Who's Going To Uni?

Didn't engineering used to get taught in colleges? If your course used to be taught in a college, the chances are about 95% that you're doing a diddy subject.

Wasn't your entire university a technical college until forty-odd years ago? :D

Didn't engineering used to get taught in colleges? If your course used to be taught in a college, the chances are about 95% that you're doing a diddy subject.

They teach history in colleges now as well. They don't make intellectual snobbery easy these days, do they?

Wasn't your entire university a technical college until forty-odd years ago? :D

There's a huge, ridiculous tree of lineage (and mergers, lots and lots of mergers) for Strathclyde in one of the offices. I believe the original institution created by John Anderson was, for all purposes, a university though. An alternate school for "useful learning" (which, unlike Glasgow at that time, wasn't sectarian and upper class about it).

They teach history in colleges now as well. They don't make intellectual snobbery easy these days, do they?

The clue in the post you quoted was 'used to'.

Where did they originally teach history? Universities or colleges? (universities, by hundreds and hundreds of years)

Where did they originally teach civil engineering and the likes? Technical colleges. :D

Edited by vikingTON

There's a huge, ridiculous tree of lineage (and mergers, lots and lots of mergers) for Strathclyde in one of the offices. I believe the original institution created by John Anderson was, for all purposes, a university though. An alternate school for "useful learning" (which, unlike Glasgow at that time, wasn't sectarian and upper class about it).

Where did they originally teach history? Universities or colleges? (universities, by hundreds and hundreds of years)

Where did they originally teach civil engineering and the likes? Technical colleges. :D

I hear that you can even get history books in public libraries and book shops these days - that any old pleb is allowed to read! Soon everyone with £9.99 and an afternoon to kill will be as erudite and as knowledgable on the subject of Stalin's purges as you are!

If it wasn't for engineers then you wouldn't have a building to host your university here. I hope everytime it's absolutely pishing it down you thank yourself that you're indoors thanks to us smile.gif

I hear that you can even get history books in public libraries and book shops these days - that any old pleb is allowed to read! Soon everyone with £9.99 and an afternoon to kill will be as erudite and as knowledgable on the subject of Stalin's purges as you are!

Only with the expert guidance of a Finlay or similar would they be qualified to comment in academic terms.

:D

If it wasn't for engineers then you wouldn't have a building to host your university here. I hope everytime it's absolutely pishing it down you thank yourself that you're indoors thanks to us smile.gif

Aye and who worked out how much it cost and made sure it was built properly, aye surveyors, so the rain theory applies to us too.

Right after we finish thanking the pipefitters for keeping water in one place and out of the other. That's your level. cool.gif

Only with the expert guidance of a Finlay or similar would they be qualified to comment in academic terms.

Well, if said pleb fancied getting the £21 hardback penguin edition, and had a whole weekend to spare, I guess they could call themselves a qualified doctor of history.

Edited by renton

Well, if said pleb fancied getting the £21 hardback penguin edition, and had a whole weekend to spare, I guess you could call youself a qualified doctor of history.

Fortunately reputation counts in proper subjects, not a test on selecting the right wrench to use.

Fortunately reputation counts in proper subjects, not a test on selecting the right wrench to use.

Reputation is subjective, relative , constantly shifting and subject to trends. So with the mail order once fortnightly magazine about the English civil war, it's more than possible to find yourself espousing a historical viewpoint more in vogue, and therefore deemed more relevent than Finlay, or even yourself!

Edited by renton

Reputation is subjective, relative , constantly shifting and subject to trends. So with the mail order once fortnightly magazine about the English civil war, it's more than possible to find yourself espousing a historical viewpoint more in vogue, and therefore deemed more relevent than Finlay, or even yourself!

You've hit a beginner's mistake there: a historian has to base his argument on sources, you can't simply subscribe to secondary interpretations: that's intellectual laziness.

Engineering students must know a lot about intellectual laziness as they basically pick up books telling them the right wrench to select, when. And it never changes. cool.gif

Strathclyde, Stirling - what a bunch of diddies. Are any on the more intellectual P&Bers with me at the London School of Economics? No?

I suppose going to a Scottish clown college isn't all bad, as you don't have to pay tuition fees. Although recieving a superior education is certainly worth it.

You've hit a beginner's mistake there: a historian has to base his argument on sources, you can't simply subscribe to secondary interpretations: that's intellectual laziness.

Engineering students must know a lot about intellectual laziness as they basically pick up books telling them the right wrench to select, when. And it never changes. cool.gif

Not really, all you have to do is buy the fornightly mail order magazine and the £9.99 book (will the budget stretch to that!), strike a pose between the two viewpoints and hey presto, a new line of historical thought is born!

As for the intellectual laziness, engineers are given a complex toolkit of ideas and disciplines from which we use our imaginations to invent the world around you. Your mob lost that argument logn ago when you threw in your lot with modern studies to become a 'social science', basically trying to ape real science.

Strathclyde, Stirling - what a bunch of diddies. Are any on the more intellectual P&Bers with me at the London School of Economics? No?

I suppose going to a Scottish clown college isn't all bad, as you don't have to pay tuition fees. Although recieving a superior education is certainly worth it.

Supras is a lecturer there.

Not really, all you have to do is buy the fornightly mail order magazine and the £9.99 book (will the budget stretch to that!), strike a pose between the two viewpoints and hey presto, a new line of historical thought is born!

You wouldn't be cut out for independent thinking, I fear. :(

As for the intellectual laziness, engineers are given a complex toolkit of ideas and disciplines from which we use our imaginations to invent the world around you.

Yes, I did notice the other day that something had been wrenched in a slightly different manner from something else. I pure cared.

You wouldn't be cut out for independent thinking, I fear. :(

Did Finlay's textbooks instruct you to say that?

Yes, I did notice the other day that something had been wrenched in a slightly different manner from something else. I pure cared.

Yes, it's really amazing how versatile a wrench is. Right now you are communicating in a medium held together by very hard wrenching.

Don't worry, I'm sure your books on C18th Scottish history will be dreadfully useful in helping you to cross rivers. No doubt I'm sure your far more worthwhile subject will enable you to design vehicles and aircraft in which to travel, safely bore tunnels for trains to go through, generate electricity to run those computers you write your essays (and on here, your drivel), to design those computers you use, to design those machines that enable the mass production of those books you read, to design the most durable and effective delivery mechanism to provide you with running water in your home, to design those telecommunications masts and to choose a place most likely to deliver the best coverage to your mobile phone, which of course you'll also have to develop yourself. Maybe your academic superiority will ensure that those road networks design themselves, perhaps you'll preserve your food in a pan of water in the absence of a fridge? Perhaps you can burn a few of those books to generate a campfire to cook your food?

Don't be such a fucking intellectual snob. There is nothing remotely diddy about engineering. It contributes far more to contemporary society than a poxy arts or social science degree. And I say that as someone taking a quasi-social science degree in the form of the LLB.

Did Finlay's textbooks instruct you to say that?

Nope, Finlay only delves into philosophy by accident, as he daydreams of the two litre bottle of Stongbow awaiting him at the end of a hard day's waffling.

Yes, it's really amazing how versatile a wrench is. Right now you are communicating in a medium held together by very hard wrenching.

Engineers are the pipefitters of the Internet? Makes sense I guess.