The New Raith Rovers Thread

29 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to hear Smith being linked with the Ross County and Falkirk jobs*

* for Zen’s benefit not doing both jobs at the same time obviously.

Where we are in the league is probably where most people think we should be (except those with a KA postcode).

therefore I don't think he will be on any shortlist  

5 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Where we are in the league is probably where most people think we should be (except those with a KA postcode).

therefore I don't think he will be on any shortlist  

Agree with this. He also comes across as a fairly quiet, humble guy in the media which I like but I think a lot of clubs are after bigger characters. 

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to hear Smith being linked with the Ross County and Falkirk jobs*

* for Zen’s benefit not doing both jobs at the same time obviously.

I don't know what you mean, your statement makes perfect sense, probably.

53 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Agree with this. He also comes across as a fairly quiet, humble guy in the media which I like but I think a lot of clubs are after bigger characters. 

Can't see either club looking at him. He does seem a very reserved character,  but I'd imagine he's quite open. The players seem to speak fondly of him, albeit that might be with the trauma of John Hughes fresh in their mind (mano-a-mano).

2 hours ago, rw89 said:

Can't see either club looking at him. He does seem a very reserved character,  but I'd imagine he's quite open. The players seem to speak fondly of him, albeit that might be with the trauma of John Hughes fresh in their mind (mano-a-mano).

Don't get me wrong. I like his style and his management so far has been near perfect. It's a bit John McGlynn like.  interested in the game and the players but less so in the media side.  These sort of quiet, effective characters tend to get overlooked for the bigger jobs for guys who are better at self promotion, Hughes being the prime example. 

Edited by roverthemoon

I would be shocked if Smith's name was anywhere near those shortlists. 

I wouldn't be shocked if his name was mentioned. It will be a bit down the list and classed as 'uninspiring' but I wouldn't be surprised if his name cropped up.

I would be shocked if Smith's name was anywhere near those shortlists. 

I wouldn't. Early days but he's doing well for us. There aren't that many obvious choices and Falkirk Manager and Ross County Manager are not particularly attractive posts.

Who are the current outstanding managers up here?

I wouldn't be shocked if his name was mentioned. It will be a bit down the list and classed as 'uninspiring' but I wouldn't be surprised if his name cropped up.

I wouldn't. Early days but he's doing well for us. There aren't that many obvious choices and Falkirk Manager and Ross County Manager are not particularly attractive posts.

Who are the current outstanding managers up here?

He might get a mention in the press, as the height of journalism up here will involve a quick scan through the leagues to see what teams are doing well, but I doubt either of the BoD at Falkirk or Ross County will have him on a shortlist.

Allan Johnston, Jim Duffy, Paul Hartley, Steve Aitken, Jack Ross, David Hopkin all seem like better options to me. Jim McIntyre would be a shout for Falkirk and then for more left field options there are the likes of Dave Mackay and Stewart Petrie, both of whom have started their managerial careers promisingly, and the usual amount of ex players and coaches looking for a break in management.

He might get a mention in the press, as the height of journalism up here will involve a quick scan through the leagues to see what teams are doing well, but I doubt either of the BoD at Falkirk or Ross County will have him on a shortlist.

Allan Johnston, Jim Duffy, Paul Hartley, Steve Aitken, Jack Ross, David Hopkin all seem like better options to me. Jim McIntyre would be a shout for Falkirk and then for more left field options there are the likes of Dave Mackay and Stewart Petrie, both of whom have started their managerial careers promisingly, and the usual amount of ex players and coaches looking for a break in management.

Are you a member of the press?

12 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Are you a member of the press?

I should be, because the 2 minutes thought I put into that list is probably more than  the research the average reporter does.

It's just a list of managers who I would argue have achieved more impressive results in their careers so far than Smith has. There is absolutely no danger he would interest a club of the stature of Falkirk or Ross County on the basis of the start we've made.