The New Raith Rovers Thread

Best move for both parties to be honest. 
Agree. He's been a brilliant servant to the club, but it was the right time for us to go different paths. Ideally our new right back will be younger and can get down the wing a bit more, rather than some of the hoofs or touches he used to take.

13 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

In the PFA team of the season. And if there was one real positive in the Raith team last season it was their defence. Won a lot of close games. He’s only 30 and he’s a total unit. I doubt we’d find any better for this league to be honest, if we do get him.

Thanks for telling us about him. Good to know.

That draw is the problem with the new league cup system. We've played Cove and Cowdenbeath recently. Inverness is also a poor draw. The way it's set up it's almost impossible for the likes of us to qualify so hopefully we can build up some form for the league campaign.

It’s definitely harder to qualify with groups in place, but we are more likely to get the likes of Hearts, and last season Dundee and Dundee United, in the draw.

For me it’s a fairly attractive draw. Possibility of a couple of decent away games in good weather. Hearts home or away will also be good.

Hmm. He had noticeably regressed but think it'll still be difficult to replace him. 

He was probably one of the higher earners in the squad so with reductions in the budget I think this is probably best for both parties. Good luck to him in his future career. 

Not one for all this 'been a great servant' pish. Thomson has been awful the last two seasons and is only going to get worse. I for one will be glad to see the back of him. Would be pleased to see him sign for Arbroath or another title rival. 

Not totally confident it’s best for both parties.

I thought he was pretty poor in our relegation season, (weren’t they all?) but was adequate last season, and whilst his downturn means I’m not sad to see him go, my worry is how we go about replacing him.

There weren’t too many better right-backs at this level last term, and we’ll presumably be the least attractive full-time team to play for in the season coming up.

We’ll probably be in the market for guys like David Smith who’s just been released by Dumbarton, which would hardly be an upgrade.

Barry Smith has a pretty difficult rebuilding job ahead of him.

Not totally confident it’s best for both parties.

I thought he was pretty poor in our relegation season, (weren’t they all?) but was adequate last season, and whilst his downturn means I’m not sad to see him go, my worry is how we go about replacing him.

There weren’t too many better right-backs at this level last term, and we’ll presumably be the least attractive full-time team to play for in the season coming up.

We’ll probably be in the market for guys like David Smith who’s just been released by Dumbarton, which would hardly be an upgrade.

Barry Smith has a pretty difficult rebuilding job ahead of him.

Don’t worry Smith has joined Stranraer

31 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I’d missed that, pretty relieved though. He was one of the umpteen dozen jobbers we got on loan from Hearts a few years back.

I remember he had one game at Starks against Falkirk for us where they stuck two players marking him and he was ruining them. He was then useless for the rest of his time. 

I remember he had one game at Starks against Falkirk for us where they stuck two players marking him and he was ruining them. He was then useless for the rest of his time. 

Think he scored the equaliser that day before Grant Anderson got the winner and you’re right. Everything before and after was curiously guff though.

I thought Jason Thomson had a pretty decent season last year but was definitely poor the relegation campaign.

I'm quite happy to see him go now though as I'd opt for giving Jamie Watson more game time as you'd like to think that with Bene (hopefully), Murray and Davo signed up there's enough experience there to bring through the younger guys like McKay, Watson, Valentine and McDonald.  I'd prefer to see a new Left Back signed and 3 of the best options for the No 3 shirt have Hibs connections. Signing Callum Booth would be brilliant but I doubt he'd fancy coming to us, Same might be said for Callum Crane who may end up in the Championship. I'd not be against taking young Sean Mackie on loan either though.  The more I think about it I'm all for signing only 1 more defender and going with what we've got, hell we could go with a back 3 of Bene, Davo and Murray (like McGlynn did with Campbell, Lumsden and Andrews) but I think Smith lacks the imagination for that.

If Duggan signs then I think as long as Vaughan stays we might be looking at a couple in on loan from one of the usual suspects (Hearts again). but I'd doubt we will be looking to sign anyone ourselves.

Midfield is surely the biggest worry, it needs completely rebuilt and if there are six new faces being signed then half of that has to be putting together a strong unit.

Edited by Scottydog

I’d missed that, pretty relieved though. He was one of the umpteen dozen jobbers we got on loan from Hearts a few years back.

We’ll always have that Falkirk game. Think that was the only decent game that season under boring, boring Murray.

I feel bad about slagging Murray as he was one of my favourite ever Rovers players. On paper he was also a brilliant Rovers manager but watching Rovers under him was a joyless experience, despite the cup heroics.

David Smith was a one game wonder.