The New Raith Rovers Thread

As long as we are your bogie team [emoji6]

We generally have a history of high scoring games.

The time we were 3-0 up with 10 minutes to go and drew 3-3 was one of the funniest things I’ve seen since we booed the team out for the second half against Hamilton while 4-0 down.

It’s not a new thing what they are doing.

just look at Brora from a few years back.

There are a few part time teams that operate this way. It’s a good way at using what you have to convince guys to move. It helps your company with staffing and helps your team to convince bigger players to the club. 

Railway work isn’t cheap so if you train the guys yourself you may get them a bit cheaper than fully qualified guys and the guys will be happy getting a much higher paid job than most can get otherwise...

I would hope that when we have a Tuesday night fixture, no favours will be shown to the  "new" employees and they will be worked hard - get in at 11-ish, tidy the staff room, test the sofas for comfort, that kind of thing.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

British jobs 4 British workers

I suppose that has a more aesthetic  ring to it than Vale of Leven jobs for Dumbarton players.

Edited by Scottydog

2 hours ago, Rover the Moon said:

What exactly are all these Dumbarton players doing in their "part-time" job with C&G Systems on the railways? What skills do all these full-time footballers have that are so desirable for this company? Seems more than a bit shady.

Disappointing to lose out on a signing to a rival but Loy is not necessarily the world beater he's being made out to be. Time will tell.

Pleased with Gillespie but more needed. Next.

I hope they give them compulsory overtime on a daily basis!!

I think the big loser in this situation is C&G Systems staff trainer.

In all seriousness, as much as I’m sure everything between the sponsor and club is watertight, having the future of your playing squad reliant on an ongoing relationship with a railroad company seems, well, unorthodox.

But aye, Y WEE NAW GO PRT TIEM?
I think its an absolutely cracking deal. Not only does it allow players to play part time AND BE PAID for that. It also ensures they have a full time job which will give them skills in a well known high paid industry that will give then certificates and skills they can use AFTER they hang up there boots within the next 3,4,5 (or however many) years. This is maybe (to guys like Loy and Forbes) a far more attractive prospect than bumbling through coaching badgesin Largs just to have a crack at trying to guide Berwick to the league 2 title on a budget of 2 Flumps and a strawberry lace.

It’s not a new thing what they are doing.
just look at Brora from a few years back.
There are a few part time teams that operate this way.

Exactly. They’ll be plenty that do. I’m sure years ago when Ross County were part time Roy MacGregor employed folk through Global Energy. Even Nairn County used to do it with their chairman and Narden.

I think it's telling that all the players we've signed so far are in their early-mid 20s while we can't seem to entice players around the 30 mark to sign for us. By that age most of these guys will be turning their thoughts to a career after football so if an offer of employment is available such as it was in the case of Thomson and the likes of Loy and Forbes then we're struggling to compete with that.

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Smith looking for 5 more signings.clipping (2).jpg

" we know the guys we want to bring in"

Aye, guys who never had any interest in model railways as a kid.

Goalies: Thomson, new guy

Defence: New RB, Davidson, Bene, Murray, McKay, Watson, Valentine

Midfield: Gillespie, Matthews, Vaughan, New CM, New Winger, Berry, Stevenson

Attack: Buchanan, Duggan, New Forward

Can’t see anything other than Vaughan being used primarily wide if it’s four more outfield players to arrive, and clearly given the interest in Loy one of them will be a striker.

Still looks very thin.