The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, true_rover said:
3 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:
My point was/is plastic pitches.

Which East Fife also have.

They had the gritters in last night.

Mr Sim seems to think that there will be no call offs due to frost with plastic pitches, imagine spending a load of money on a pitch and having to cancel hires due to having to cover the pitch.

Your point on plastic pitches is wrong though. How many Alloa games get called off normally? Much less than those in Kirkaldy because the pitch maximises the weather you can play in.  Just this week the mix of plenty of rain and sub -5C temperatures has combined to make our pitch unplayable. Likely tomorrow with the rain and higher temperatures it will be playable or it better be since I'm hopefully playing on Sunday night.

Could they not have covered the pitch ??

10 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

Could they not have covered the pitch ??

Made this point in our thread that the next thing we could do is buy covers for the park. But if that only saves 1% more of the games than currently is it really worth the financial outlay?

The second point was that ours is a community pitch that is used every day of the week. On Tuesday and Wednesday the park was played on but it rained on the park. This then froze and temperatures never rose to thaw out the park. So even if covers were put down after they were done would it have saved the sodden park from freezing up? Probably not.

Of course you could just cancel football every week in case weather is bad during the winter... But then there'd be no point in an artificial pitch if you're using it once a week...

I might be wrong but I think a high percentage of people who are dead against the plastic pitches have never set foot on one or actually played a game on one. 
I'd choose playing on them as opposed to grass every time. 

Really? Weird.

A good or decent grass pitch is a million times better.

If that was the case they’d be playing on them in the Premier League.

49 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I might be wrong but I think a high percentage of people who are dead against the plastic pitches have never set foot on one or actually played a game on one. 

I'd choose playing on them as opposed to grass every time. 

I'm the same. I've played on good grass parks and at the top level when you can spend millions to maintain it like a carpet you can but give me the choice of the tatty field at Brechin or our surface and I'll play on ours every day of the week.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Really? Weird.

A good or decent grass pitch is a million times better.

If that was the case they’d be playing on them in the Premier League.

There's nothing weird about it.

It'd be interesting to see how split professional players would be.

There's nothing weird about it. It'd be interesting to see how split professional players would be.

They done a survey of 700 SPFL players and it turned out players were 73-27 percent in favour of playing on ‘deteriorated grass pitches’ compared to plastic ones in Scotland.

Interestingly enough that’s about about the same percentage of grass parks to plastic parks from the 42 clubs.

Killie

Hamilton

Falkirk

East Fife

Annan

Montrose

Forfar

Clyde

Airdrie

East Fife

QoTS

Alloa

Stenny

Edinburgh for now

14 out of 42.

There’s no question that players prefer grass.

3 minutes ago, Raith25 said:

Being 8 points behind at this stage feels like a boot in the baws, appreciate we should win our games in hand but far from ideal

Why should a team who've won 2 from 7 away beat a side who've won 5 from 7 at home?