The New Raith Rovers Thread

30 minutes ago, Wullie McNaught said:

Sure we had a spell in the 50's when we wore dark blue with two gold hoops. That'd certainly be unique.

Gets my vote, white with 2 blue hoops is shite, it's pandering to the now grey pound.

Our main colour is blue, so any top should be mostly blue.

Edited by Beastie Russell

This may seem a petty argument but hear me out.

I think it's a bit daft to be playing lots of older songs before games and at ht etc. If we want to encourage the next generation along, then when they do come having what is popular at the time is probably the best way to go with it. It will just seem like an old man's club to them if that's the sort of thing they are hearing at games and may make it less enjoyable for them.

The younger fans are the future of the club so we really need to start catering towards them more.

Understandably there are many of the older generation who enjoy those songs and it will add to their experience on the day but we really need to be trying to attract new, younger fans along.

The club are doing some good things to encourage younger fans along, the likes of at ht with the young guys on the pitch playing, the competitions etc. You can't really moan about people not turning up (drysdale) then give them a shite experience when they do.

Not sure if you take your kids along or not grant but if you do, have they enjoyed the experience? Mate of mine takes his grand kids along and they are bored before the game kicks off.

Its little things that could make a difference.

On a side note, one of the mascots on Saturday looked to be unwell, just wondering if anyone knows the circumstances?

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

This may seem a petty argument but hear me out.

I think it's a bit daft to be playing lots of older songs before games and at ht etc. If we want to encourage the next generation along, then when they do come having what is popular at the time is probably the best way to go with it. It will just seem like an old man's club to them if that's the sort of thing they are hearing at games and may make it less enjoyable for them.

The younger fans are the future of the club so we really need to start catering towards them more.

Understandably there are many of the older generation who enjoy those songs and it will add to their experience on the day but we really need to be trying to attract new, younger fans along.

I think we could offer a change in the music, but I don't think it'd offer much of an influence. In all honesty, it's good they offer people a choice as we used to just play the same tunes from about 2012 over and over each week.  

The club need to get more of a presence about the town. It's good they've started to encourage people to put up posters (I'm of the view it's something we should try to do anyway) but we're at a massive disadvantage in that like all clubs at this level, we're competing against the Premier League, Barca and Real, The Old Firm/Hibs/Hearts with the additional factor of the Flyers who offer an alternative. In fairness to the club, there's a lot going on to try to bring in younger kids. Maybe less so on the teens front, which is a lot harder to market to.  

The club are doing some good things to encourage younger fans along, the likes of at ht with the young guys on the pitch playing, the competitions etc. You can't really moan about people not turning up (drysdale) then give them a shite experience when they do.

Not sure if you take your kids along or not grant but if you do, have they enjoyed the experience? Mate of mine takes his grand kids along and they are bored before the game kicks off.

Its little things that could make a difference.

My oldest goes, (he's 10) but he quite likes the football in general, which helps. We aren't usually down until about quarter to 3. So it is hard to gauge what the experience is like for the kids. They have the throwing the ball at roary thing as well.
Would a better kids selection in the club shop would maybe help? (i know that is easier said than done).
Agree with the half time comp, even local kids teams given a chance each week? Most teams do it nowadays. H/t penalties were always a favourite as well.

Dad: “you want to go back to the Rovers next week son?”

Son: “nut, the musics gash”

Its all about the overall experience. It was a small thing as stated. Make it good for the younger generation from start to finish that is what I'm getting at. I'm only 20 odd myself but I enjoy the older music better than the likes of Taylor Swift. Seing the old boys around me tapping their knees while the kids look bored isn't helping in the experience for the next generation of fans.

The posters are a good move for publicising but once there we need to keep them there. That's where I feel we have failed in recent years.

Roarys half time competition has been good buchan30. We need more of that sort of thing.

8 hours ago, foreverarover said:

I'd be curious to find out how much extra it is to open the north stand and have a regular roary rover kids stand for this season. With half time activities.

My boy (aged10) prefers the south stand, especially when he can join in the signing with the odd sweary word, people watch fans getting a bit excited, and listen to the baffling comments.

We've been to the north stand on family days which he enjoys, but he prefers the south stand.

The stuff for kids is one of the few fronts the club can't be criticised on. It's night and day from what it was a few years ago with The Roary Club, the half time competition, family days, Roary there every Saturday, local clubs on pitch and even more kids stuff in the shop lately. Not sure what else people are looking for. Also, the music is chosen by the fans every week. If parents or kids want to hear more modern tunes or child appropriate music (whatever that is) then you could always just request it.