Who's Going To Uni?

I was teaching a tutorial yesterday morning, and the folk in it were a lot better than I expected. There were supposed to be 8 of them, but only 6 turned up, and each of them was willing to contribute answers. I didn't have anything to wipe the board clean with though, so I had to use my hand which brought a great deal of amusement.

Just had my first tutorial. It was like pulling teeth. Cant stand these people who turn up to tutorials and then say literally nothing.

That really gets on my tits as well. Hate it when they do that. It's probably less so in sciencey subjects, but in law and politics stuff, the whole tutorial or seminar should really be about everyone chipping in and challenging, scrutinising and offering alternatives. Instead you get, well, 2 or 3 people max in a discussion with the tutor while everyone else looks on blankly without an opinion or at the very least no desire to express it.

I guess some people are just shy. I remember my first tutorials on UK politics, and we had a superb tutorial group. Because everyone could relate to it we could chip in with various viewpoints and the class was full of likeable sorts. The next semester we were discussing Marxism, and the difference was huge. No one cared, myself included because it was shit. Depends on the subject matter I suppose.

Now into my third year of Uni and it's a huge difference. I know have to properly work and I have gone from effectively 2 modules to 4 per semester, and it's a big leap. Especially when having to learn about neuroscience, when I'm doing a Psychology degree. Fair enough if they related it to psychology but they're not. If I wanted to study this I'd have done medicine. Relate it to psychological disorders or something!

Also I don't know if this is me, but the majority of right weirdos I've encountered are usually mature students (ie 25+). Met a couple of nice ones but most look like they cut their own hair. Anyone else noticed this around their campus?

Anyone else pissed off with courseworks atm, or is it just me??

Don't get me wrong what I'm doing is really intresting and dare I say quite fun at the same time, but it is taking a shit load of time to even complete a fraction of it and its due in 6 weeks, along with another not so intresting coursework. dry.gif Don't get me wrong, I knew what was coming, I'm just frustrated at how long it's taking me.

Well I have two essays and a multiple-thousand word dissertation to write up in the next six weeks, so cry me a fucking river.

Diddums, cost estimate plan for a brand new office block, multiple thousand word investigation report and 3 essays in the next six weeks, so cry me a fucking river. dry.gif

Just thought I would share that I successfully completed my Mentorship in Professional Practice module at University of West of Scotland. Go me. Not bad for someone who hasn't done any academic writing since 2004 :ph34r:

I actually quite enjoyed it despite doing it whilst off sick (think that might have helped timewise) so I may look into doing some more modules and actually finishing off my degree

Well done!

After 5 weeks of not getting time to complete the registration forms for my OU module I've decided now maybe isn't the best time to start!

Anyone else pissed off with courseworks atm, or is it just me??

Don't get me wrong what I'm doing is really intresting and dare I say quite fun at the same time, but it is taking a shit load of time to even complete a fraction of it and its due in 6 weeks, along with another not so intresting coursework. dry.gif Don't get me wrong, I knew what was coming, I'm just frustrated at how long it's taking me.

I wouldn't say I'm pissed off with it but it's a tad annoying when you have to do three tutorial presentations, two essays (probably round about 1500 words each), a group task that takes 6 weeks to complete, and three 2000 word essays in 11 weeks. That's without taking all the tutorial and lecture reading into account.

I'll get through it but I reserve the right to bitch and moan about it <_<

Diddums, cost estimate plan for a brand new office block, multiple thousand word investigation report and 3 essays in the next six weeks, so cry me a fucking river. dry.gif

Are you doing a real subject or a diddy subject?

Are you doing a real subject or a diddy subject?

Well I get a designated job at the end of it, so I'm going to plump for a real subject.

I'm not doing art or languages if thats what you mean by diddy subject.

Well I get a designated job at the end of it, so I'm going to plump for a real subject.

I'm not doing art or languages if thats what you mean by diddy subject.

By your immediate defensiveness on the issue I'm going to plump for diddy subject. :D

By your immediate defensiveness on the issue I'm going to plump for diddy subject. :D

I'm studying Building Surveying, after I get my degree, I'll have 2 years then I'm chartered, so I'm going to say not a diddy subject. :P

I'll actually have a job. :D

I'm studying Building Surveying, after I get my degree, I'll have 2 years then I'm chartered, so I'm going to say not a diddy subject. :P

I'll actually have a job. :D

I'm afraid you've passed the first test of diddiness with flying colours: universities never have and never ought to be a job factory. When Charles V opened Prague University in 1348 his first thought wasn't, 'great, now we'll have lots of building surveyors getting chartered to finish the castle'. Proper university subjects are about the acquiring of knowledge, of articulation, analysis and above all questioning and reason.

All we have to do is confirm what university to go to and I can charter you with an official diddy stamp right now, no two year wait required. :D