The New Raith Rovers Thread

26 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

All of this

Why do clubs not have a contingency fund for the likes of this ( maybe they do)instead if being hit with a bill for 14 k.I know moneys tight but much like when you set a household budget funds are put away for the likes of house insurance etc etc 

Club could of course put both players on NHS waiting list(10-12 weeks)instead of private saving themselves 14 k ;)

We can't afford rainy day funds in this climate, also we used to have insurance but it's too expensive and in the past our Ins' Co's have refused to pay out.

3 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Ps heard that McHatties injury is the same or related to previous injury/ operation.An error of judgement in signing him?.Craig Barr mark 2?

McHatties injury is related to the hernia injury, some players develop the secondary complication and some don't with our injuries luck it was nailed on it would happen.  As for signing him in the 1st place Smith took a chance on him same as we did with Craig Barr last 2 seasons. I would have preferred to bring in someone else but there supposedly wasn't anyone else (he was the last signing) with experience available at the time and Smith wanted seasoned defenders.  

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Did they get a direct quote, or was the jurno in the 200 club ?

Well it wisnae fae me!   It really want a 200 club scoop though, The chairman came in and a member asked who was hopefully signing (a direct question) he was given a straight reply and told that due to medical costs it would no longer likely be happening.  

Mind you I wasn't within earshot so didn't hear the actual conversation so it might have been something like "psssst neebs, we'v changed wur minds about signing anyone cos' wur skint, pass it on.

Like most are saying I'm just glad we aren't spending whats's not there. The football club rely on different sums of money being paid to them at different times of the year and they knew there was money coming which they hoped to allot to Smith for a loanee. Neither Cuthbert nor McHattie were expecting to be told that they'd need another operation even thought that would always have been a possibility. In that respect as Renton said the club should definitely have sat on the money and said nowt until the Friday at the earliest.

Edited by Scottydog

Its a farce the way they have gone about it.Leaked to random supporters in the 200 club,then to the FFP unless Elder has picked up from here.The square root of f**k all on official website
Bene gets injured,board announce no money to bring a player in.Few days/ a week later,funds have been found/ released for BS to bring in a loanee defender/player.A few days later the board/ supporter/ reporter announce  due to medical costs no money to bring in loanee player.
Thought we had left last season behind us
Ps heard that McHatties injury is the same or related to previous injury/ operation.An error of judgement in signing him?.Craig Barr mark 2?

Communication between the club and fans could definitely do with improving. Leaks seem to be the preferred means of communication.

It feels like Smith doesn't rate the youths all that much if I'm honest. When he took the job there were naturally comments made to him about the importance of youth this season and he would always say they'll get a chance 'if they're good enough'. The odd 10 minutes here or there is probably not enough to help them get to the level they need to be at but the fact he's reluctant to move Robertson back to CM and play, say McKay there, kind of tells it's own story about what he'd rather do with the team. Notice he says in the FFP article the youths 'might' get a chance however if he wants Robertson back in the middle he might have to bite the bullet and go down that route unless he does something radge like put Matthew at LB, move Murray to CB alongside Davo allowing Robertson to partner Herron at CM.

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

We can't afford rainy day funds in this climate, also we used to have insurance but it's too expensive and in the past our Ins' Co's have refused to pay out.

McHatties injury is related to the hernia injury, some players develop the secondary complication and some don't with our injuries luck it was nailed on it would happen.  As for signing him in the 1st place Smith took a chance on him same as we did with Craig Barr last 2 seasons. I would have preferred to bring in someone else but there supposedly wasn't anyone else (he was the last signing) with experience available at the time and Smith wanted seasoned defenders.  

Well it wisnae fae me!   It really want a 200 club scoop though, The chairman came in and a member asked who was hopefully signing (a direct question) he was given a straight reply and told that due to medical costs it would no longer likely be happening.  

Mind you I wasn't within earshot so didn't hear the actual conversation so it might have been something like "psssst neebs, we'v changed wur minds about signing anyone cos' wur skint, pass it on.

Like most are saying I'm just glad we aren't spending whats's not there. The football club rely on different sums of money being paid to them at different times of the year and they knew there was money coming which they hoped to allot to Smith for a loanee. Neither Cuthbert nor McHattie were expecting to be told that they'd need another operation even thought that would always have been a possibility. In that respect as Renton said the club should definitely have sat on the money and said nowt until the Friday at the earliest.

