Shinty

thejailender

• 5 months later...

Happy New Season!

Up the A82 in my semi-submersible to Spean Bridge, chiefly to observe the new season tradition and answer the big question - what hair do does the Innes McD sport this year? (Not the fully fledged jaggy bush of years gone by.)

Half time here and it's 2-0 to Kyles. They took the lead from a retaken penalty, the Lochaber keeper having escaped lightly with a yellow card and 120 hours community service for bayoneting Roddy McD.

No sausage rolls.

Lochaber started well but Kyles are pulling clear now. Decent game considering the awful weather.

4ec72482693ed26a8646f29a3989186d.jpg

• 2 months later...

New ground for me today: the delightful wee town of Cannich to see Strathglass. I couldn't have placed Cannich on a map until today. Brilliant trip.

I'd feared Ballachulish would take a bit of a pasting but they made a real game of it, hitting the bar and keeping Strathglass out until 40 mins. They lost a second quickly which kind of killed the game.

Anyway Strathglass looked decent up front, great park there, very decent pie shop. Friendly locals apart from the maniac on the single track road who didn't quite get the concept of a passing place.

Strathglass go on to play Kilmory at home in the last 16, so both teams must fancy their chances of a cup run.

Another grand day out!

a5ec8b93cad2a8794963fe68063017ca.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tayforth 1 Aberdour 1

Credit to the organisers of the Meadows Festival and the Camanachd Association for the event today. There was a very decent crowd for the game, and both teams played well on the day.

I was thinking what a great venue the Meadows would make for say a Celtic Society final one day.

eb2bde3ba7ac270ab484b6ff95e32013.jpg

• 2 months later...

First camanachd semi today. Looks like a good match.

Took in the Oban Kyles game a few weeks ago. That's 3 games I have watched Camanachd play and yet to seem them score.

I like to see Oban do well as they bring a big crowd to the final. Obviously my focus on the second one. Tough ask for Skye to take on Newtonmore but an oban v Skye final would be a great occasion.

League is looking the best it has in years. Would love to see Kinlochshiel go on and do it.

• 1 month later...

Kinlochshiel on verge of league title. Incredible!

Cup Final in Inverness next week and them off to Oban to see league decider week after - two big games to look forward to.

Skye promoted, Caberfeidh sweating on results elsewhere to go up with them.

Quite the season!

A wee Hugh Dan event coming in Edinburgh for anyone with a passing interest and the ability to bunk off of an afternoon: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/broadcasting-mingles-with-the-air-of-the-glens-tickets-37656071323

Looking forward to this today.

Think it's a game too far for Newtonmore and nothing against them but is god to see other teams in abut the trophies. I wonder if they are n the wane in general.

Kinlochshiel winning title would be well deserved as they were excellent last year too and shows any club in the country it can be done.