The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 minutes ago, The Real Ceecilia said:

Apologies for bringing up old ground, but can any of you give a summary of the Colin McGowan era at your club and what other characters were around at that point ?

Short, McGowan and some dodgy boy from Dundee who's name escapes me. 

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Safe standing:lol:

If somehow you could get standing back at Starks then why wouldn't you just get regular terracing? It would be cheaper for a start

Well you obviously plan ahead for every eventuality. IF we were to get in to the Premiership, you need safe standing.

1 minute ago, The Real Ceecilia said:

Wasnt around at the time, but how was he thought of by the fans ? Was he a success ? Any other 'notable' directors ? Leave you in a good state?

No. Almost bankrupted us, we had to sell our best players and stadium to stay afloat.

Wasnt around at the time, but how was he thought of by the fans ? Was he a success ? Any other 'notable' directors ? Leave you in a good state?

Badly, no, Alex Short and Danny Smith, and no.

That pretty much covers it. I read he's getting involved at Airdrie. I'm on my app so can't see who you support but Airdrie fans should be viewing his involvement with maximum suspicion.

5 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Badly, no, Alex Short and Danny Smith, and no.

That pretty much covers it. I read he's getting involved at Airdrie. I'm on my app so can't see who you support but Airdrie fans should be viewing his involvement with maximum suspicion.

Frankie Donaldson there too ?

Bad decisions...or dodgy activity?

Everything about the club is ageing. The club for as much as they have done, haven't done enough to encourage the next generation through the gates. Look at the applause (or lack there of) Rory gets on a Saturday. I don't know the answer to this but the problem is very noticeable. John sim and the board have their work cut out to make it a viable business long term.

There people who don't go to Rovers games because it's all seating so I think you are maybe a wee bit wrong with your observation.

IMO the only people moaning about having standing are the drunken singers all 20 or so of them and possibly a handful more. I know it's our club but I'd expect stay away fans won't wish to pay the same to stand as sit. Housing the away in the keytech stand if it has its own facilities would free up both stands for movement of home fans.

I'd love it if we could switch ends but it's a non-starter given how tricky it would be. I don't think we could have folk go round the back of the railway stand, and then having stewarts etc moving too. Would it even be possible feasible to open up the railway stand for fans? 

In the few games I've been in the Czech republic we could do something similar to what some of the smaller clubs do. If you move the turnstiles to the top of the ramp area you can utilise the area to the rear of the stand for seating for a beer garden or similar. You can then access the whole home and away end excluding the keytech stand. This would be minimum outlay of one wall and moving turnstiles.

Frankie Donaldson there too ?
Bad decisions...or dodgy activity?

There were stories in the press of Donaldson's involvement but the board strongly denied it. From memory I think they said Donaldson was occasionally a guest of the board but that was it.

There were many bad decisions. Highlights being the transfer of our three best players to Livingston for virtually nothing and the appointment of Claude Anelka as manager. I think they oversaw the sale of the ground as well but could be mistaken. McGowan also took to the press at one point and threatened to turn Stark's Park into flats after receiving flak from the fans.

All in all it was a nightmare spell for the club.

Posted on the Airdrie thread a few days ago, McGowan is pretty much a defcon 1 in terms of the red alert of shady c***s you don't want involved in your club. Along with Alex Short, and their cronies, Rovers were never far away from the front pages of the red tops every couple of months with some dodgy scheme or individual involved.  The perfect example being the Claude Anelka fiasco which started with him. Eventually, we ousted them through Reclaim the Rovers, but it left us in a shit tonne of debt. As Ro Sham Bo says, McGowan threatened to flatten Stark's for use as flats. He still trots out interviews from time to time in the papers about his involvement at Accies and their youth set up, but he's a total bellend. 

Just now, foreverarover said:

In the few games I've been in the Czech republic we could do something similar to what some of the smaller clubs do. If you move the turnstiles to the top of the ramp area you can utilise the area to the rear of the stand for seating for a beer garden or similar. You can then access the whole home and away end excluding the keytech stand. This would be minimum outlay of one wall and moving turnstiles.

Police Scotland would no doubt have something to say. A great idea though, albeit there might be some who point to the 200 club/raith suite. 

Beware about soft loans. There's nothing soft about 850k. It's probably getting juggled about but someone somewhere owes it. We were told our loans were soft then someone new took over a bank and looked for it. Next thing we were nearly dead.
If you have a supporters meeting ask specifically who the money is owed to and why not just write it off? I smell BS

Posted on the Airdrie thread a few days ago, McGowan is pretty much a defcon 1 in terms of the red alert of shady c***s you don't want involved in your club. Along with Alex Short, and their cronies, Rovers were never far away from the front pages of the red tops every couple of months with some dodgy scheme or individual involved.  The perfect example being the Claude Anelka fiasco which started with him. Eventually, we ousted them through Reclaim the Rovers, but it left us in a shit tonne of debt. As Ro Sham Bo says, McGowan threatened to flatten Stark's for use as flats. He still trots out interviews from time to time in the papers about his involvement at Accies and their youth set up, but he's a total bellend. 
Police Scotland would no doubt have something to say. A great idea though, albeit there might be some who point to the 200 club/raith suite. 

I refuse to pay a membership to get into a pub aka the 200 club. That could be opened up with a massive bar and covered outdoor seating.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Safe standing:lol:

If somehow you could get standing back at Starks then why wouldn't you just get regular terracing? It would be cheaper for a start

Think safe standing has just become a generic term by many for all standing as it keeps getting used by major clubs, pretty sure you are correct in that terracing is allowed at Prem level was it not part of the SPFL where they got rid of the 6000 seats rule? and the only reason Celtic put in 'Safe Standing' was as they need to be able to change from standing to seats for Europe.   

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Beware about soft loans. There's nothing soft about 850k. It's probably getting juggled about but someone somewhere owes it. We were told our loans were soft then someone new took over a bank and looked for it. Next thing we were nearly dead.
If you have a supporters meeting ask specifically who the money is owed to and why not just write it off? I smell BS

Agree and is concerning that a club of our size is still sitting with a debt of 1 mill and apparently losing thousands year on year.

Regards Sims interview and not decrying him for his vision/ proposals/ ideas but that could have come from any supporter in the South Stand.Talk of improving match day experience i dont get.I turn up watch my team hopefully play good football,hopefully win,happy with that

Edited by Rovers_Lad

11 hours ago, 2711 said:

Mr Sim stated something in his interview about refurbing the ground to make it a 6 thousand capacity. I can't see him knocking down the stands behind the goals, both of those would give us that capacity. Are his plans then to do away with the railway and main stands?

I might be wrong, but as I understand it, the North and South stand are built in sections, so you could conceivably give them a haircut, if you like.