damp it is ideal for footballing conditions as it is fairly soft underfoot (so you don't get friction burns in slide tackles). Obviously if you're looking for regular football in all seasons with relatively low maintenance, artificial pitches are the dogs bollocks, but I've always found them a bit uncomfortable underfoot and for full contact football.

In footballing terms I am basically Boab McCulloch. My game is built around being physically stronger then the majority of opponents, I've got a cunt of a strike and I love a good slide tackle and for these reasons an acceptable grass park is probably more fun to play on, but for overall quality of football permitted the head has to rule the heart IMO.

Archived