Many households technically cant afford rainy days funds in this climate but have to

Money in from Callahan,which I suspect was desperately needed for another debt hence the transfer( cynical)5k from McMillan club,do they stipulate where that is to be used or does it just go into the black hole.?With the restructuring of the club no monthly rental although unknown when we last had to pay that.Finally,if our new owner has any funds set aside for a dreaded plastic pitch,ditch the idea .Would rather see it used elsewhere and get out this division

24 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Many households technically cant afford rainy days funds in this climate but have to

Households can borrow money from a bank or put it temporarily on a credit card. The club doesn't have this option.

It still amazes me that fans think the club can have the luxury of having a secret pot of money somewhere they can call upon in case of emergencies when accounts from the last few years have shown them losing money and cash flow from one month to the next a huge problem. The club, like most other clubs in Scotland exists hand to mouth. 

And even in the unlikely event of a magical money pot existing, then using it to fund another defender when we've won every game since McHattie and Bene's injury, are top of the league and have youth players we can bring in who we are already paying would seem like very poor use of scarce finance.

Edited by roverthemoon

31 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Who told you there was no monthly rental?

Guessing

21 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Great idea.  Invest future money now. The Rangers model. What could possibly go wrong? 

I,m against the idea of a plastic pitch full stop so it wouldn,t be investing future money.I,d rather see any money earmarked for that used elsewhere

Edited by Rovers_Lad

27 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Households can borrow money from a bank or put it temporarily on a credit card. The club doesn't have this option.

A large percentage cant

Anyway,i,ll not live long enough to hear our club say they,re not skint.We bounce from on crisis to another.We even made a loss the season sevco were in our division,cup tie against celtic,play off games and hefty wedge for league position

47 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Money in from Callahan,which I suspect was desperately needed for another debt hence the transfer( cynical)5k from McMillan club,do they stipulate where that is to be used or does it just go into the black hole.?With the restructuring of the club no monthly rental although unknown when we last had to pay that.Finally,if our new owner has any funds set aside for a dreaded plastic pitch,ditch the idea .Would rather see it used elsewhere and get out this division

As posted elsewhere households can do rainy day funds but for football clubs it's not so easy.  A rainy day fund is a great idea if it only rains occasionally, unfortunately with the deluge of rainy days the club encounters any such fund (unless underwritten by a millionaire) would be overwhelmed/swamped on a monthly if not weekly basis. You only have to look at the state of the floodlights which the last time I saw them lit had more lamps out than in, then there's the taxmen who will be demanding their pond of flesh and unlike other creditors aren't willing to wait. There are so many things that need sorting it's basically amounts to firefighting.

As for Callachans transfer I couldn't say for sure but I have a sneaky feeling the club were actually made a good offer and as such it was too good to refuse (i.e. it was more than the reputed amount of £35,000).

I can't say for sure what happens with any money given by forum members (or possibly anyone else) but if they ask for shares in return I think that negates any right (if it ever existed) to tell the club what they want  the cash used.

37 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Guessing

I,m against the idea of a plastic pitch full stop so it wouldn,t be investing future money.I,d rather see any money earmarked for that used elsewhere

I'm no fan of putting in a plastic pitch but my understanding is that it will save the club money by meaning that we no longer have to hire training facilities in Glenrothes and could actually generate income if managed properly. If you don't put in a plastic pitch then you'd save money at that point but it would likely reduce our budget long term.

Either way I suspect there's not a pot of money in this years budget for a plastic pitch but it's from next years revenue so it's probably kind of irrelevant to the funding another defender debate.

Edited by roverthemoon

30 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I can't say for sure what happens with any money given by forum members (or possibly anyone else) but if they ask for shares in return I think that negates any right (if it ever existed) to tell the club what they want  the cash used.

Given the restructuring I think the forum or fans shareholding is effectively meaningless now.  Sim calls all the shots. 

9 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

We have to just get on with it, we've been doing well so far so I'll let Barry decide on his formations. Kudos to Graeme Smith he's been solid in goal since arriving

have you got the wooden spoon out to do a bit stirring

nobody who watches Raith Rovers could possibly think that Smith was "solid"

have you got the wooden spoon out to do a bit stirring
nobody who watches Raith Rovers could possibly think that Smith was "solid"

Erm nope. I'm actually quite serious. Conceded 1 goal and marshalls his defence really well, and that's a makeshift defence at that. Ok he has a fear of crosses, but a lot of gk's do

Erm nope. I'm actually quite serious. Conceded 1 goal and marshalls his defence really well, and that's a makeshift defence at that. Ok he has a fear of crosses, but a lot of gk's do

He’s barely had anything to do... the saves he’s made have been simple with the exception of the one early on against Airdie. His distribution is fantastic but he’s been very shaky.